1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

ThunderMax, Cardboard

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by lwedwards, Mar 15, 2010.

1. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

Cardboard I install the ThunderMax on my 2002 Ultra Classic this weekend. I let it run until it reached 275 degrees like it said and then went for a long ride up and down hills and at different speeds, along with a couple of stops. It's getting better each time but it takes longer to start when it is hot vs. cold. When cold you hit the starter button and it starts right up, but when hot it takes about 10 seconds to start. Also I am getting a cough back in the intake when I shut it off and when starting when it is hot.
    In one of your post you said " When you install the tmax, configure it to allow max changes per session vice the default 20% @ 5 % per session and it will learn with fewer on/off cycles.....I set mine to 25% and 10% and it only took a full day of riding with several stops for gas. piss and pepsi to get her done...then follow up with "read off sets", then "write off sets to module" and you are good to go for another 25% and 10% per session." I can't find where to do this.
    Sorry for the long post.
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Did you do the initial set up turnin the bike on and off for 30 seconds 3 times.
    And in the program did you make sure you checked Auto Tune.
    Is the auto tune cord plugged into the dianostic plug that the dealer uses.

When its warm as soon as you turn the key on hit the starter button, don't wait.

youtube has a lot of videos on the Thundermax that might help.

YouTube - Basic Set Up for the ThunderMax EFI System

Also you can call Thundermax and talk to the technicial dept.
    I would call early and have the Thundermax hooked up to the computer if possible.
    They will help you with yer questions.
    They will help you faster than I can answer yer questions not being at the bike.
  3. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

Thanks, yes I did the on/off three times 30 seconds each. I quite waiting on the light to go out long ago, turn it on and hit the switch. It runs better each time I ride. I only get about 20 minutes a ride now as it is to work and back. Have to wait on the weekend to go longer, but that will end for a while I have to go in Wednesday for carpal tunnel surgey, so I will not be able to ride for awhile.
  4. cardboard

Hate to hear about yer surgery.
    Hope everything goes well.

And remember The folks at Zippers Tech support will help you with any problems you have.

You have a great unit.
  5. motorcycle czar

motorcycle czar New Member

you probably need to add some timing to your rpm timing maps from 1k-2.3k in the light throttle positions. Most of the early base maps for the T-max don't have enough timing and the timing runs downhill the wrong way in the light tps settings, so that makes them prone to coughing and popping.
    here's a video that might give you a better idea of what I'm referring too:
    YouTube - Tuning T-max: 1. Zippers Thundermax timing adjustments to limit popping and coughing at lower RPM's

hope this helps,
    czar
  6. cardboard

So how the heck is this unit doing after the riding you've done.

Did you ever call Thundermax and talk with Pete and tell him what was happening to yer bike.

you should of ridden it enough for it to tune itself more........
  7. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

The bike is running real good and I've had no problems. I talked to the technicans when I was at Sturgis this year and they made some adjustments. I'm really happy with it and glad I made the jump.
  8. cardboard

Really glad you got to see the Tech with Thundermax, they are really good.
    Glad to see another Happy Camper.....:D

I had the Thundermax with A/T on my last bike. I couldn't of ask for any better of a tuner.
    And nobody's bike I've put it on has had a problem.
    The Thundermax is so good its really overkill........