1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Vance & Hines 2003 Heritage

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Rooster, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Rooster

Rooster New Member

I just bought a set of Vnce & Hines Longshots for my 2003 Heritage Softail Classic is it necessary to have the EFI remapped ? Will not be changing the air system at all. Would appreciate the advice. Thanks
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Rooster nice pipes loud look good, they are less restrictive than stock and SE pipes so you should look into popping on a SE Air Filter kit and stage 1 burn or a DFO/powercommander to add fuel, a DFO should do the trick.

Best bang for the $ is the full stage 1 treatment, Also don't ride around with the baffles out it will kill the low end as these are drag pipes, and they are very loud with out the baffles. Your riding friends will hate you when you take off and bust ear drums, been there done that LOL
  3. ldadel

ldadel New Member

undefinedundefined
    Rooster, I own a '98 - FLHRCI, used the V&H Longshots.
    liked them (LOUD) went with the DFO $68.00, good deal.
    Works fine. Unfortunately had to remove the pipes, my local State Trooper does not like anything different than
    H-D stock mufflers! The fines get to you after a while.
    The DFO took about a half an hour to set/test, satisfied with it.
    FLHRwrench
  4. SISK

SISK New Member

Finish the mod.

Rooster,

I also have an '03 FLSTCI. I put the V&H Big Shots on the bike, but I also installed a powercommander and put on a high flow air cleaner. IMHO you need to finish the airflow modification by installing a higher flow aircleaner to allow more air through your engine and then adjust your EFI to efficiently use that available air by remapping, Power Commander or other EFI controller.

SISK

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!
  5. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Thamks Sisk, I will go ahead and puy the stage 1 air kit on bike along with the longshots ( Vance & Hines) and have the dealer remap it. Is putting the air kit on something I can do? I did it on a 2002 V Star 1100 Classic ( Thundercharger, Carburated). Thanks again for the help.
    Rooster
  6. SISK

SISK New Member

Air cleaner intallation

Rooster,

Installation of the A/C is quite easy. I purchased the Ness Big Sucker from Direct Parts. It had everything needed for installation. Just remove the stock cleaner and follow the simple instructions to install the Ness.
    Rocket Science degree not required :D

SISK

If all else fails, Brush your teeth!