1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ultima engine re-build

Discussion in 'Projects' started by WVBiker, Aug 18, 2019.

1. WVBiker

WVBiker New Member

My 120 had a lifter bearing freeze up, Bits and pieces of metal all over the insides, ruined the cam, threaded end of the crankshaft in the cam chest is chewed to bits too. Metal in the oil filter. So, where can I find the specs for rebuilding the thing???? Piston ring end clearance, bushing clearance, things like that. 2nd time this engine had lifter failure.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I think I would find a really good engine builder of EVO's and
    let them fix it up with good parts, my friend had a 113 El Bruto
    and it was a nightmare , always breaking parts, bearings, scoring
    piston walls, rings, the heads dropped valve seats like damian lillard
    dropping dimes...

The only reason its been reliable the past several years is he doesn't
    ride it anymore.

I watched it break a pushrod in half, at speed, blow smoke then seal
    itself back up well the rod went back together, no clue how until he turned
    it off, then if fell apart, pushrod tube had a big hole.,

What I"m saying is if you want to keep the ElBruto running find
    someone that can build a solid evo out of it...

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/engines.html
  3. WVBiker

WVBiker New Member

Both times the engine failed it was from lifter failure. Suggested lifter life is 15-20 thousand miles. I can't trash Ultima over a lifter bearing falling apart but I can replace them in time. Running a 127 right now, it will get new lifters this winter. Had a RevTech 100 first generation last over 80,000 miles but I changed lifters at 20 thousand miles. Not much to these huff&puff engines. I just need info on the tolorances allowed for the 120. Revtech engine is the same as the EVO but I think Ultima is a little different in places.
  4. hotroadking

Well you can get parts from Ultima, lifters are a problem in HD's, best to buy SNS lifters, just replaced mine in my 16 RG 110, known failure point on these engines.

My SNS 124 in my heritage ran great, so good it just liked to break transmission parts vs engine issues.

Replace anything you can with SNS parts, darkhorse crank work, lots of good high po stuff out there..
  5. WVBiker

WVBiker New Member

Been thinking Fueling lifters. Never had a problem with Fueling. S&S is good stuff but I have seen them go south too. I think mostly its the way folks treat the engines that gives or takes long life. I been using a RevTech 6 speed overdrive tranney since 2002---this is the 3rd engine about the 4th finial drive belt and 2nd primary chain and compensator. I just know if I crack the throttle on this 127 something in the drive train will snap. Just returned from the dyno tune, no power run needed, different jet and some screwdriver work. Dyno guy said, "Wow, thing wants to eat." 3 grand in overdrive = 80 mph. That's about as fast as I care to go.
  6. hotroadking

Either are good, I've run the SNS in my 124, and two 110's never a blip of trouble
    and the 124 was ridden fairly hard, I mean whats the point of having all that power if you're going to never use it... ;)
  7. WVBiker

WVBiker New Member

I've been known to use it. Just have to remember to ease on the throttle and ease off. Don't want to yank the drive train out.
  8. hotroadking

My heritage couldn't hook the rear tire with aggressive launching
    just spun it in 1 2 and 3 rd at shift. Buddy rode it and at 80 MPH
    he cracked the throttle, said he could'nt figure out why he wasn't
    rocketing away, then noticed he was spinning the rear tire on the interstate at 80... LOL
  9. WVBiker

WVBiker New Member

You must have a Boss Hoss to break the rear loose at 80 mph. Something with a driveshaft at minimum. PFFT!!!!