1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

V and H pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Razor, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Razor

Razor Member

does anyone know what the HS means (Longshots vs. Longshots HS) for Vance and Hines exhausts?
  2. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I *think* that the HS stands for full length Heat Shields. I have the regular longshots, where the muffler slips on to the header,and looks like one pipe, but has a tendency to blue on the rear cylinder pipe where the muffler connects. The later Longshots had a heat shield over the whole pipe, same as the big shots.
    Thats how I remember it anyway.
    Speaking of which, do you guys think adding just a bit more fuel to the rear cylinder would cool it down enough to stop the blueing? and is it possible with a V&H Fuelpak tuner?
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I think that depends on where the bluing is.. If the bluing is coming from right of the head, then no, there is a lot of heat there. If the bluing is in other spots, doesn't that mean that there is a jetting issue?? (At least that is what I have always been told)?
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

from what I remember back in the day before heat shields, all pipes turned blue at the bends and where they connected to the mufflers.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

First be sure that the exhaust system is properly sealed
    you have several joints that offer leak possibilities

Be sure the gaskets in the heads are in good shape
    and sealing well, and that the exhaust is tight to the head.

For the joint where the mufflers meet the headers, remove,
    put copper silicone (any auto store) inside the muffler outlet
    that connects to the header and reinstall, be sure the clamps
    are new and get a good clamp, most reused but they loose force
    over time from expansion, contraction heat, etc.

Finally an improperly tuned bike will discolor pipes quickly...
  6. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Every set of original Long Shots I've ever seen on any bike blued at the muffler joint, mostly on the rear cylinder. It's an injected engine, so jetting isn't an option, and I installed a Fuel Pack tuner. It's a 95 inch with SE heads, so it needed a tuner of some sort bad. Since money is an issue, the used fuel pack was the best I could come up with at the time, and I got the Long Shots cheap too. Runs good, and the pipe is basically a discoloration more than outright blueing. I knew it would happen and it's not a big problem. A little blu job takes it off. Just wondering if it's possible with this limited tuner to address just one cylinder at a time. V&H's help has been limited at best. They seem a bit reluctant to give out much info.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have used vht paint on the inside of pipes with some success.......i take a rag and hold the pipe with it to minimize paint from getting on the outside of the pipe. i hold the pipe pointed down, and spray the crap out of the inside....letting it run and coat the inside really good....if it drips out the end on the ground so much the better.......let it dry then install..........the higher the temp resistance of the paint the better.......color doesnt matter.........
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Chuck how long does the paint last?
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I've used the vht paint in a set of pipes on the Sporty, don't know if color matters, but when I got the tip I was told to use white which I did and was very liberal with it. 15yrs later no blue on them and just one pipe(front) is starting to show a hint of gold coloring about 1 ft long starting at the head...for me, it was pretty successful.
  10. JohnnyBiker

I am assuming that you would want to clean the inside of the pipes before you put that paint in it??? Do you have a link for this paint??
  11. chucktx

it is best done on new pipes.......it lasted quite a few years......best supplier for the paint is an auto parts store.........on used pipes i would push a solvent.....gas.....soaked rag through the pipe a few times to get most, if not all of the junk out of the pipe......
  12. JohnnyBiker

Thanks Chucktx!
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You can get VHT paint at any Advance, Pepboys etc, they even sell it in orange if you have the need for some HD orange inside your pipes.

Don't smoke when doing that LOL

A rag in Denatured alcohol would work too...

Also to help at the joints before assembly get some
    Copper RTV at any auto parts store, it's a higher
    temp sealant that will make the join leak proof

Coat the inside the of the muffler and then install on the header
    don't reuse muffler clamps more than once, replace them, they
    heat and expand and stretch, so you don't get full clamping force.
  14. chucktx

torque all bolts/nuts to factory specs.........