1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Vance and Hines True duals

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by CD, Aug 20, 2004.

1. CD

CD Guest

I have to admit, these are the best looking true duals I have come across. Best fit, finish and the usual outstanding quality. What is immediately apparent is the very obvious difference in bends between the Bub X-Dresser and the V&H pipes. The V&H pipes have a much smoother exit and shallower turn on the rear jug and smoother bends on the front.
    During our Dyno testing I was surprised at the difference they made in HP and Torque over the Bub's.
    We received a lot of these and have created a special "combo" package with the very popular V&H oval slip on mufflers.
    If you are tired of following the Rinehart pack and want to have the industries best fit, finish and quality check these out.

[/u][/color][/size]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2006
  2. tvelotta

tvelotta New Member

V & H True Duals

Recieved the set and are now on!! Easy installation and man do they sound good.

tvelotta
  3. Seahag

Seahag New Member

couplaqeustionsfor CD

Hey CD-
    Do you plan on testing these against the Hooker True dual system? I looked into your hot deal on the vance and Hines and the deal you have on the hooker system in only like ten dollars more...just wondering if it would pay to do the hookers for an extra few bucks? I know that hooker advertises that they use stepped headers which seems to be all the rage now...does the Vance and hines system use that as well?
  4. CD

CD Guest

Did I mention I hate it when a program changes the page you are on and you loose everything? Note to developers: Do NOT CHANGE the current I.E. page when opening a hyper link. Bone heads.

Seahag,
    I think they will run neck and neck with the Hookers out performing the V&H a little in some areas. The V&H True Duals show little or no reversion which surprised me as the Rinehart's exhibit quite a bit. I was making the pulls in 4th gear at 2,000 RPM to make sure we were getting below the normal reversion starting point.

I do have a set of Hookers that UPS returned and paid for after they ruined the box. They are in new condition and if you want them I will give you a gonga IF you let me Dyno them first.

The Vance and Hines are so typical of their systems great fit, finish and quality. They are one sweet looking system.
  5. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Thanks CD for offering me a couple hookers on the cheap;)...I think I'm going to stick with my KhromeWerks HP+100's. I've been in communication with your John Roman...and I'm just going to order a single pipe without the tip as I'll use the one I've got. I love the sound of these pipes and by all reports they are good performers...and my left side pipe still looks new...so one pipe and the Vance and Hines true dual headers are tops on my offseason aquisition list. Hope you're not planning to discontinue the "special" rate on them headers for a few months.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

CD I might know a guy that is interested if they will fit a 98 RK with a El Bruto 113.

Let me know, I doubt he'd care if you "warmed them up" a bit first LOL
  7. CD

CD Guest

Sounds good.

Send him an e-mail and let him know to contact me and we can set it up.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I sent him a message , his name is Doug and he's from FL but in MI right now I don't know what he'll do but I gave him your E-mail.
  9. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Got any dyno charts?

Hey CD...Still planning to pick up a set of these true duals from you...Just wondering if you could post some of the dyno runs you've been getting with them. I've read some stuff that says true duals raise the torque curve up about 500 rpm..so you lose a little low end power.
  10. CD

CD Guest

Let me get caught up with the new store and I will get some postings done. Have quite a few tests left to do yet also.
  11. schuffyman

schuffyman New Member

vance and hines duals

I bought a set of true dual vance and hines pipes,
    I don't know what muffler to run with them.
    Can I run screamin eagles?
    should I only run v&h ovals?
    I hav a screaming eagle pro race tuner and there is no map to upload for v&h dual with either SE mufflers or v&h ovals.

I have a 2005 Ultra classic.

I have dual pipes, SE air cleaner kit, pro race tuner.

So what mufflers?
    what map do i load?
    Can anyone help!?
  12. CD

CD Guest

You can run any muffler for a '95 and later bagger (FLT/H). V&H, Bub, Python etc.

If there is no map for your choice you have three options.
    1. Do a lot of reading and testing and set it yourself
    2. Take it to a dealer that may have a map that will work
    3. Take it to a dealer with a Dyno and an exhaust analyzer and is proficient on the HRT.

One of the major downsides to the HRT is the lack of available maps and techs that can use them properly. Technology wise it is the best for tuning but until enough maps get built and dealers get trained the PC will outshine it.
  13. schuffyman

schuffyman New Member

vance and hines duals

Thanks! I'll more than likely take it to the local dealer...Hate to but its new and don't want to burn it up.
    Thanks again
  14. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Research

CD,

I came across this thread doing V&H Dresser Dual research. Have you tested these with the SEII slipons?

