1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What a Day

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by wvak47, Jun 14, 2015.

1. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Just got my Wide Glide in April and yesterday was the first chance I had to ride with old friends from when I got the Sporty many moons ago. We are about 80 miles into our day full of fun and rain when my one buddy went deer hunting. Dang doe came across guardrail like a deer missile and took the front wheel right out on his ride. We were riding staggered and I admit I may have been a bit closer than I should but when I saw the deer maybe a second before he hit it and got on my brakes hard. He goes down and slides to the right, directly in my path. Deer didn't mean anything to me at that point it was all about don't hit my friend. He stops in the road and the bike went through just in front of my tire and in the ditch. Back tire in a skid coming around it was time to grab a tighter fist full of front and end this. Our other buddy was riding two up with his girl and thank God they were holding back a bit looking at something so he didn't have to save his ride with a passenger.

My other buddies' girl is a nurse and went straight to work cleaning the down rider's rash while neighbors helped get the bike up and I flagged traffic. Once bike was out of ditch damage assessed and rode up to neighbor's home, we pulled the fender off the front as it was rubbing front tire. Everything checked out and seemed to be working beyond that and to my buddies' credit he saddled up and rode that beast about 60 miles back home.

Ol boy slide about 30 feet on the pavement and got a real good dose of road rash. Just wearing a tank top and blue jeans. No gloves and a half shell. Helmet not a mark on it, hands less a bit of calluses but fine. Shoulders knees and left arm ate up. He is in a lot of pain today between the rash and just general sore from getting his arse kicked.

I don't care how good of a rider you think you are there was not a dang thing he could have done different that would have saved him from going down. Many things he could have done to save some pain today. Simple things like chaps, sleeves/jacket, gloves.

Today looking back on it all, I am thankful my buddy wasn't hurt more than he was. I am very thankful I didn't hit him and glad I was able to keep mine up right and didn't join in. Never take any ride for granted and always understand when everyone gets back home healthy and with new good memories it is a true gift. Laying a bike down may be an inevitable part of riding but is sure sucks when it happens on a ride your on. Stay safe and keep having fun in the wind folks.
  2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Glad he is OK...Could have been worse...One hit me back in 78 I think...Was not a fun experience...That episode taught me to wear gloves as I did not know that you could not do skin grafts to hands and feet...Thank God for my helmet...I probably would not be here today...
  3. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Damn that sux dude. I could visualize it unfolding as i was reading it. Whew is alls i can say. You're so right it could have been worse on so many levels. All involve were lucky.

I don't understand why too many riders don't dress more safely. I bet he does from now on. What do you think? I know thats why i ride wearing better gear. No guarantee i know but murphys law and all that.mglad every one came out for the most part okay.
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Dang. It could have been worse and I'm glad it wasn't. Guy here got killed hitting a deer at night. I don't ride at night if I can help it.
  5. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

You know if we stop and think about most things, they all could potentially be worse LOL. The other side of that coin says they dang well could have been better too. I am just thankful by friend didn't get killed in front of me, that I didn't add to his injuries by hitting his sliding arse, and that I managed to keep my new scoot looking the way it did prior to this. I just want to give everyone in our community of riders a quick hey don't forget to pay attention and practice your riding skills a bit more. Be sure to hug your family a bit tighter and tell your friends what they mean to you a little more often cause when we straddle that bike we honestly don't know if we are coming home tonight or not or if everyone that leaves out with us is. It was just a little wake up for me. I wish everyone here the best and safest riding season ever.
    FLHTbiker and badinfluence63 like this.
  6. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

7. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Watch out for Wild Turkey too...The kind that fly...They are stupid and big and always a few of them...Had a guy killed last year...
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Glad everything is ok.
  9. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

LOL dang a Turkey. That is crazy and never even gave them a thought. I had a hawk come up out of a ditch on me once and scare the Bgeebus out of me. Thought that critter was going to latch onto my leg the way she was rolling that belly around. My buddy is doing ok, got some antibiotics where he drives truck to keep the chance of infection down and should be back in the cab today.
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear he is doing much better. We had a lady go down and skid under the guard rail, broke 4 ribs collapsed her lung and now she to is doing better. Maddog held her in his arms until paramedics and life flight arrived.
    Hope everyone just rides safe this year, no crashes. :)
  11. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Glad he's doing well. In another post I wrote about one riding with me go down. Leather, helmet, gloves and boots saved his skin and noggin.