1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Washing your bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by RoadKingBlack2010, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Given I live in the UK, so we have rain, snow, road salt, and stuff. Then there are the country roads spread with cow and horse droppings. For serious cleaning I use S-100. It is amazing stuff.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The best solution I have found for removing the bugs is just plain water and a towel. Course washing it with auto soap works the same or better. On the road we carry a small squirt bottle and wet the windshield down. I then use a micro yellow towel then follow it up with a spray cleaner like ShowTime or Honda cleaner. But simple plain old water works great removing the bugs, everywhere.
    By the way the water squirt bottle functions as a duel purpose, cleans the bugs off and the wife also uses it to wet her hair and brush out the helmet hair look.:D

Welcome to Lazy Hog!
  3. steveb

steveb Active Member

I use a Mr. Clean car wash thing that has a soap dispenser built into it. It also has a filter to clean all the minerals out of the water for rinsing. Then I blow dry with a mini blaster , I get no water spots to clean up using this take about 1 hr to wash and dry and get back on the road.
  4. RoadKingBlack2010

RoadKingBlack2010 New Member

To dry my bike I use my air compressor works fantastic.
  5. FLHTbiker

I use my electric leaf blower on low but never use it on the dash. I just won a Harley bike air dryer but have not used it yet.
  6. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Several years ago, we got emails from the dealerships tellin us NOT TO GO TO THE CARWASH or use a HIGH PREssure washer and clean the bike, It would force water down in electrical contacts and make things on the bike not work or the bike to not crank.
    To use a water hose and wash it.

So if you go to the car wash yer on yer own........

When washing yer bike by hand look at everything on the bike. You can look for loose things, worn tires and other things like that.

Years ago I ordered me a Master blaster. It puts out warm air and does a great job.

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/search?Context=0&Ntt=910-450&Ntk=All&x=18&y=11

[​IMG]
  7. steveb

steveb Active Member

I have the little brother to that the "mini blaster" and it does work very well.
  8. FLHTbiker

I need to get my new Harley blower out that I won and give it a try.
  9. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I use the 3M detailing cloths to dry my bike, to wash it, and to wax, but I have to get me one of these.:D Thanks CB
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a brisk ride down a county road works for me!!!!!! lol lol
  11. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Aren't they dirt roads???? :roflmao::roflmao:
  12. steveb

steveb Active Member

13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

14. steveb

steveb Active Member

I purchased the one H-D sells about 3 years ago seems to working well yet.
    Same size and price as the one JP sells.
  15. FLHTbiker

I washed the bike today getting ready to ride with the group to the All Harley Drags this weekend.
    I used the HD blower that I won and it worked pretty well. My electric leaf blower set on low works better though.
  16. chucktx

im not suprised........i have seen how you store your tools all over the garage floor..........:) altho they are in nice sized piles!!!
  17. FLHTbiker

Knew a guy once who lived alone and never did any house cleaning. Had to go over there one time to buy a used part he said he had. Good god, the dust was so thick in his house it was like walking down a dirt road with each step the dust would fly up under your shoes. Well, he to had piles and all were gray covered do to the dust. He knew what was in each pile and knew exactly what pile to open up. Sounds like Cardboard needs you to go over there with some wood and tools and build him some shelving. :D
  18. Chrome

Chrome New Member

I too like the S-100...nice to just rinse bike, spray S100, then just rinse and RIDE!!!
  19. chucktx

hehehehehe.............i REALLY know how you keep your bike clean!!!!!!!:)
  20. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Are we talking about DIRT and GUNK like from riding through rain and bugs, or just the dust that settles on it overnight? If you're talking about dust, FLHTbiker's leaf blower (HAH!) might work OK, or one of those old-fashioned feather dusters.

But if it's REALLY dirty from actually riding down Chucktx's dirt roads and all day thru all kinds of weather, the car wash is the easiest way. I do carry a couple of those plastic bags they deliver newspapers in, and slip one over each side of the handlebars to protect electrics, and a cloth laid over the radio and ignition switch. I avoid spraying directly on the wheel bearings too. The motor is already warm from riding, so water evaporates instantly and the black paint comes back sharp. Then use the de-ionized rinse cycle for spot-free rinse.

Tried S-100 a couple times, but it didn't seem to get anything clean, and then it left a grey film on everything after rinsing with a hose. Waste of time and money.