1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Took On An Engine Build

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 10, 2017.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was able to secure a job to build an engine. This one is pretty straight forward, nothing too crazy but it is experience. The bike is a 1998 Wide Glide. The bike only has 32k on the clock but the owner wants to perk it up a bit. This isn't going to be too crazy of a build. do some head work, an EV 27 cam, some new slip on mufflers as the ones that he has on now are gutted and junk, new S&S oil pump, adjustable pushrods, lifters and new slugs. Going to be a fun little project.
    Red Rider likes this.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Cool! Right time of year for it, too.

Are you gonna mill the heads any, and if so, are you doing it in-house or sending to one of your wrench-master buds?

I, for one, would like you to post as much as you can on this job as it progresses. Good luck!
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Yes the heads will get a little bit of work and no I won't be able to do them as I don't have the expertise to do what needs to be done, so yes the heads will be sent out. I don't use Tapatalk anymore so posting pictures will be more of a chore than normal but I will see what I can do for you.;)
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

sounds like fun, do you have a good heeter in yer shop?
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Yes. I have a petty good set up now. I have heat, a tool chest full of tools, a nice lift and a fridge full of beer for when the work is done for the day.:cool:
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Sounds like you got everything you need, congrats on getting the job!
  7. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Good luck. When you say headwork what ya gonna do?
  8. JohnnyBiker

I have a tight budget to work with and since I am using the EV 27 cam which isn't a huge cam, we are going to lop .030" from the deck, a complete new valve job while installing a 1.90" intake valve along with new springs and port the intake side. Not a heck of a lot really.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Well, I have finished the engine build (or top end build rather) for my friend. It wasn't a hard job but life kicked me in the ass pretty hard and I struggled to keep my head straight. I was able to finish the job and all is good. Sorry gentleman, I didn't take any pictures.

This project started off in a real interesting fashion and is one that I have never had. It started off by me choosing a head porter out of Ohio. I chose this guy because I was looking at him to possibly start a vendor contract with so this was a trial run. His price was reasonable and I felt comfortable. So after we agreed on price and stuff like that, I sent the heads to him, a week later I called and asked how the progress was going, he replies, "I haven't received them." You can imagine my panic. Hot Rider and I began investigating and we determined that the heads were received and signed for at the correct address. Guess what I was thinking at this point?!! To make along story short, the issue was resolved and we moved forward. The porter did his job and was very prompt although I was not overly impressed with the end product. Not because they wouldn't work, but I am used to more pristine work.

Of course I have the cylinders off at this point and I was not impressed with what I found. Of course the base gaskets were junk but more importantly, the rear cylinder was scored pretty badly and even rainbowed. It got hot!!! I was also not impressed with how dirty the owner of the bike allowed his air cleaner to get. IT WAS HORRIBLE!! I mentioned that to him immediately.

Everything else was pretty straight forward, not many issues other than personal life stuff going on that made it hard for me to concentrate. Other than heads and boring of the cylinders, all other work was done by me including gapping the rings. Once I was able to concentrate again, the engine went back together and fired up on first try. There were a couple of things that had to get worked out but overall that took no time at all.
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Does put a smile on your face when you hit the button and SHAZAMM it sounds good.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Yes it does. There were some things that I was pretty disappointed in this bike over. The main thing was really how poor care the owner actually kept his bike in. If I didn't hound him to fix this he would have kept going like that. :banghead
  12. JohnnyBiker

Well I should say that I thought I had a pretty good set up. Not long after I posted this my heater in my garage went out and prolong the progress a bit until I got a new one installed. This time I put in an overhead Natural Gas 60,000 BTU Heater! That thing is NICE!
  13. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

There goes the profit on that job. lol
  14. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

weres the love homie im off the forum and i dont get any love
  15. JohnnyBiker

You are a little hairy for my liking!!!:(:eek: