1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Apr 1, 2012.

1. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Way beyond his years... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
  2. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Remember when Hitler's staff rented Goldwings? OOOF DA!!

Like he said, "If they would have rented BMW's, at least they wouldn't get beaten up by the Harley guys!"
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I checked the national HOG site and there is no mention that associate members can't ride a non-Harley. It also does not say that they must ride a Harley either.
  4. olbill

olbill Active Member

It also says all chapters have to have a minimum of 4 closed rides a year and all riders have to be members of the hog chapter and they are ALLOWED I GUEST and it say's nothing about the bike they ride.:)
  5. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I was in a HOG chapter and recall a couple in which the wife owned a Harley and the husband owned a large metric cruiser. Obviously, he was the associate member. Would that mean that he'd need to ride bitch on closed rides?

I see both sides, but I'd have to go with the "dealer's call" argument. Honestly, the whole closed/open thing and all the waivers and expectations of working at all the dealer's events with zero benefit from the dealer really turned me off of HOG. I was heavily involved (engaged to the director and LOH officer), then heavily disengaged (huge resentment with dealer over HOG and other things), started to get back into it in Colorado, and decided that there are a million things to do and people to ride with without the aggravation and free labor of a HOG chapter. I have friends in several chapters around here, but I haven't been a member of a local chapter since I left New Hampshire, and I didn't renew my national membership last year.
  6. FLHTbiker

I believe it says 4 closed events per year not just rides. Surprised you side with the dealer Abby especially after all that you went through. The dealer in this case is wrong. We all here have proven that, sure he can do what he wants he is the owner of the chapter. What that will mean for him is lost revenue and that will effect him in the long run. When he see's that and feels it in his pocket book then he may step back and say, whoops. However, I really don't think he will care now that he just introduced Triumph into his store.:rolleyes:

Just found out another good friend of ours and his wife quit the chapter for that reason and because of that new women director who he really tried to support in the beginning but she really crapped all over him. I will probably drop out and ride mostly with friends and possibly other groups. Have joined as I said with another local chapter, Sunset HOG but still may just ride mostly with friends.

It's to bad to as it used to be a really good chapter to belong to and had some really great rides. A lot of those people that made it that way are gone now and those that are now running it simply do not have a clue as to what it takes to make it, friends and fun.
    I would look at riding with the local Abate chapter but to much drinking and riding to suit me.
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I don't side with the dealer. I think dealers totally use the HOG members. I think HOG is the biggest scam in motorcycling. They manage to rope in a bunch of people to work at their events and generate more business for the dealership. It's nice to help you meet other riders, which was useful for me when I bought my bike and knew very few people in the area because I was new. I understand the draw, but there's nothing that HOG offers you that you can't do for yourself. Many dealerships dropped their HOG chapters when times got tough, and some folks started their own riding groups. All the same benefits without the dealer control.

The thing is, EVERYTHING that pertains to the chapter ultimately is controlled by the dealer. You get the facade of running your own organization, but you aren't.
  8. FLHTbiker

I think what you and many here are not understanding is this. I am not talking about any non Harley motorcycle. I am referring to this, associate members only who are rhe spouse of a full chapter members and a card carrying full HOG member. They are a associate member that rides a non-Harley motorcycle. It has always been allowed and not disallowed by HOG national. This dealer who is being duped by his dictator women new director she wants to keep certain members out. We know that and it is causing a split in the chapter. Anyone who opposes her she finds ways to get rid of them. That is what many of us believe was the factor in her going to the dealer owner about this issue. Why was this not an issue prior in the chapter, because the other directors did not feel it being a threat to them and the chapter. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against having a women as the chapter director and would have supported another lady in the chapter who was also being considered. This women that got the position is very phony has so much bling all over her body and trike it's scary. I know that should have nothing to do with it but it's just an extension of her personality. She does not even know how to ride very well but she does know how to ma***ulate her way.
    I am starting to think your way towards HOG and all other large motorcycle organizations. :)
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That's right, it is a Dealer supported and run organization,
    and that's the way they are setup, to help new riders meet others
    have organized rides (some folks like that) and meet n greet events
    at the dealer, they are not really "clubs" like a private club and are not
    meant to be as such.

I agree the dealer is short sighted and taking the advice of one person
    who thinks it should be exclusive HD. Perhaps you should bring him/her
    aside and nicely mention that there are several members, who are voicing
    their opinions that the HD only bike rule is of concern, they are members who
    have two bikes, generally a spouse on a metric, and feel the new rule is
    too restrictive, they feel singled out.

Also mention that it is short sighted from a marketing perspective
    to limit the type of bike for "members" on rides, that in fact they should
    have an open ride twice a year for charity and invite non HD bikes to show
    the dealer welcomes others, and perhaps generate interest in the HD offerings

Let him know many are talking about either switching hog groups or dropping
    out completely, maybe mention it might seem a small and petty deal overall but
    to some folks it eliminates the riding time with a spouse completely and it's not
    going to make them buy a new HD just to stay in hog....
  10. FLHTbiker

Unfortunately not to many will stand up to the dealer and you ask why, to many are afraid of him and that he will ban them from coming to the dealership. He is a very black and white no in between guy. He has in the past given a lot for the chapter in money and support but that was under different chapter leadership. Might be that his empire has grown so big that he now simply does not care.

I guess I have been venting to much about this because it has effected so many of my friends. I know venting here does not help the chapter cause I know there lost. A person in the chapter said when she took over "It's the beginning of the end". Like I said when it is not fun anymore, time to go someplace else. :(
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

so he starts tossing people out,
    more will quit.

Just vote with your money and time
    and go to another.

It's good to get it out, but at some point
    ya gotta get over it and move on...
  12. FLHTbiker

Yep, several of us are moving on
  13. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Today I took a ride to my Chapter dealer and I asked what the likeliness of a "non harley" going along with on a Chapter event. I was told that the group in no way would mind, not even a HOG member either. Now that is way cool.:cool:
  14. FLHTbiker

That's the way it should be, it also helps encourage a non Harley rider to want to purchase a Harley. Telling someone your not welcome just slams the door in their face.
  15. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yes it does. It really adds to the stereotype that non Harley riders have of Harley riders.:banghead:
  16. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

It appears this dealer is not listening to his customers. Sadly, there are too many of these bone-heads out there. When they lose touch or do not care what customers are saying--it's time to go elsewhere.

All you can do is vote with your wallet and let him know why. But I would also send a message to the National Director of HOG: Kris Schoonover (Milwaukee). I guarantee you'll get a reply.