1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tomorrow might be the day

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by dinosdeuce, Oct 6, 2005.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Dino, good choice that color really looks good in no matter what light your in. :)

The HD shop up here has been pulling off the stock Cat mufflers and replacing them with Rinehart true duals and they say that it does not matter about changing the cat. Now, I hear that the pipe manufactures are coming up with an adaper for the 02 sensor. CD, help me out here as I think the 02 sensor needs to be in for the EFI. Guys up here have been having real trouble with the Rinehart welds breaking.
  2. Goose

Goose New Member

O2 sensor on a motorcycle????????? Most bikes use an "open loop" EFI system, which means they use a "map" for their injection. Bikes calculate injection based on this map, no O2 sensor involved. Cars have the O2 sensor and don't have a "map", but rather work off the O2 sensor to determine proper injection.

I've never heard of a bike with a closed loop system. But, then, I don't know a lot about EFI. This is just how I understand it. I've never worked on an EFI bike that had an O2 sensor.
  3. CD

CD Guest

Goose, all Dyna EFI's are closed loop now and most exhaust manufacturers are installing bungs including the true duals.
    The Honda VTX1800 has always been closed loop from what I remember.

Given a choice between an open loop mapped EFI and a true closed loop with a good sensor i.e. 5 wire type I would take the closed loop every time.

Technology wise the open loop we are now using is about like a mid 80's throttle body system. Be nice to at least get into the mid 90's ;)
  4. Goose

Goose New Member

Interesting. Wonder when the sport bike stuff will go closed loop? Maybe there might be a bit of an advantage to the open loop where big mods are concerned, using the PC to map it? Just wondering.

The superbike teams can afford whatever they wanna run, though, I reckon. Heck, they just started running EFI less than a decade ago. EFI on sport bikes is about a decade old. Most had carbs in the 90s. Now, even econo bikes like the SV650 have EFI, the SV starting in '03. All the sport bike stuff is open loop, though, to my knowledge. I need to pay attention to this. Might be going close loop on some of the newer bikes. A bunch of the Yamahas are new design this year. The FZ1 has been revamped quite a bit. The new thing is the underbelly exhaust can, sorta like Buell has. It could contain an O2 sensor in one of those cans and not mess up styling cause you'd never see it. Hmmmmm.