1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ultima El Bruto Motors

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by paco, Sep 6, 2007.

1. paco

paco New Member

Thanks Hotroadking,

I have a spike 1.4kw starter, and it is a rubber mounted electraglide, but I do have three ground straps - frame to inner primary - from frame to motor and starter to frame. Hopefully it will start tonight. The bike hasn't been run in a week, I should have had the battery on charge a couple days prior to trying to start.

Thanks again.
  2. paco

paco New Member

Hello all,

I am almost ashame to admit my mistake, but for the good of the novice or otherwise here goes. It has been a year or so since I have had any dealings with a single fire coil. And at my age memory does serve me well. Anyway, I wired the coil where the back plug . The back plug was firing when the front should and the front was fireing when the back was suppose to. :gah: After I swapped the wires to the right terminals the beast roared to life. Needless to say I was a happy camper. I was sure there was something bad wrong. The bike runs strong. I have only rode it a total of 18 mi. One 7.5 mile ride and a ten mile ride to work. Another couple ten milers after work tonight. I have left the lower fairings off so I can get more air to the motor for now.

Anyway, thanks to all who posted for the help.

paco
    1990 ultra
    [​IMG]
  3. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

I'm glad it was an easy fix for you. Don't feel bad, that is a mistake that would be easy for anyone to make. If it would have been me (and i can see myself doing that) I probably would have torn the whole engine down before it finally dawned on me. In fact reading your previous posts, the first thing I was thinking was valve timing. AL
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good deal paco....glad all is better!!! nice looking scoot!
  5. paco

paco New Member

Hello all,

One more question and I will stop. What kind of oil pressure should this motor have. My old 90 gage just goes to 40 psi and it pegs it. After about 7 miles it will drop to about 36-38 lbs psi. I have not found anything in th emanual that gives any pressures.

Thanks again
  6. paco

paco New Member

hotroadking,

How are you coming with the motor ? I did as you suggested and have heat cycled the engine several times. I have around 1500 miles on the engine so far with no issues. Runs good, runs cool, sounds good and runs real fast. When I ride with friends I have to bring up the rear or I am riding alone.....

later............

Attached Files:

7. chucktx

very nice paco....i hope ya got an answer about the oil pressure......and dont stop asking or hangin round.....we like havin ya!!!:)
  8. paco

paco New Member

Thanks Chucktx,

I never found out what the rated oil psi. I put a gauge at the outlet where the pressure switch goes. At idle it is about 30lbs, it pushes 40-45 at 2500-3000 rpm. I took the return line loose, I have good oil return, so I am not worrying about it. My old shovel hardly had oil pressure, my S&S 113 never had a gauge and the 80" ran about 10-12 lbs. My 1999 tw roadglide runs at 30lbs but it is a totally different animal as you know. Anyway, thanks.

Here is my weeniebago attached to a friends bike. I was installing trailer hitch and wireing his bike for trailer. Anyway, I noticed that your trailer at the time of the pictures had white wheels. If you are interested in chrome I got these from Les Schab in Oregon.

Attached Files:

9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

So far the 113 is running pretty good, when we got the parts back from Midwest we ended up re-honing the cyl to put in what Bill calls a plenum finish, reducing the breakin time to about 100 miles.

So far it's been behaving, we've had two rocker arm support bolts back out, so we redid those this week. Figures, it's always something with this bike.

So far it's been running really good.
  10. chucktx

paco, thanks for the heads up on the chrome wheels!!!:)
  11. paco

paco New Member

Hotroadking, chucktx,

How is the rk doing ? Been away for a while. I got a question about torque brace/arm what ever you want to call it. I can't see the use in it, but I have been told by some folks that a hot evo need some support on the right side.I can't see it, but wanted you and chucktx opinion on the subject. I have really hammered this 107 and I don't see any "flexing" and I have pulled a trailer with the old 90 and never had a problem with "flexing" on the right side. Not to say it doesn't happen. anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on the subject ????

later...........
  12. chucktx

i dont remember the correct name for the part, but it is supposed to keep the swing arm from torqueing i believe.....when ya start hitting the twisties and hitting them hot the bike is trying to flex. this prevents it. i dont do hot runs on my electra glide, so i dont worry with it. i am not having problems pulling my trailer 2 up either.

