1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What new bike would you get

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, May 13, 2010.

1. freeride

freeride Member

My lottery winnings would allow me to purchase a new Fatbob, or a Roadking Classic, or a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 vertical twin, or a Triumph Rocket 3, or one of Mule's handbuilt XS650 trackers, or one of about 2 dozen other bikes. They say all you need is "a dollar and a dream". All I have, however, is a nickel and a nightmare.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Since I've never bought anything new,(even my ex wives were 2nd hand,lol) I don't think I'd get a "new"Harley(they seem to lack soul)...I would however find a '65 Electra Glide, an XR 750, an Evo FXR and a late model Evo Ultra or an early Twinkie Ultra.
    I did just purchase a '94 "New" Yorker if that counts as new... lol:devil:
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Attached Files:

4. Lucifer

Nice...I would buy a New XR1200 then and the V&H race kit.... now all I gotta do is win the lottery:D
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

You know I have never bought anything new either, and I am not sure that I would want to, well, maybe that new Mustang!!!:D:D:D For the most part, I like the bikes that have a story, a history if you will. New bikes just do not have that. And someone said it, the new Harley's just lack the soul right off of the floor.:banghead:
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i know where 65 electra glide is sitting......and would love a new owner!!!!!:)
  7. Lucifer

Yeah chuck me too, spotted that when I joined the forum....I'm only 6 numbers away from giving it a new home;):D
  8. JohnnyBiker

Since we are talking about things like this, yesterday after work, I brought my bike to the shop of where I got the engine work done so he could look at the final product. As we were both admiring, I glanced over and I saw a 56" Sportster sitting there, with a kick start, ape hangers, and huge headlight. I think that I fell in love with it right there and then. I may try to offload that bike from his hands. :cool:
  9. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

As in 1956? That would be a rare item, since the 1st year for the Sportster was 1957 !!! However, H-D did make the K model from 1952 to 1956 & it's very similar, the main difference being the heads - the K model used the side-valve heads from the 45" W model. 1956 model KHK pictured below.

Attached Files:

10. JohnnyBiker

You are correct, I thought it was a sporty when I looked at it. After I posted that I looked up and saw that it was a K model. I have been thinking about that bike often today
  11. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

The K model was the forerunner of the Sportster & the frame, unit engine / transmission design is pretty much the same. Be cool to have one, wouldn't it? What turned the K model into a Sportster was overhead valve cylinder heads & other parts made only for the Sportster, rather than the conglomeration of parts used to make the K model - it kinda "tested the waters" to see if people would be interested in a smaller, lighter, faster Harley.

They were rated @ 30 HP & had the shifter on the right, rear brake lever on the left like the British bikes (BSA, Triumph, etc.), but not so much to copy them, for "flat-track" racing on dirt oval tracks, where you're in a left turn most of the time & don't need the rear brake! The term "hot shoe" comes from the fact that racers put a metal plate on their left boot so they could put their left foot down in the corners!

Matter-of-fact, Sportsters didn't have the shifter on the left & rear brake pedal on the right until 1975 & then due to federal law - to make all bikes have the same basic controls. If you're used to one brand, you can hop on another & the controls are in the same place. But if you look @ an XR750 flat-tracker race bike today, it has the shifter on the right - and NO brakes!

Guess y'all kinda guessed I like Sportsters, 'eh? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  12. JohnnyBiker

Yes it would be cool to own one of those. Do you think that this would accept a newer evo or even a shovel? I look at this bike and I see potential written all over it. May, just maybe, I would leave this bike the way that it is and just clean everything up? :cool:
  13. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

No. Evo Sportster / Buell engine / trans, probably, Ironhead Sportster unit most likely, without major work for any XL setup. But 2 MAJOR differences between the K model / Sportster bikes & the "big twins" (BT's) are that Sportsters (K model, Buell too) have the engine & transmission in the same cases & the drive from the trans to the rear wheel is on the right side. BT's have a separate trans & the final drive is on the left. Yes, the basic 45ยบ V-Twin engine design is the same, but that's where the similarity ends.

And the XL engines (K models too) have 4 gear-driven cams, rather than 1 cam in older BT's or 2 in newer "Twinkies". Look @ the pushrod tubes on an XL (or K model) vs. any BT - the pushrods in 4-cam engines don't cross over, they're all in the same vertical plane - one cam, lifter & pushrod for each valve. Which is one reason why my 100" (1650 cc) Sportster engine will run 7200 rpm for miles & a BT will come apart trying to even get there, let alone hold it.

That's why, when I see something really cool like that 1956 KHK, I think I'd like to have 2 of those - one to restore to original showroom condition & the other to extensively modify !!!
  14. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

My wife might not agree but if the lottery was big enough I would own 1 of each!! You have to love Art's 1200 for balls to the wall ridin and a crossbone could be turned into a good little bar hopper but I would stick to my classic over an ultra just to much goin on for me! Price tag would still be near $40k:cool:
  15. JohnnyBiker

I really like the look of the crossbones, but I am not sure I turn that into a bar hopper since it is a softtail. Yesterday I had to run to St. Paul Harley, home of the MVP, and I saw a bike that I think that I would take over all of then. It was an 010 CVO Convertible! The paint that was awesome, had a nice fat rear tire, came with all quick release bags, fairing, and passenger seat. Also it was a 110' CI. 29k though. But really cool. :cool:
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Naw thought about it and if ya win the lottery standard bike stuff is gone
    ya gotta spent that money like you were gonna die the next day before your
    kids, wife (soon to be ex now that you are rich) and kinfolk are at the door

Ya need one of these

[YOUTUBE]oeNLMN_RqSI[/YOUTUBE]
  17. Stutz

Stutz New Member

Probably a new Street Glide.......
  18. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Sounds good to me, but I would not lower it. Softails do not handle as well as others the way it is. The night train is a sharp looking bike though!
  19. Panthera

Panthera New Member

If you buy a new one, you write the story!
  20. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Pretty dang cool, watched it on my new I Phone. Loved it when the chute came out to stop in time for the chic.