1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ultima El Bruto Motors

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by paco, Sep 6, 2007.

1. paco

paco New Member

Hello all,

I am interested in the 107" Ultima Motor. I want a little more power for my 90 model electraglide. Anyone have any info good or bad on this or any Ultima motor? Everything I have read has been positive, but I know how advertising works. I know every motor is not going to be perfect and do the numbers that the company advertises. Anyone help me ? Thanks in advance for any input.

paco
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ultima motors are fine, so are Rev Tech and S&S, Jims etc

They have problems just like anyone else, for the most part they are pretty good and make good power.

Keys are to install it correctly, get it properly timed/tuned and take care of it.

Like any performance motor (larger than stock) you have to watch how you dial it in and run it. Heat is a big enemy of any of the stroker motors.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ditto!!!!!!!:)
  4. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

what about rev-tech? i've heard they tend to have more problems than others
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

JMO, but I say buy American as much as you can. I heard that Rev Techs are built on lunch breaks buy the same employee's that make Nike tennis shoes in China. Don't know if it's true, but that's what I heard. Gota be careful of the the paint they use also, could have a high lead content. I believe you get what you pay for. You can buy a Rev Tech 6 speed tranny for about $1100.00, or you can buy a Baker, the king of 6 speeds for about $3000.00. It's a matter of how much maintenance your willing to put up with.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ya killlin me ringo......i dont know if i would ever be hungry enough to eat the paint off my motor!!!!!!!:roflmao:
  7. CD

CD Guest

Huh? Rev-Tech OWNS a state of the art facility in South Korea. I sold a ton of Rev-Tech engines and tranny's and I hammered the hell out of the six speeds more than once. We built 13 Pro-Street FXR's from 93-95 and all used Rev-Tech five speeds and NONE had a problem. I had one left crank bearing failure on a customers bike and they paid to ship the engine to CCI and back. They had a complete new engine with the same VIN number built and shipped to him in less than two weeks. Two years 50k warranty (when I shut down). I had a 113" S&S blow up on the Dyno with zilch hours....Six month warranty from date of shipment to us. WE had to rebuild the engine at our cost 'cause S&S would not stand behind it. :cussing:
    I am soooo....f-ing glad I don't have to sit and listen to this malarky day in and day out. :banghead:

Going fishing in Northern AZ, Idaho and Montana....:rolleyes:
  8. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

That is the first bad thing i have ever heard anywhere about S&S. I have an S&S 96" and it runs strong and I've had zero problems since i bought it in 1999. Look at their track record. I have heard a lot of negative comments about the Rev Tech but maybe they have fixed the issues they had early on. CUstom Chrome (who sells them) is a stand up company. Having said that, why not take your Harley engine and rebuild it. S&S offers the Hot Set Up kits along with Harley Davidson and numerous other aftermarket companies .One advantage of this is you keep your original cases and numbers so everything on the title matches. Al
  9. paco

paco New Member

Hello all,

Never owned a RevTech motor, but have a friend that bought a 100" and 6 speed for project he never started. Offered me this motor, but it has been sitting, still in box, for a couple yrs. and the trans is for a softtail. I would think the warranty would be close to out on the engine. I might be able to change out the gear set though. Anyway, the Ultima has my attention right now. The black and chrome would really look good on my bike and the reported "115 hp_120 torq" from the 107 " would make it hard to keep up with the old man....... I had a 113" S&S a couple years ago, was going to change the motor from that bike to my dresser, but the oil blowby was so bad that I just decided to sell the bike after I called S&S, went to their tech site numerous times, but never resolved the problem.

Thanks............................paco
  10. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Maybe not....but with some of those burnouts you do, ya might just start to melt it off.:roflmao: :roflmao:
  11. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Sorry I got ya all worked up CD. I'm just the kinda of knuclehead that likes to stir things up a little every once in a while. If I new what I was talking about half the time I'd be dangerous. :eek:

I have never heard any bad press about the Rev Techs or the El Bruto's.

Enjoy retirement and fishing. Hope ya catch your limit:D
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I 've know some younger guy's who have had both the rev-tec & the ultima & the S&S they all ride real hard The S&S has bad blow by & S&S say's it normel :wtf: the rev-tec still run's like the day it was bought & the ultima was running like new when it was taken from A hotel parkin lot in AZ while on A rode trip , they left all the other bike's alone all the above bike belonged to my brothers son's
  13. hotroadking

They all three are hot rod motor companies

Everyone of them has issues with a certain amount of motors, heck you build enough of something, one or two are going to be bad.

Lots of folks jump on the buy American and I too would rather do that

Nothing wrong with any of the motors get what you want
  14. CD

CD Guest

Ringo, no offense taken and I was generalizing about the comments. For more than ten years I had to address issues like this virtually every day.

