1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

using a belt drive with a cush drive

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by bill bassett, Aug 16, 2004.

1. bill bassett

bill bassett New Member

Hey guys, I'm building a 3 cylinder Feuling and decided to use Suzuki Hyabusa
    wheels. I built the rear pully to fit the stock Suzuki cush drive and I'm using
    the 1.125 Gates rear belt. The pulleys align like stock. Under hard acceleration
    in first gear the belt snaps.
    Anybody out there ever try this combo? I really don't think it was torque
    that killed the belt, I'm thinking that a cush drive might come out af alignment
    under acceleration, it wouldn't matter as much with a chain.
    What do you think?
    Thanks,
    Bill
  2. CD

CD Guest

Actually, belt breakage is common on high torque engines. The Feuling W3 produces tons of torque and probably could snap one easily at launch. If it does not break under normal hard acceleration but does consitently while launching off the line I would think a conversion to chain is needed. If it breaks easily no matter what I would replace the rubber blocks with some billet wedges made to match. Cush drives distort to some degree and you might be right... But, I lean more torward the belt being maxed out
  3. bill bassett

bill bassett New Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I too am leaning to the belt being maxed out.
    I've been checking carefully and can't see any missalignment even with
    torque applied.
    I changed to a Panther belt and that one will slip against the transmission
    pulley. I tightened the belt, that helped but it still does it.
    The Gates belt never did that.
    I'm still breaking this engine in so it hasen't seen more than half throttle,
    I guess there are worse problems..I'm going to a chain!
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2004