1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Total It Or Fix It?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HellBoy, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Probably just as well it's written off then if they keep finding stuff wrong with it...better them now than you later. There are some smokin' deals on bikes out there..at least in the USA t....hings not quite so good here. See if you can get your parts off of it..good luck and heal well.
  2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Sorry to hear that, but if you can be patient, you should be able to get that back in the settlement/lawsuit. If you can't swap the parts out like Cowboy said, be sure to take a lot of pictures and organize all your receipts.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

sucks, but you
    can get a new one in a while..
  4. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Couldn't get the parts, they moved too quickly, kind of on purpose I think. They have the bike, and I don't even have the final settlement numbers yet! I've contacted my insurance company and they haven't returned my email or phone call. I'll give it one day and then get pushy if I don't hear from them.
    It was a sad day for me when I went through all sorts of receipts and items related to my bike and shredded some, stored others, put some things aside for selling on Craigslist or ebay.
    I will ride again, but not for a while, I'm still not sure how extensive my injuries are.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Take all those recites and add em up along with the cost of the bike. Yea it will scare you but when you have to fight for your rights you'll have facts and figures to back you up.
  6. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks FLHT, I tallied everything and HD has records and I have photos to back up what I'm claiming. Only after I see their breakdown will I know if I've gotten a fair shake or not. Hopefully by tomorrow...
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hellboy, i sent a pm............did ya get it??
  8. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks Chuck, most appreciated. It will be quite some time before I ride again and I'm not sure which type of ride I'll be looking for then.

The total from my insurance company is $12,273 after a $500 deductible. Now I have to get in touch with Harley Davidson and arrange for them to guarantee the title to the insurance company.I wish I owned it outright and was done with it all instead of having to go through more red tape until I get paid. The annoying thing about the settlement offer is the evaluation of the add on parts. They valued everything at the lowest price you could get if taken off and sold used, not what it would take to actually buy them and then get them put on the new vehicle. My pipes cost $650 and then more to have them installed and they're paying out $245. I guess I needed a different kind of policy to be covered that way. I'l do that next time I ride.
  9. FLHTbiker

Two things, if the cab driver was at fault why are you paying a 500 deductible.
    Second thing, they are throwing you a bone and you don't have to accept it. That's where holding your ground comes into play. They know if you accept it then they have bought you off.
  10. hotroadking

I agree with FLHT don't sign anything to sellte.

Tell them appreciate the offer you're handing it over to
    your attorney to review...

Get an attorney and hand it over to him,
    your insurance shouldn't be paying ANYTHING
    unless the at fault driver is found to be
    not at fault....

They are simply going to go after the cab
    company for the money, get whole,
    you loose a bike, they get paid, it's the
    same money.

You have a lot of rights as a rider,
    you are entitled to alot more compensation
    especially with medical injury,
    don't let any thoughts of not liking
    to sue or be a part of a suit
    sway you.

Get what you are do, no way
    you end up taking this in the shorts.

Comeon man you're a new yawker
    tell'em to go eff themselves LOL
  11. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I am already in the process of suing for damages, personal and financial. The insurance side is only for replacing the bike. My insurance company can sue the cab co. for their costs if they want, and I will be glad to be their witness. If I simply sued the cab company for the cost of the bike replacement as well as damages, it might be years until I see any compensation.
  12. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Don't let them of easy. Man spends hard earned money building a dream and no insurance company should have the right to take it away from him.
    The bight side if there is one is the chance to take the time to write some more songs while yer off yer feet. I really enjoyed the ones you had posted.
    Good luck and get back on yer feet soon.:)
  13. hotroadking

Well in that case you can recover enough to
    get a new bike

There are a couple of ways to go,

Ask the insurer how much for the bike after it's totaled,
    net the difference, then fix only what you want, say the pipes are scratched, get a set off the net used or have them jet hot coated black for less than new pipes

lots of ways to skin it,

Be sure they don't legally total it if you do that, because you'll have a salvage title...
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

hellboy do as FLHT & HRK have said , get some grease for the squeaky wheel (you) like said above there trying to low ball you , there was nothing wrong with say the pipes till the cabbie messed up & made you crash , you can bet the big apple your insurence Co will charge the cab co Insyr co full price or a lot closer the there offering you & like HRK said don't sign any release till your happy , & don't even think about a release on your med till you & your doc's are happy
  15. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks everyone, the advice here is excellent and i'll make sure the settlement is reasonable. I think it will be the lawsuit that gets justice done. It will repay the deductible and I will see to it that there's enough money to start fresh. I can't say the insurance company's offer is unreasonable, $12,750 isn't way off, just low for actually getting a new bike with all the trimmings. I can probably find a bike with similar upgrades for 13-14K if I want, but I'll have to give it a rest for a while anyway and will pay off the 5k I still owe HD first.
  16. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

You can (usually) get a policy which covers the replacement cost of parts & even the whole bike. But such a policy is typically so much more expensive that it could be very hard to justify.
  17. cowboy

hellboy if you pay the loan off earley that's show your leander your in good standing & it only get's better from there , it does not matter if it was caused by the wreck or not , Once you heal up (or before) look on craglistlist there a lot of choises there as a lot of people are selling now just to get out from under there dept & A bike will be the first go (it's consider a toy to a lot of these people ) , so while your healing up you can work on your music & read C list , , I read C list from all over the country , you might find one & make a road trip as a back to riding party :cool:
  18. FLHTbiker

Just be real careful with craigslist there are a lot of scary people who advertise on there. Just don't give any money until you see the item up close and personal.
  19. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I do feel that a little more attention to my music work is overdue, but riding is in my blood now, so it's just a matter of when and how much!
  20. cowboy

See there hellboy you have a title for a new song , I have them Harley Davidson Blues it's in my mind & in my sole :D