1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Triumph Project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by FLHTbiker, Apr 16, 2015.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Harleys are easy to work on compared to the British bike the Triumph Trophy. I have to replace the chain and what's called the rub strip. Chain was a bit of a bear to access but nothing compared to the rubber strip the chain rides on. There are two screws that hold this rub strip in place and I have to remove the whole swing arm to get to it. Had they placed the side screw just 1/2 inch further out I wouldn't have to pull the swing arm.
    So pulled the entire back half of the bike off. The grease build up around the front sprocket and the chain was caked in with big globs of grease and dirt mixture it was just amazing. Triumph recommends pulling both the front. Sprocket and rear sprocket when replacing the chain so they wear together.
    While its apart I'm also going to grease the bearings in the swing arm. Clean up all the excess grease and hopefully get it back together right. Did I say this is my first time tearing into a Triumph Trophy. Oh well, tore many other bikes apart, built two trikes and all kinds of other work on bikes over the years.

This is a fun bike to ride and although it's a older bike it does ride pretty darn well. Not a Harley but something different to burn up the roads on.

Here are a few pics.

The first is that rubber rub strip the chain rides on.
    image.jpg

The second is the swing arm just before I fully removed it, notice the area on the left side where the chain started to rub on it
    image.jpg

Notice some of the grease and dirt build up, I've already pulled a lot out by this time.

image.jpg

Front Sproket area that I will replace the Sproket.

image.jpg

Next pic is the air box. I had to pull the 4 carb bank out just to get to the air filter. One of Triumphs better ideas.
    image.jpg

Swing arm laying loose, now to clean it up. The swing arm is all aluminum but think I'll do some repainting on it.

image.jpg

I have it sitting on the center stand on my lift and have a over head electrics hoist (Harbor Freight) attached to part of the upper frame. Had to use it to lift up the bike to get the center stand down while on the lift. Quit a project and should never have to do it again. Soon as the parts come in should have it back on t he road in no time.
    What it looked like before I started and probably won't change much on the outside, just the inside area will change.

image.jpg
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Good ol Brit ingenuity! Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Looks like a fun project. How many miles on it now?
  4. FLHTbiker

Bike has 40,000 on it. It isent really a fun project but rather a necessary project to protect the swing arm frame from getting eaten up.

Like Fatboy said good ol Brit ingenuity and I say what were they thinking. :banghead:
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

well at least ya gotta project...

Lot of degreaser a wire brush and some touch up paint...
  6. FLHTbiker

Yep got em all
  7. Fatboy128

Don't fergit the tea and crumpets while your working on it!

8. FLHTbiker

Finished cleaning all the grease and dirt off today, man that stuff was packed in there. Painted the swing arm, looks much better now.

Then I went into the house and had a cup of tea, but didn't have any crumpets so had a cookie instead Fatboy. :)

Tonight I'm headed for the Tavern for our weakly get together with a couple friends. No Brit beer but it's Happy Hour and Coors Lite. ;)
  9. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

A lot of wear and tear for only 40,000 miles. Bike looks great, though.
  10. FLHTbiker

A lot of wear on the rub strip for the chain because others didn't have the chain adjusted properly. To bad to cause it sure made a lot of work for me. Now that the carbs are finished and balanced (runs very well now) and when I put the chain back on properly this should be a pretty good running hike.
    The grease and dirt build up was from excessive oiling the chain.
  11. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

It's not just the brits idea on having to pull the carbs to get the air box off .I have a cbr 1000f. That I had to pull the dam carb set off to get the air box out .and the dam 95 model the vacuum ports to sync the cabs are on the bottom ports off the head on the runner for the intake valves .what a pain in the arse! .a 30 min carb balance took 2 hours .glad I won't have to do that job for another 15.000 miles never mind about the valve adjustment that's another story.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  12. Fatboy128

Wah, wah, wah, buy yer foreign bikes! Ha!

13. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Not crying just saying it's a pain in the ass. I do remember someone that had a Japanese bike for many years .smart ass gumba.lmfao
  14. FLHTbiker

Well Harley has their own issues to. I know a few here have had to deal with them.
  15. Fatboy128

Ummmm, ok man I take it back. But the older Japanese bikes were easier to work on.

16. FLHTbiker

Bikes all finished now new chain, and both sprockets are now replaced. Chain adjusted properly. Had to pull the right side plastic off to replace a bad turn signal. Took it out for a ride and she runs really good.
    Going to take it in and have a new rear tire put on it as thinking of riding it on the Oregon 500 the following weekend. All cleaned up and ready to roll.

image.jpg
  17. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Looks nice...
  18. Fatboy128

Time for more tea and crumpets! Or at least some delicious Trifle desert !

19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey FLHT, when you ride it do you hold your pinky out in the proper british position lol
  20. FLHTbiker

Nope but time for Fresh Strawberry Shortcake. :)