I had a 2001 Dyna SG with an HSR42, Ness Big Sucker, and Hooker Race Style Short Staggered Pipes with 1 7/8" core. For a stock 88, this bike ran very strong so I had no need to go to 95". The bike would spin to max rpm without hesitation.

Now I have a 2006 Road Glide and had the SE slipons, cleaner and download done before I picked up the bike. I knew the bike was a lot heaver, but forgot they would compensate with lower gearing. I have since installed a PCIII usb, and it runs a little stronger, but some times the 2000-4000rpm is smooth and quick, others it feels bogged down and slower to spin up (you can hear the difference when it does this). It just feels like it doesn't want to spin over 4000rpm. I think this is the crossover setup and not allowing it to breath like the Hookers on the Dyna did. So I am interested in what you have found, performance wise, with the V&H dressers and slip-ons. The bike gets me where I need to go, with wife or solo, and on the highway 80-90 mph isn't a problem for the stock 88, I just need the lower end to open up a bit more. You opinion??

If you've answered in another thread I haven't found it yet...lots of post on true dual exhaust and I haven't gotten through them all yet. Hell, you could start a new forum category just for this. :D
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about al that hige teck stuff, But I put the V&H true dules with my sampson ovels on my 03 Flhtpi , & it run's a lot better all around from start to finish , I do have a power commander set be stubbs harley in Houston , but set with the old header pipe on & the ovels & SE air cleaner I still need to recheck the map set up , but she runs cooler now then before :cool:
  16. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I've been researching these pipes for 4-5 week. Every thread I see these mentioned, someone says they are installing them and will post the dyno numbers. I haven't seen one dyno sheet or numbers for these pipes posted by the countless number of people that said they would do so. I know my dyna ran better with the hooker 2-2s and I know the stock 88 is capable of a lot more than it's giving me now. I'm just trying to figure out if the OEM exhaust with SEII slip-on is the reason for the motor freely spinning to 5000+ rpm sometimes, and will barely go over 38-3900rpms at other times. There is an exhaust note difference when this happens.

Problem now is that Bub redesigned the X-Dressers and added an O2 sensor port. Not worried about the O2 sensor, but it would be nice to upgrade the fuel managment later without having to install the port in whatever pipes I have. I want to know if the new X-dresser is as good as the V&H or does the V&H still outperform them.

Ride Safe
  17. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

deathwind, if your bogging down @ 2-4 k somethink is wrong with your set up , my 03 Flhtpi is now set up to bog @6k then if I do hit the bog point I just back off alittle bit & she run's just fine , if you had a dealer set up the pc111 take it back & have them double check it , or do it your self , I run the V&H true dules with samson ovels love the performence & sound & my right hip area stays a lot cooler now & the wifes right foot is a lot cooler as well ;)
  18. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Ride home

I'm going to pull the PCIII for the ride home, but I think it was doing it with stock ECM also. I still think it's the stock headers. I think I'll get the duals anyways, because I can't stand that crossover at my right leg. It's already hitting upper 90s here and that setup just doesn't help.
  19. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

PCIII Setting suck

Well, it has to be something with the PCIII. Ride home was good and bike revs without issues. Going to wait until I get the Dresser Duals on before putting it back on. Now all I have to figure out is what slip-on is the closest to the SE IIs for map selection or I may just sell the thing and go for a DFO or V&H Fuel Pak.
  20. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Thanks Cowboy

I finally pulled my head out of my rear and relooked at everything I was doing with the PCIII. Turns out it was a simple fix....well simple if you got a laptop or can ride the bike to the room in your house where the computer is :D .

So, I took the wife's laptop to the garage and hooked the PCIII back up (which, by the way, doesn't make her happy :mad: ). After firing up the bike, I reloaded the correct map to be safe.....well look there the dang throttle position was off. Reset that and rode it to work this morning and it's running like I knew it was capable of. Strong off the line and spins up without a problem.

I went ahead and ordered the V&H true duals to eliminate the right side heater. Now if anyone knows what slip-on best matches the flow characteristics of the SE II slip-ons, I will know what the best match for a new map will be. Or if you have a map for V&H Dresser Duals, SE II slip-ons, SE air cleaner and Stage I download, I would appreciate it if you'd send it to me.

Ride Safe.