1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Todays Ride

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 1, 2006.

1. scooter

scooter New Member

Once again, a beautiful day here in Tarkington, and I am working on the fenceline and gargage. Grrrrr :mad:

Guess it's better to do it while the weather is cooperating instead sweatin' my brains out in the later spring and early summer. THAT gets old.

I am thinking of opening up, if the finances get approved, a store at the 321/105 intersection. It would be bike accessories, some clothing, hot dogs and if I swing it right, beer. COLD beer.

Wonder if that would fly there? To those of you in the area, you know you can't get any sort of chrome or helmets or anything unless you go over to Conroe or down to Baytown, both about 30 minutes out.

Just wondering, if anyone has any feedback, let me know here.

scoot
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Kev, last year we had hardly any rain in January and it was great for riding. This year is just the opposite with torrential rains. You do know that the coast range even around Newport is considered a Rain Forest. I have tried Deer hunting there and the ferns are taller than I am and it is so thick that even the Elk have tunnels they travel trough and these are the big Roosevelt Elk. It does rain a lot in the winter time but that is what makes it so beautiful here in the summer months.
    The last few weeks in Newport have been really warm. When we would be 40-45 degrees the area along the coast and especially in Newport was 65 degrees. They also get a lot of wind and if you like watching the surf and hug waves then that's the place to be. Corvallis also has a really nice Hospital and that is just inland from Newport. Lots of better riding roads to, plus more of them. On the coast you get your choice, do I want to go south or north today. :)

Marc
  3. SK

SK New Member

I hear ya Marc. I looked at Corvalis when I was working for HP, as they have a large shop there. It's only an hour at the most from Newport, but I really desire a place close to the ocean..especially if I can get some sort of view. A friend's mother used to live there and I've visited a lot with him in the past..both when it's been a dry spell and when it's rained everyday. One of my favorite memories is walking on Ono beach (just south of Newport) in the morning with my raingear on and my dog running loose in a light rain..nice. Guess I would have to get used to riding in the rain more, along with rust and mold. Something of a rarity in Las Vegas.
  4. FLHTbiker

Kev, Pats mom lives in Newport and she wants to move there. :confused:
  5. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    New years day traditions

This year I rode as usual on Jan. 1. Back when my granmother was alive she used to say that what you did on New Years day you was gonna do all year. So I always crank up and putt a bit. This year the weather was pretty good for North Carolina, temps wer in the 50's and it was sunny. Took a sprint up Saluda grade, a beautiful winding switchback....then brought the year in with bar b q ribs and beer....it just don't get much better. Ride Free.....
  6. scooter

scooter New Member

Hope you get to spend the rest of the year doin' all of that all over again, bro.

scoot
  7. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

A break in the rain!

Well, it's been raining like maybe i should figure out what a cubit is for almost a week solid. Then today the sun comes out, and it hit 60 degrees. WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!. Got on Camile, my shovel and headed over to a bros in Golden Valley, NC. Nice ride, great day and got to spend some time with a downed bro. He had a bypass a bit ago and is still a bit puny. So we sat around and talked of past rides and some we are gonna make. Hopefully he will be up on that RoadKing for Rolling Thunder. Anyway, it was a good day......Ride Free!
  8. cyclops2

cyclops2 New Member

Bike Store

Scoot What happened to the bike store in Navasota ?
  9. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Yesterdays ride.....

Well I picked up the Dyna yesterday about noon. Weather was sunny and not too cold with chaps, long johns etc....and a brand new ride. Left the dealer and took back roads so i could vary the engine speed better. Running it up and down. Feeling the way the engine torqued, the feel of the bars and how she kicked over in the curves. Riding a new bike is always like the first nights with a new lover...all exploration and excitement. And the Dyna responded well, the 6 speed really is something. Hard to think that we rode 4 speeds for years. The propaganda (oops did I say that, I meant advertising..<S>) about the new helical cut gears may or may not be true but it sure shifts sweet and sure. I know some don't care for the rubber band mounting but I love them. My 86 was the first and that sitting at the light shake is, to me delightful. So I left with 8 miles on her and pulled in last night with 156. It was a GOOD day, ya'all!
    No to some questions since my last new bike was an evo. They are saying 1000 miles til first service...this makes me a bit nervous. Hell I usually had my seconf ol change at 500, dumped the oil and filter at 200 then again at 500 and finally 1000. Is that just old school outmoded thinking or should I get out the filter wrench and drain pan. Also they were saying that the engine had regular oil the primary partial synthetic and the tranny synthetic. A) Why? and B) can you just go 100% synthetic? I have used all synthetic on my other bikes for years.
    Well today i have to go get tags and pay the taxes....I will ride that way I can laugh as wella s cry today. *Big Grin*
    Ride Free
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'm sure you've forgotten more about Harleys than I know. I remember when I got the bagger and the first service was 1600 kilometers...[metric thing up this way] I just bought a filter, 4 litres of oil and when I got to 600 kilometers I dropped the oil and changed the filter. I didn't change the primary or tranny fluid...clean oil is cheap insurance. I think the basis for extending the first service was the filtering for the motor oil was supposed to be better. Now Harley has a primary/transmission fluid that is supposed to double the change out intervals. This stuff is going to replace Syn 3 in the primary and tranny.. By the sounds of things it is also going to replace the old primary fluid and the tranny fluid as well...The fluids in your bike are likely Harley 360 mineral, the old tried and true Primary fluid and the old tranny fluid. I ran Syn 3 in my bike for a while..still use it in the crankcase but went back to the old fluids for the other two holes..I'll likely try the new synthetic fluids for the primary and tranny for the next change out...I think synthetic is the way to go. How does the new bike handle?..have fun on it.
  11. scooter

scooter New Member

Welll,

They sold the property I was lookin' at...guess I waited too long. Gotta get a little quicker on the draw..or rather, the keyboard in this case, and finish up my business proposals for a grant. Duty is keeping me busier than I can stand right now, so it's a little slow going for everything else.

