1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

transmission problems

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by snydley, Jul 21, 2018.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

if you can't find a local dealer call Phil at 785 243 9991 he'll ship you a qt
  2. snydley

snydley Active Member

Thanks, I'll do that. Gotta change the throw-out bearing first, probably next week
    Snyde
  3. snydley

snydley Active Member

Sorry I didn't finish this. I found that changing my stretched out Primary chain, and front sprocket "did the job". I no longer have trouble getting it into neutral and the tranny and clutches seem great!
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That’s good to hear
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Geez, I'm glad I didn't hold my breathe! LOL
  6. snydley

snydley Active Member

Yeah, sorry about that. I know it's important to finish the thread, once you fix your problem. I guess I got so busy with life I forgot to finish up. I just happened to catch this when I was "checking in" and reading the latest posts.
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. WVBiker

WVBiker New Member

Forgive the intrusion, but it almost sounds like the shifter pawl could use a little adjustment. Can be done without taking anything apart, equal distance both ways by measuring the shift lever. Here is an explanation.
  8. snydley

snydley Active Member

You're not intruding, no problem! Thanks for writing. It does sound like this might be the problem. The clutch is better, but it's almost impossible to get into neutral, when the bike is warm and I've been riding it. The clutches don't drag in the leasrt bit, that's why I've thought it is something with the tranny. A couple of things: When the bike is first started, when driving it, it is almost impossible to get it in 2nd gear. This happens when it's COLD, first ride of the day. Once I go through the gears and the bike is warm it doesn't do that anymore. The second thing is Neutral. It's almost impossible to get in neutral, from any gear, once it's warm and the clutch is pulled in. Here's the thing, with the clutch pulled in there is absolutely NO creeping forward of the bike at all. I've actually done this in my driveway, which slants away from my garage. I pull the clutch in, and when I take my feet off the ground the bike starts rolling backwards. I figure if the clutches were dragging it would keep the bike stationary, or try to drag it forward, which it doesn't do. That's why I don't believe it's the clutches. I installed new friction pads 2 seasons ago, and it didn't make a bit of a difference.
    I'm assuming the adjustment is somewhat the same on a '98 Softail Custom as it is on the Baker tranny? If it's not the same, at least it's the same as far as the shifter pawl goes, I just might be dealing with different parts and locations? I ask because I've never done this before. It doesn't look all that difficult though.
    Thanks for your help,
    Snyde