1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Vance and Hines Quiet Baffles, Yes or No

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HellBoy, Feb 18, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Vance and hines pipes are know for one thing, shaking the ground and making noise. When you go on a ride of 400 miles in a day yer head is stilll shaking from the noise.
    They had the same pipe on the AIH bikes for a year.
  2. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

You may be right, but I must say the improved performance V&H gives is important to me.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I might disagree with you a bit there Cardboard. Yes, many of the V&H pipes are loud especially some of the short shots.
    I've run the V&H Ovals for years on my touring bikes and there not loud but have a good quality sound. My 09 ultra came with the V&H Monster Ovals and they to are not loud but have a good sound. Both of those pipes when cruising down the highway you can turn the stereo on and listen to music without being disturbed by loud pipes. Two things V&H is well known for is quality and power increase of their product.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  4. donny612

donny612 New Member

Vance and Hines Slip ons

Vance and Hines ovals here on my '06 Ultra based on recommendations I got here on this forum. Thanks again guys! Louder than stock but not obnoxious and a little noticable performance improvement. Slip ons-easy install.
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Put the quiet baffles in my V&H true duals. Can't say I really noticed a reduction in the noise level. but then again my wife says I don't hear very well:eek:

What I did notice is that the sound seems a little more high pitched now, and not the low throaty sound the stock baffles had. Not sure I like them, thinkin of takin them out and puttin the stock ones backin.
  6. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I may be able to put the quiet baffles in this Saturday. I do like the sound of the Big Shots, and really hope it doesn't do what ringo experienced. I've been hoping it keeps the tone the same and just dials it down 10% . If the pitch is shifted to something higher, I'll probably go right back to stock V&H baffles and forget the Quiet Baffles. I'm very sensitive to changes in sound quality, being a professional musician for 35 years. What's important to me is that on a 200 mile ride I can get into a groove without being distracted by nasty sounding pipes. One thing, I just switched to Redline synthetics from dino, and the sound did change a little. perhaps the engine noise is a bit louder. I'm hoping the new baffles compensate. I'll post as soon as it's done.
  7. REDHEAD

REDHEAD New Member

PYTHON_3's

I looked back on this thread thinking it stated"""" PYTHON-3'S were made by V&H....... Must of been on hdtalking....... Anyone here have that answer.....
    The p-3's are nice and I will not change over to any other exhaust but would if I had the $$$$$ to WASTE to stimulate the economy!

HEY MAYBE I CAN GET SOME OF THE GOVT'S (OUR) MONEY OUT OF THIS!!!!!

signed....REDHEAD
  8. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I got my Quiet Baffles installed yesterday. I rode both street and highway, and then a little more today. My friend also rode a bit for me, so I've heard the new baffles from all sorts of perspectives now. They made my Street Bob sound a bit more cruiser like, reminds me of a Road King, although different. I miss the original sound, but it still sounds like a Harley and I think it's a good compromise between tone and volume. They should be good for NYC riding and long rides. Less impact on my hearing and less attention from those whose attention I don't want. I couldn't hear it from five blocks away, only when around 2-3 blocks away did I know a bike was coming.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sound's like your happy with them & that's what counts
  10. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I appreciate all the input and advice, thanks everyone. I'd still like to ride a few more days before giving my final impression. I wouldn't say I'm happy, just pleased that the sound is pretty good. It's snowing here in NYC, so I'll have to wait a few days before I get to try it out again.
  11. FLHTbiker

Hope they work out for you Hellboy, by the way its 58 and sunny here today so think I'll go for a ride. :D
  12. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I guess winter had to give NYC one more kick in the ass before saying bye bye. Now I have to wait for the snow to melt. 58 sounds good FLHT, I really enjoy cool to mildly warm temps like 55-70.
  13. FLHTbiker

It actually got up to 62 F here today which for a Feb. day here is not bad. We have had snow in Feb also. My fav temps for riding is 70-80. Once it hits the 95-100 range I park it and time for a cold brew in a cool place. :)
  14. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I noticed a slight loss of power in 1st. gear after installing the Quiet Baffles. There's another problem I'm still trying to isolate that may be causing this, so I won't blame the Quiet baffles just yet. Won't know until I get my nbike back from HD.