1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Time To Tear Down

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 8, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I am not going to throw parts at this just wanting to learn this and do as much as I can on my own. You are right, I do need to put it on the drum, however I fear that that could be the time that it goes into catastrophic failure. Remember, this is my baby! I know Derek will do it, it is me hesitating, not him. Just saying.
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

No need to do a full pull just ride it like you do on the street to duplicate the noise . Dont engouge the e ddy brake .or have him set the brake at 20 % load only .and just ride .not saying he was hesitate to do it but he put ot in the wind and said its fine dont hear shit . No one know the bike like the owner does.if it was ok you would be riding not wrenching.
  3. JohnnyBiker

I will call him tomorrow and see if we can get this done Saturday. He is slowing down now since our riding season in near done. That noise wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. Lol
  4. baggerpaul

Well guess maybe now he will hear it then.hmmm.tell ya what wish I had a bike shop in Minnesota. Cuz I need 10 customers like you that dont care what it cost just fix my shit. If you came to my shop told me you heard a noise and as much of a stickler and anal pain in the ass as you are your bike would have stayed over night till it was handeld .shit it was there for the carb slide ride the bike home and back to work and verify my loyal customers complaint. You drop alot of coin in that shop bro! Maybe im just alittle ocd about shit like that you seen how I work im not happy and wont give up till its running and done correctly.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks BP. That's my point

Now if you just want to tear into it because you need something to do well it can get expensive. Especially if you get in too deep and mess something up

Is the sound really a "ping" like metal rattling or a knocking like detonation

Big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. JohnnyBiker

It started out like pinging, but now more like metal.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a stethoscope
    Get one at harbor freight or autozone
    Listen to various areas
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's what I said. Try to find out exactly where the noise is coming from - with a stethoscope you might be able to hear it even at idle or revved up a bit.
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Unless you only hear it when riding and at certain speeds then the stethoscope is worthless. I've heard many a noise when riding and it bugs the heck out of you and most of the time I find its something loose and either makes a vibrating noise or even a tapping sound. I've felt many times that something in the motor was coming loose, only it was not. So hope you find it and it turns out to be something simple.
  10. baggerpaul

The problem is that its after its fully warm and it had to be just above cruise speed calling for power roll on at above or just below 55. So to duplicate that sweet spot with wind noise is not goona be easy .so on the drum is much easier. Feel for ya bro .I know its your favorite bike and I know you're not happy .shit im even frustrated for ya.
  11. joshbob

Yeah, I feel for ya, too. Hope it turns out to be something you can repair and not too expensive, though you don't seem to be greatly concerned about money.
  12. JohnnyBiker

I do care about how much it costs. That is why I bought my own lift and buy tools needed when something like this comes up. Derek is still a great mechanic, I haven't given him the opportunity lately on a heck of a lot now that I have my own lift. The thing with the tire was a learning experience because it was a tire that he has never used. I over reacted a bit. Now as far as anything else goes, well, we just don't know yet Paul. I basically give Derek the electrical aspects of wrenching as I refuse to do it. So mechanical stuff, I do 99% of it.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Good point here FLHTBIKER, but this is a little more serious than something being loose. Oil light is coming on now. Something isn't right. Just saying.
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Well that's not good. Just went through that and had to replace the flywheel on a 110 motor. It was making a noise that sounded much like what you were describing. Mine started out going from a small noise to very loud very fast. However I didn't loose any oil pressure until after it was repaired, mechanic didn't torque the oil pump properly.
    If your oil light is coming on I would stop riding it until you find out what's going on. I would take it into a reputable repair shop.
  15. JohnnyBiker

I just got off the phone with Derek and we are putting it on the drum do I can replicate the noise. Going to take the bike and trailer to work and go straight from work. Tuesday is the day, and yes, no riding it.
  16. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

If your oil light is coming on you're having a oil pump...pressure/flow problem....Don't know if I'd run it up to temp then to 5500 RPM to find the noise or you might let the smoke out if the pump quits ....
    The noise is probably lack of oil getting to the top end...
    I'd take the rocker covers off and hand roll the engine to make sure you've got oil circulating before I'd run it....
    Get a pressure tester like BP said and see what you have....

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
  17. JohnnyBiker

I will get that today and start investigating but I am going to put it on the drum Tuesday as suggested. I also think that what I am hearing is from the top end.
  18. joshbob

Holy cow . . .
  19. baggerpaul

If the pump was bad it would be making noise all the time and all the lifters would be empty.and the hammers of hell thred would have been started. The way that boy rides that bike he would have let the magic smoke out long ago. Sporty have the best valve train geometry of all the harley motors.they are very tough little motors and seldom have lower end issues
  20. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

What would cause his oil light to start coming on??Low pressure??