1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tuning

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jeff88, Sep 1, 2009.

1. jeff88

jeff88 New Member

it takes problably 10 min on a regular 70 degree day.i would expect to be able to take off the choke within a min or so but it will just stall.if i ride the bike for a little while and shut it off for about 15min or so i cant start it without at least a little bit of choke.i think im just gonna replace all the intake gaskets.even though i cant find a leak that has to be what it is or do you think my a/f screw is out too far?the kit says to start at 1 3/4 turns out but the sweet spot is around 2/18 - 2 1/4. i get pretty good response its mainly the idle and starting issue.
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

You could replace all the gaskets and seals, First get some carb cleaner and check one more time for air leaks, carb cleaner is more volatile than WD or brake cleaner.
    Then completely rebuild the carb one more time checking for damaged parts or gaskets. Set the idle screw at two turns. I mean take it all apart and clean everything. If you don’t have a service manual get one, I have a couple of older ones that show all the parts to the CV and how they work, I don’t think the new one show as much. I have had 5 Fatboys of different years and I always get the SM for whatever year I have at the time. If you need pictures PM me and I’ll copy and send to you.
    These carbs usually don’t give that much trouble. If need be look on Ebay and buy another carb that is stock and install it. You should be able to get one for $50.00 to $100.00 may be less.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a warm up time on a carbed bike is about 10 miles of ridding at about 60 or under 2500 rpm.....
  4. jeff88

jeff88 New Member

ok replaced all the gaskets.still the same. the only thing left is the carb.ill see if i can get one to borrow of a friend.thanks for all your guys help!