1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ultima Project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by strickt9Rob, Mar 15, 2008.

1. strickt9Rob

strickt9Rob Active Member

Well I started the project today after reading thru threads from Paco and a lot of PM's From Hotroadking.I got under way today.Just about ready to pull the old motor.I'll take any advise you guy's swapping stage2 80 for 120" ultima.95 Heritage Classic.I'm going to try and post some pic's Thanks to all for your input......strickt9Rob.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  2. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Good Luck With Your Project. Be Prepared For The Unexpected. Like The Saying Go's If It Can Happen It Will. Keep Up With The Pic's , We All Like Watch'n.
  3. strickt9Rob

Yea, I know I've been there before but it's hopefully it won't go to bad.I updated to the Ultima 6 speed last year and when I did,I went thru the pimary also new cog's, chain, pro1 kevlar clutch, hydrolic tensioner. It should be all set.But if Sh#* can happen, it'll happen to me.Just seems that's the way it goes.I still have to pop the tanks off the clutch cable and ten fasteners and help to lift it out and in then the fun begins.........strick9Rob.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

look's like the fun is just begning , I like your paint schame on the bike
  5. strickt9Rob

Thanks thats original factory custom paint they did for the 95 Heritage Classics. It was time for the motor, the old 80" has 75,000mis. on it. All though it still ran good, the base gaskett's wern't even leaking on it. Just didn't want to detinate it. So I'll pack it away and when I find some money I send the bottom out and finish it. Maybe for another project.....strick9Rob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  6. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Nice ride/project. Like was said earlier, keep up the pics we likes to watch too. As for the unexpected, I have found Murphy to be my #1 helper in the garage. Good luck on your project, looks like a worthy one.
  7. strickt9Rob

120" Ultima Project

I pulled the motor this morning.On the new motor I taped off the rocker boxes and nose cone, air cleaner,cleaned the frame and motor mounts real good. Whene my buddy, Paul to show up.I grabed the new motor and he helped me guide it in place. Went in like flint,but really tight fit .It,s amazing how tight the demesional specks are ,how they figure it that close.On the front rocker box, left front corner you have all you can do to slip a piece of paper thru there. Well the first glitch was ,the front motor mount bolts need to be about a 1/4" longer.The Ultima cases at the base mount are a little more beefier then the stock motor.As things go I had evrey other grade 8 bolt but that size.got the motor tourqed down.the nexted glitch top motor mount needed tobe modified.the bracket that holds the VOES switch which also guides the gas line thru no longer exsits it was hitting the nicely polished intake.Next the stator went in, the Ultima has a set screw witch holds the plugin place which I thought was cool instead of that little brace with those stupid tiny screws.The throtle is hooked up along with the filter housing and hard lines with new gaskets,oil pressure gauge.Spent some time taking the black crinkle off the oil filter housing and buffing it with a power ball doinng the same with the inner primary since I went with the natural finish motor.That was about it for today.All inall not to bad yet, but who knows what tomarow brings...........Keep you guy's posted.........later...........strickt9Rob.

Attached Files:

8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

your certianly moving right along!!!! thanks for the update and pics........:)
  9. cowboy

Rob Look's good so far ,& the little bit you had trouble with ain't to bad at all , I guess you know riding season is just around the cornor for you
  10. strickt9Rob

How's evrybody doing? Well the project's moving right along.No big problems. when I decided on the 120",they said you'd only have to move the coil out more or relocate it. I had installed Kuryakyn Vello cover years ago which is a real cool looking closed cover and stands off about an 1 1/2" or more Well I can't use the cover because the single fire coil dosen't fit inside it. I tried hobbin it out,it's just not going to work, The bracket does though.So It's going to have to run without a cover for now. Besides that I just can't believe how the whole project's giong. All I have left to do is the exhaust, fuel line. Might be able to fire it up tomarow or the Friday the latest. I'll keep updated.....Here's some pic's......Later.......Rob.

Attached Files:

11. chucktx

things are going good for ya!!!!! that is great. thanks for the pics and update......
    how is the harbor freight lift working for you??????
  12. strickt9Rob

Yea, things are going good surprisingly,not the way it usually goes for me. I guess everybody's got to catch a break sometime.I like that lift it was good enough for what I do, and the price was right.I've had it over a year and no problems with it. it works on air or you can pump it with your foot.I bought it last year when I put the Ultima 6 speed in.It's a must if you own a bike.Even if you just do sevices and detailing.I think I paid $399. very worth it. Might get to hear that new motor today.I've got some running around to do this morning. when I get back I try to get something done on it. Cool................... chucktx.........Later..................strickt9Rob.
  13. cowboy

Rob it look's like your on top of this , Tank back on & all wont be long & you'll be hearing vroom , pic's look's good
  14. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

YOU WASN'T KIDDING ABOUT THAT TIGHT FIT, IT IS AMAZING HOW THEY GET THE TOLORENCE SO CLOSE, MY LUCK WOULD BE TO GET THE GUY IN TRAINING WHO WOULD HAVE EVERYTHING OFF BY A HAIR:roflmao: LOOKS GOOD!
  15. strickt9Rob

120" Ultima Project

Hey Guy's, objective complete. Finished last night. Old Blue got a new breath of life blew into her. It sounds great, almost scarry running strait 1 3/4 fishtails. WOW! when it fired up I almost S%#@T myself. My girl say's your gonna get ticket's with that,Ahhh! you think, only if I'm allready stopped lol. There was I moment, when I thought something was really wrong. It fire's up and I'm watching the oil pressure is 35+ I reach down to addjust the Idile and there's oil dumping out of the rear cyliner push rod tube exshaust side.So I shut it down and I grab the tube spin and push on it and the keeper and I feel it seat???? this motor was pre run at the factory? It looked like it was pre run when you looked in the exhuast ports??? I fired it up and everything was good. I,m really stoked. I can't wait to ride and feel with that motor does with that matching 6 speed. I finished up so late that I'll get the pic's up tonite hopefully. ..................later..........strickt9Rob.
  16. cowboy

Rob are you sure you did'nt :roflmao: i bet the stright tails are real loud , cogrets on getting it done so fast
  17. chucktx

great job rob!!!!!! always nice to hear a fresh engine crank! i bet the pipes wake a neighbor or two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roflmao:
  18. strickt9Rob

120" Ultima Project

Happy Easter, Well took it for a test ride yesterday. 6, ten mile stop let cool and go,never took it over 3000 rpm but you can tell the thing is a monster compared to what was in there.don't get me wrong the old 80" was a good motor. but it's the difference between nite and day. pulled it back on the lift dumped the oil,the oil had this blue like tint in it ?it must be the lube they use in essembely.Found normal little spec's of metal in the filter when I cut it open. things are good and I keep updated ......later,,,,,,,,,,,,,,strickt9Rob
  19. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

That's a great update, congrats. Hope all continues to go well with it.
  20. chucktx

sound good!!!!!!!!! the bllue tint is probably assembly lube, and you will find a bit in the filter the first time around.....it is when ya find alot the tenth time around, that is time to worry!!!!!!!!!:D
    have fun with it and stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)