I prefer USA products but.... I went to buy a new fishing rig for one of my Grandsons. Zebco? Shakespear? Mitchell? all made in China-ville. Denon DVD players, receivers, Toshiba TV's? Many of our "American" vehicles, etc, etc ad naseum.

Hell, HD no longer brags on it's percentage of made in USA parts. Why? look at the electronics, suspension, wheels, brakes....you get the point.

Cyborg Cycles Parts for Harley Davidson Motorcycles Cyborg Cycles Online Catalog shut it's doors after more years than I was open. A very, very true statement is on their website. "Sorry as I am to say it we are faced with a Wal Mart mentality that has invaded our industry just like everything else and made it harder and harder to run this place the way it needs to be."

The retail shop is squeezed on both ends of the shaft. Manufacturers and distributors will always make their cut no matter what and that makes sense. Consumers are price shoppers and want to hold shops hostage to save a buck. The rub is that they wouldn't put up with it if they owned a shop yet are comfortable squeezing the shop owners for every penny they can and justify it by thinking hey. I work hard for my money so it is okay to take the shop owners profits.

Why would anyone want to run a shop? I loved bikes, racing, riding, building etc. I had many thousands of great customers and unfortunately far to many Walmart shoppers. They want great quality and cheap costs. Sorry, that just doesn't work. Go to a Best Buy, Walmart, K-Mart and compare TV's to a retail audio store. Ever read the specs and model numbers? Same box, different model and a whole lot less TV.

Sure, some are the same but....look carefully and you will see it.

Gotta go load up and get the heck out of this heat....the trout are calling me :D
  15. paco

paco New Member

Hello All,

Well I bought the 107" Bruto and in the process of changing the engines out. I pulled the evo out last night and will try to set the 107" tonight. 10/10/07Still got to run new oil lines and waiting on the new single fire, oil cooler and oil filter mount. The old 1990 eglide has a little different setup. Hope to have her back up and running in the next few days, if all goes well. Will let yall know how she runs after the break in.

Thanks for all the info.
    steve
  16. hotroadking

Be extremely cautious with the breakin do it like midwest says, also be sure you setup the timing on the motor per the spec's of midwest.

They have had problems with some pistons to cyl clearance that was made worse by poor installation.

If any doubt get someone to help that knows how to setup the ignition. It should be right out of the box but you need to be sure.
  17. paco

paco New Member

Thanks Hotroadking,

Well, all the paper work says that the timing was set at the factory and not to adjust, but as you said it wouldnt hurt to check it. Was this a recent problem in the last motors ? I have not found the manufacture date on this motor. Anyway, it has always been if there is a fkup, I will be the one on the recieving end.

Thanks for the info.

Let me add this:

This is a complete motor, carb and ignition already installed, however, i will check the timing as you suggest. Where can i find information about motor issues.
    "They have had problems with some pistons to cyl clearance that was made worse by poor installation."

I called myself searching for info on this company but found little.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  18. hotroadking

Right now I"m on the third rebuild of a 2 year old 113, it dropped a valve seat, and upon removal of the heads for inspection a shop noticed heat scores on the pistons and cyl, It was rebuilt and 1000 miles later, same problem, I helped rebuild it again and at 800 miles same problem.:witsend:

Midwest says it's from heat from improper timing of the motor, however the timing was set exactly where they suggested. We believe part of the problem is the Ross pistons which have been reported to expand quicker than the cyl causing contact and scoring. :banghead:

Midwest ponied up a new free set of Mahle pistons and bored the cyl at no charge, I'm having the cyl inspected at a good shop for roundness under tq plates to be sure the cyl are not fubar'd.

Thing is the motor ran for over 16 months no problem then all of a sudden bam, big problems.

We're working it out I attached pictures of the rear piston skirt and cyl at 800 miles. The problem has been, determinine the cause, it's not oil we have oil in the heads, lifters, cam, and bottom of the cases.

I've gotten so many ideas on what to do with timing it's not funny. :gah:
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  19. paco

paco New Member

Hello all,

The motor is in, straight by the book. Have not touched the timing, but looked where it was set. It is firing at the 30 degree mark before tdc. This is the factory setting. Primed the oil pump, put gas in the tank, checked the carb is pumping gas and the plugs are firing. It will not start and now the battery is dead. I must have flooded it.:gah: I will try again tomorrow after work. The battery should be hot by then. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Hotrodroadking, is there a trick to starting these motors ? I know my S&S-113 had to have a special touch or one would foul the plugs.

Anyone ?
  20. hotroadking

Compression
    Spark
    Gas

You need all three to start the motor.

I would get a good charge on the battery, you have compression releases if so use them.

You need to be sure the battery cables are very good and grounded properly, if it's a rubber mount be sure you have a wire going to the frame and the starter for ground.

If you have a stock starter, you might consider bumping it up to a 1.4 starter, it might take more than stock to crank that motor over.

A weak battery and poor connections are a common problem.