1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Took a little ride

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by FLHTbiker, Jul 7, 2014.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

NFatboy I'm now sitting in the McyD playground room with the wife and kids. There is screaming kids everywhere in here. I'm going crazy gotta get outta here. :banghead :banghead :mad: :mad: :confused::confused:
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Man Marc, if I hit Powerball I'd fly you and Maddog with your bikes outta there and meet ya with mine and a Charlie and his bike in S Dakota. Then we' ll ride and ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  3. FLHTbiker

Maddog and I rode around South Dakota last summer
  4. FLHTbiker

Don't know if any of you noticed my post #19 where I stated my bike was down again. Well it's been in the shop again for 2 1/2 days. No or very low oil pressure. I was out on that ride up the Columbia Gorge with Maddog when I noticed my low oil light was on. We turned around very quickly and made it back to a Napa auto parts store. Pulled the dip stick and was hard to see but appears it was only a half a quart low. The oil did have a bit of a gas small to it. We determined it was half a quart low which could be from maybe he (mechanic) didn't put enough in or some other factors. Bought a quart of diesel oil and Maddog added a bit to it. Started it up and at idle no oil pressure and light on. Get it above 1500 RPM and the light would go out. So knew I had some but how much I didn't know. Like Maddog said there was no lifter noise but headed for the dealer.
    Next day they put a oil pressure gauge on it and same thing low pressure with just a bit of pressure showing. Today they pulled the cam chest out and oil pump was found to be a bit loose. So oil was flowing past around it. Mechanic told them he torqued it down to the low side of normal not wanting to strip any threads. So they are going to torque it down more plus add a little loctite to it.
    Mike the service manager who is pretty sharp feels that should take care of the problem.
    There is a different mechanic working on it now, one that I have more confidence in than the first one. Hopefully get it back tomorrow and it's running OK.
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Wow! How does a guy get back that warm and cozy feeling in his bike after all the crap you've been through with it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  6. FLHTbiker

Its real difficult right now. I don't think I can feel I can trust it on a long ride right now.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Maybe that gold wing is calling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. FLHTbiker

Got it back today I'm going to have to do some riding on it and see how it does. They did put a heavier duty spring in and my oil pressure runs above half now.

A Goldwing, well been there done that years ago so don't think so.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds to me like your issue is incompetence in the back room at the dealer
  10. FLHTbiker

With that one mechanic for sure. There are other mechanics there that are very good, this was my first time with this guy and my last.
  11. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

"Torqued it down on the low side of the spec"? If it was spec, how could it be low? I know there is a very small range for torque specs sometimes, but this sounds more like didn't torque at all and one end was overtight, one end was loose. Hopefully no long term damage occured. Might need to travel with that Brit bike soon. EEEEEW!
  12. FLHTbiker

Bunch of us took off and I rode it about 70 miles this morning but got into a Thunder Storm and headed back home, to much lightening and rain, rain don't bother me but those jagged yellow bolts coming down to the ground does. Everything was running good with no problems.
  13. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got it fixed. I had a lot of issues with my old oil pump. It was "used" and it leaked. And it is easy to strip the threads in the block - I stripped one of mine at 50 inch lbs. and ended up having to helicoil the hole. I remember it being a difficult and tedious process because I did it with the engine in the frame. I had to remove the tranny! But for me, that was easier than taking the motor out.
    The torque range on the oil pump bolts is 45 to 50 inch lbs., so there is a minimum/maximum range, but I stripped one of the holes anyway. I am sure it had been over-torqued previously by some heavy handed "mechanic". After I did all that, the damn thing still leaked. Discovered that the pump body was warped and had to end up buying a new pump. That solved the leaking problem and things have been fine ever since. But what a pain in the keester.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014