Ultra Ride Stabilizing System

found a link.....it is supposed to help with wobble, as stated. if you think you need it, install it.......i havent felt the need for one.........yet!:)
  13. chucktx

it sounds like you are really liking the engine!!!! anything you would do different??? plusses and miniuses???? guess im askin for details on the new build.....:)
  14. paco

paco New Member

chucktx,

You know, i really like this engine. Don't have that many miles (2100) so no problems. It has not failed to crank, runs good and strong. Have not yet had it dyno tuned. I found that the stock clutch would not hold so i have purchased a rivera pro clutch. The motor feels so strong in 5th gear I decided to go ahead and get a Ultima 6 speed. So. by the end of next week I hope to have all the new stuff installed. I have been waiting to do the clutch until i made up my mind on the trans. But, back to the question, would i do anything different, i think I would have went with the Ultima 120"!! Its a diease I tell you!! :roflmao:
    l

ater..........
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The TQ arm you are referring to is a Carlini Tq arm, check ebay and shop online for deals they do work.

Carlini Design | Products | Torque Arm

For an FL 90 to 98 you need the C-1, it says for Dynas but that works on the FL.

The arm runs under the cam cover behind the exhaust to the trans basically making a connection from the motor to the trans on the left side.

this offsets the primary that connects and stabilized the right side.

Big evos are notorious for cracking primarys when they don't have this tq arm installed.

We have one on the 113 and it's really helped, before that the motor would loosen up primary inner bolts all the time and it would leak.

The TQ arm really helped.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  16. paco

paco New Member

Hotroadking, chucktx,

Thanks for the replies. I am always skeptical when someone comes up with things I am not familiar with. I just don't want folks making money off my stupidity. Thanks for the help and I will be looking around ebay for a torque arm.

later.......

P1010009-1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  17. Fingers

Fingers New Member

A 107 in a dresser ,,sounds like trouble
  18. chucktx

trouble=fun!!!!!!!!!:)
  19. paco

paco New Member

Hello all,

Well, I am back, should have done some more planning before the tear down I guess. Anyway all is well in the end. Been waiting on some bearings from HD. I can't complain, they found me a SE race brace for a h-d (hundred dollars) while I was waiting so I am ready. I trans install was pretty straight foward. Pull the old, replace the bearings, I also replaced the shift arm while in there. Put the new in and go, right ? Not for me. The new trans trap door is twice the thickness of the OEM trap door. With the race brace installed the clutch cover on the end of the trans would go back because the clutch cable hit the race brace. So, I had to fab a 1/4' aluminum spacer to clear the RB. That inturn made the clutch push rod too short, so I had to buy a shovel clutch rod , which is 1/4" longer. Then the clutch adjuster screw was too short, so I had to make one of those out of a longer bolt. (for now) I am looking for a longer adjuster . (any suggestions) Ok, All this is together and fluids added. Started to put the exhaust back, guess what. The front pipe is hitting the race brace, the back is hitting the exhaust bracket. So, I cut the bracket off. Problem solved, except the front pipe is still hitting the race brace. :banghead: Hell with it.... Tried to put the floor board on. Front pipe is hitting the board. Large wrench solved that clearence problem. We ready now !!!

Next day, yesterday, went to shop to see how much primary and trans fluid had leaked onto the floor. all is well one small leak. Lit that 107" up, neutral light worked, shifted into 1st and up the road I went. Trans shifts slick, no noise in any gear. Tried 6th at about 70-75 mph, rpms drop around 400-500 so at 70 i am running about 2800 rpm. 80 - 3000 rpm or so. Rode the back roads and some interstate, the trans worked flawless. Did about 250 miles yesterday with no issues and hope to do a few more miles today. I have a few pictures on photobucket if anyone is interested. I have not figured out how to post muliple pics here.

Oh yeah, I hacve heard about Tru -Track or something like that, so I did a paco's straight track. Its some of the last pics. It ain't pretty but it holds the rear end stable , and i think taht is the purpose of the $400 tru-track.

later.................... It's a diease I tell you !

Remix for paco011 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  20. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Wow, Paco. It seems you have what we call down here in the south, a Tar Baby. Once you touch it, you can't turn it loose. Looks like you have it running right now. Good job.