1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Trailer hitch install

Discussion in 'Projects' started by FLHTbiker, Apr 29, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Still had my hitch off my 09 laying around and sense it started dumping on my ride today I decided to install the hitch.

Start out by opening a beer, clean the dirt off the hitch plates and brackets. Remove saddle bags. Clean around the area.
    Now pull the two bolts off each side. Had to find a spacer for the outer stud to fill the gap on both sides on the side plate to bracket on the bike. Now find longer bolts, throw those Torx heads in the trash (don't like em) got 4 allen socket bolts about 1/4 inch longer. Put blue loctite on all threads.
    OK, time to open another beer.:)
    Don't tighten up the side plates yet.
    Install the base plate finger tighten the nuts.
    Install the support brackets, but don't tighten yet.
    OK, Time to drink another beer:)
    Tighten the nuts on the bottom of the base plate and two side brackets.
    Made sure everything was lined up.
    tighten the upper two bolts on the side brackets...Done

The upper side plates has a blank upper hole for the Ultra but is used if you have a street Glide.

Now get out the spray cleaner and time for another beer. Best way to clean a bike is a good cleaner/polish and a good beer. Alaska Amber Ale

Clean the bike up, re-aligned the mufflers, dealer put em on after doing some work the last time...Didn't line em up right, tips tilted different directions.
    Install the saddle bags..step bag with beer and smile.

Oh yea would have been done in about a halk hour but JB called and had to talk for awhile, its OK, good to talk to him again. :)

Attached Files:

2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Alaskan Amber...mmmmmmmm
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nice job and pics!!!!!!! never heard of alaskan amber......how is it?????
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Got a whole fridge in the shop full of it. Ride up and have a few:)

As Sleepy put it, mmmmmmmmmm and dang good:D
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

think i am gonna have to find some.........