BTW, if you are in Waco proper, I may be up that way around the 18th with some bros, plannin on makin' a scenic route in that area.

scoot
  12. AZ05FXST

AZ05FXST New Member

New Ride

GreyBear, Congrats on the new ride. Tags and Taxes only hurt for a little while,:( hopefully the pain will be gone by the time your done riding today.:)

RIDE ON!
  13. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

New ride

Well the Dyna now has a bt over 300 miles on her. We ordered a seat from CD the other day so that will be nice when it gets here. I really wish that all seats on new bikes were extras. That way if ya wanted to cut corners you could opt for the cheap, break down foam, ass killer and deal with it. Or move up to something better. Of course I have NEVER bought a new bike that had a decent seat. I understand BMW has a quality seat from the factory but never owned one so don't know for sure. I removed the one from the Dyna (All pound and a half of it, lol) on the off chance one of my other bikes seat would fit. I have a mustang touring saddle on the superglide for when the old lady comes along and a corbin gunfighter for bar hopping. Of course they wouldt fit but...gotta try. Changed the oil 'cos I am just not happy with that 1000 mile first oil change, New motors shed metal as things wear in. Metal goes in oil. Metal in oil BAD. Can't see risking a 13K ride over a few dollars in oil and filter. She handles like a dream the reason I so love the superglide...they are like a sporty on steroids.
    Ride free
  14. scooter

scooter New Member

Are they really? I really love my XL1200, but it ain't alot of fun for the ol lady after the first 100 or so miles, and I'm still ready to keep on runnin'.

Superglides like havin' two on board? Don't know too much about 'em to be honest...

scoot
  15. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Superglides

Well the best thing to do is hit one of the shows and ried one either that or rent one. (Another pet peeve of mine. Having to pay to test ride something) The dynas have the same motor as the touring bikes do...and this year they have the new 6 speed tranny. You can bag em and add a windshield etc if ya choose. but the main difference to me is the feel of the bike. It's nimble like a sporty. The seating positon is feet under you instead of forward like the soft tails. They are lighter than a dresser and while a lot of people can take a dresser throught the S's real well they always feel a bit sluggish to me. A dyna on the other hand loves them curves......In the end it all depends on your tastes. I grew up on Nortons and Triumpths and BSA's then had an old K model sporty. And When you got a full dress bike the first thing you did was strip it down. When the first Suoerglides came out it was like Heaven had heard a prayer...if I sound like i am a bit predjudiced in the Dynas favor...I am . I have had 5 superglides and loved em all. But like I said different strokes.....
  16. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

2 on board

Forgot to answer the 2 up question. I have been through several female riders over the years and they all did fine. From short bar hops to Sturgis and Gulfport. As far as room goes they are fine just be sure you buy a good seat, cause like I said elsewhere stock seats are good for one thing....making you painfully aware of how thin your wallet is after buying anything from the Harley dealer. They are for the most part junk. I have had great experiences with Mustang seats, although there are other good ones out there. In fact the new Dyba has a mustang ordered from CD now (Great price on it too)
  17. scooter

scooter New Member

Thanks alot for the input Greybear, I appreciate it.

Jury is still out, and my heart is telling me I belong on a RoadKing for the long hauls for sure....but ****, I LOVE hittin' the straightaways and bankin' the curves on the Sporty at times. Mostly I just ride and let the road and bike talk to me.

I reckon I have about 2/3 of my mileage solo, and the ol lady gets credit for the rest. So far she's been around longer than this bike! I just wish she was a little taller, she has problems flat footin' the bike as it is, and droppin' it 3 inches really wouldn't help things. (I say this 'cause if I can get HER on her OWN ride...then I get to go shoppin', yanno?:D )

again, thanks.
  18. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Flat footing.....

Ah, well let's see here. That sporty would make her a bitching trike. No balance problems, no weight issues......plus the trunks space is great for both peoples gear. Plus mine loves the fact she can SHOP and have a place to store her goodies. Just a devious thought..........

Ride Free
  19. FLHTbiker

My wife scared the h&%l out of me when she thought she wanted to ride. When she went over the bars we had a long talk. She had expressed an interest in a Trike so I made a deal with her. I was riding a 2000 Red & Black Valk. Interstate then (nice bike w/tons of stock power). I would give her my Valk and we would Trike it for her. Bought a California Sidecar Trike kit and that winter I converted my Valk into a Trike for her. She took to that Trike like a fish in water. She's no longer interested in being a passenger. When we haul the bike in our enclosed trailer when taking the pickup and camper she says I'll ride mine and you pull yours, that really sucks, I want to ride (trailer only holds one bike). :( So now we trade off when we take the camper. The good thing about triking the Valk, I got to buy a new Harley. :D Bought a new 05 Heritage Softail Springer. I love this bike and its looks. Still ride the Ultra and Bob I have Satellite Radio on it now. Bought a XM Roady, love it.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Scooter, how tall is your gal? Some of the sportys are a bit tall. What I've seen a lot of is ladies getting a deluxe and really liking it...I remember a couple of Sturgis's ago I was at the Harley demos and a petite lady was test riding Harleys..I recimmended the 1200 C sportster..nice and light and easy to ride....she wasn't big on it but that low seat height of the Deluxe really wowed her..
    Marc, that satellite radio is great hey?
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2006