1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wanted: 96 CI Jugs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Buy, Sell, Trade or Wanted' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 7, 2011.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

its a bagger . when i ported the heads on mine and added cams and the .030 gaskets it moved better but as a wrench it was not the cams that did it it was the heads and the gaskets the only reason i did the cams was for the gear drive set up . and make sure when i do the big bore that they were in there all ready .
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Here are the dyno charts that were taken of The Road Glide. The first one or Run 1 is cluttered and makes no power really at all and I am pretty sure that it is when the bike was stock.

Run 2 is better as well but if you can tell that the AFR are still not where they should be.

Ok, now with this bike I can't really imagine going greater that 85 miles an hour so I think that I would like cams that are a little more aggressive in the lower rpm's. Just a thought.....

Attached Files:

3. baggerpaul

the shorter duration and late intake did bump ther cylinder pressure some . but the big change was the tighter quench from the gasket, and free flow of the short turn and bowl work !
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The tq comes on at 3000 RPM thats why you feel it on the freeway

What work was done to this bike do you know if he put cams
    in the bike, the notes don't indicate any work other than an AC mod
    the guys name is on the run some polish name so that should narrow
    the search down to 50% of the sotans
  5. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

I have a set of 96" cylinders off my 09 with approx. 2000 mi. also pistons, stock cams, and stock ex. all of it is for sale.
  6. JohnnyBiker

I was told Andrews 37 cams were put in. I am not sure either what exhaust was used for each run. I am going to ask the salesman that I bought the bike from if he can put me in touch with the previous owner so I can get more information out of him. There was an upgrade to the tranny that I am curious about as well. I didn't buy the bike in Minnesota..
  7. hotroadking

and it's still 88?

Thats why it's a dog down low and and an arm puller up top
    37's are too much cam for an 88 with stock heads, intake and pistons.

However they are very good in a 95 inch, you want at minimum 10 to 1
    compression for those cams to work properly, I would get the bigger cyl and 10.5 to 1 pistons HD SE, you can install these yourself, (well maybe LOL) it's pretty straight
    forward, make sure you have the SM

That should wake it up nicely, some head work will make it run very well.

I would start looking for a CV44 carb, backing plate and CV SE 44 intake with flanges this will bolt right up and it doesn't need any special slides, needles or other geehaws it will perform well out of the box with a K&N filter so when the heads are done it will flow enough to get it moving.

You should also get a +4 degree gear for the cams advancing them
    to let the intake close a bit earlier and bring on the bottom end
    about 300 to 400 RPM sooner, works great.

remember this is a heavy bike, and it will be ridden two up
    loaded at times, Torque is the key, that curve you have
    needs to move to the left and up...
  8. baggerpaul

that thing is a little rich not lean john id would leave it .its below 13.2 john at wide open . your reading the chart wrong john .tune aint bad not perfect but not bad
  9. baggerpaul

those runs were before and after tune runs you got them mix up . 2 is 1 and 1 is two . look at the both sheets you can see were af was corrected . ps. thats how all dyno sheets should be laid out to read them easy.
  10. hotroadking

Funny I was reading it was way lean on run 1, AFR up in the 18+ range basically off the chart, and then it was improved bringing it down in the second

The bike JMO needs more fuel, starts off rich which is fine (accel pump hitting when it goes WOT) then runs lean and richens up as it gets up in the higher RPM, basically the opposite of what it should be doing.

JB, pull the carb check the needle and jets see whats in there, my guess is the main is fine, the needle needs to be shimmed (moved up) or go to the needle you got for the sporty in this carb I bet it works if it already has the sporty needle then you need to increse the pilot jet one size.
  11. baggerpaul

i dont know why . it lays out like that when i open the file also but any way . looking at the run i have in front of me . from 3000. rpm and above he is rich . at 2500 to 2850 he looks to be about 13.9 maybe a little fatter . but looking at the power curve the motor likes it . i would not change it the torque and power curve look awesome there is no drop out at all
  12. JohnnyBiker

Ok, now I see what you are talking about. I guess that isn't that bad of tune. :D
  13. JohnnyBiker

My only real issue is that I don't like where the power was made. It is at about 4k rpm. I would like that to drop down to about 3k rpm. I noticed that when my wife is on the bike with me that there just isn't enough grunt. That has to change. :cool::D
  14. baggerpaul

if that was my bike before i change any thing i would go down one size on the main and try and see if it changes the power curve at all . it might wake it up a little early in the power band .worth a try and wont hurt a thing
  15. hotroadking

Yeah I was looking at the red line not the blue line
    been a long day LOL

YOu are correct it's rich, I'll change my tune LOL

I'd look in the carb to see what jets and needle
    are in there.

Then it looks like it needs more up front fuel, that will be one size larger pilot
    I bet the main is too big and they have the needle down and couldn't get it
    better.

Open her up this evening, you aren't going riding right?
    get the jet sized and needle size and position.

more up front fuel less up top fuel, it's backwards not
    bad but not best.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Ok gentleman. I was able to get a hold of the prior owner of this bike. He had said that he changed the comp sprocket and he put in Helio cut 5th gear which changed the tranny utilizing 5th more like an overdrive. This explains why I have so much grunt when I downshift into 4th and just friggen shiit can it. The prior owner hinted or speculated that there was already a 95" kit in there but I just don't think there is. I guess I will find out when I tear it down and look at the bore size.
  17. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

He put an overdrive in it?. I can't remember the final drive ratio on that vintage. I don't think you're going to get any dramatic motion out of your motor much below 3000, none of my bikes ever did..including the baby stroker. at 70 miles per hour what was your tach reading in 5th? and what does it read in 4th. I think there was around a 600 rpm spread on my '04 I never paid too much attention, probably shouda but all I was concerned with was keeping the motor between 3000 and 3500..it liked it there. One thing I would look at if the bike doesn't have it already is a rear stabilizer. If it doesn't have one that'd be the first thing I'd put on it.
  18. Madd Knox

Madd Knox New Member

I have a set here,3.875 STD 95 inch bore, I could give quick hone or I can resize up to the next bore size +.005 over. They are factory and wrinkle black. 120 for the pair ( with re hone) or add another 120 for rebore. Shipping probably around 20-25 bucks if in U.S. contact me through sandmcycles.com. I can also get whatever parts you need at a discounted rate.
    Mike
  19. JohnnyBiker

It isn't a true overdrive though. With this tranny work and the bigger primary sprocket the gearing is completely different that what it should be, you can tell when the butt dyno is working.

Rear stabilizer? what does that do?
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

It's a stabilizing link that keeps the back of the bike from walking around. I put one on my '04 and it made the bike more stable on corners..just easier ti ride. It's hard to put it in words..not a huge dramatic difference but there's just no drama when you're throwing the bike around. I had my '04 set up and it handled as good as the newer framed bike. here's a link to the one I bought
    The Original True-Track

I hope this isn't considered spam..there are other types out there but this one I have experience and it works