1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

V-Ductor

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ShowMe02WG, May 2, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

What? With what I am getting now? Now I am getting 50 mpg with a lot of snow.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The air flow coming into the carburetor (or throttle body) is required to make a 90 degree turn since air is feeding in from the sides of the air cleaner. The V-Ductor and similar designs that K&N have started using (hmmm) redirect the air and set it up to flow down the center of the carburetor rather than bouncing off the walls. Velocity stacks work in the same manner and despite not having an air cleaner covering them air is still moving past the stack perpendicular and must make the same turn inward.

Without knowing more about your aircleaner it is hard for me to diagnose but perhaps your particular stock filter has too tight of a clearance between the top of the cone and the inner metal face of the filer.
  3. Deuce3

Deuce3 New Member

Your explanation certainly makes sense - particularly the no air cleaner analogy.

It's the standard K&N tapered filter - Harley branded. It's tapered and fits under the normal football cover. It was cleaned and recharged recently per K&N directions. I'm open to any suggestions. I put on lots of miles and the MPG is important to me.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Deuce3 the V ductor will work on your set up ,I had the same set up on my E glide , I just changed the chrome foot ball to the round EVO style cover I like the looks better
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Deuce3, mine is the same set up and I get great mileage. Could it be that the return route had a bit more up hills
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

the only thing that really affects my mileage is a headwind. Mileage is pretty steady at 50 plus mpg's.
  7. Deuce3

Deuce3 New Member

I don't know why, but it's not doing for me what it seems to for others. My route was exactly the same - not one way and then back - around the same loop in the same direction twice. My air filter was open - no cover. Cover screw hole was plugged. I have a larger air filter element on the way and may try again, but for now it's out. I'm aware that two seemingly 'identical' engines can be quite different in terms of optimum jets, mixture settings, etc.
  8. kenfuzed

Let me know how it works with the air cleaner change. I certainly want to see the product work out for you.
  9. Deuce3

Deuce3 New Member

I will, Ken. I'm putting on a 3" high filter with a glass cover that I'm having made. Drilling and tapping the back plate 10-24 in 3 places 120 deg apart and mounting with 10-24 threaded rod. Figured it would look cool - and even cooler with the V-Ductor in place. Plus - I'll have the only one like it.

PS just ordered the choke relocator and emulsion tube today. We'll see what the emulsion tube will do. I just can't leave $hit alone.
  10. JohnnyBiker

I was going ask if the weather was the exact same when you tested the V-Ductor?
  11. Deuce3

Deuce3 New Member

That's a good question. It was probably 5-10 deg warmer out when I ran without it.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Not sure where you are from but here in Minnesota in the summer, 5-10 degree can make a huge difference in humidity. I am taking about humidity which has a huge bearing on performance. Just a thought.
  13. Deuce3

Deuce3 New Member

How do you get the bike back home after you ride down the mountain?
  14. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I'm not getting the performance increases others get too. I think it may be my air filter. I'm using a Ness big sucker backing plate, with a wire mesh foam element, The wire mesh is about 1 3/4 inch high. The cover made from a 3 quart cooking pot. It is about 1/2 inch larger in diameter than the backing plate. This set up sets in close to the engine. My leg goes around it to the highway peg better than any cover, air cleaner element I have tried. I have a short inseam. 27 inches
    I ran the big sucker straight sided filter and the 8 inch cover. I couldn't reach the highway peg. I then tried the stock cover. A tapered filter. None would let me reach the foot peg. I traded my big sucker cover for an old style foam filter with a chrome cover and a backing plate. the backing plate fit the old carbs.
    I cut up the big sucker filter for the steel part that the three bolts hook the backing plate to the carb, so I could use the foam filter with the cover.
    At 1 3/4 inch thick the metal plate is too close to the V-Ducter, so it gets little air flow in the end and most through the sides.
    I think my gas milage dropped about 1-2 mpg.
    It does run a bit smoother and the throttle response it a bit better too. Not much but a noticable amount. I think with a larger free flowing filter the improvment will be much better.
  15. JohnnyBiker

Why not try to cut the length of the V-Ductor? if I remember right, the total length of the Ductor is an inch, bring that down to about .75?maybe that will allow for the air to travel a little better? I really like the air intake and cleaner set up that I have, works really well. Do you think that thos big suckers work to well the way it is to have the ductor on?? I mean those intake bring a lot of air in the way it is??
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

fx....i think your correct on restricted air flow.......
  17. cowboy

fx rider have you tried running the SE air cleaner set up ? cause it does sound like your restricting your air flow ,& the se will let your legs reach the pegs ,I run one & it works good with the v ductor :D
  18. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That's the way mine is set up to Cowboy, both bikes are set up like that and both work great.
  19. cowboy

YA I think they work just fine like that , I clean the filter out a couple time a year & replace it once a year ,& all is good that way been doing it since I got the bike in 04 :D
  20. kenfuzed

fxdxriderleo, rather than cutting down the V-Ductor I would try to provide extra space via a spacer or stack of gaskets between the v-ductor and a/c backing plate. The air cleaner you described sounds like it may be a bit shallower than most of the stock or aftermarket filters previously tested.

You could try in this order: gasket | V-Ductor | 5x gaskets | air cleaner backing. This would give you approximately an extra 1/4" offset and enough extra space inside the a/c for the velocity stack to do it's job. Let me know if you are looking for extra gaskets as I make those here as well.