1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

What tire's

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Sep 7, 2007.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

we had a me880 on my son's 00 wide glide 95 in ,& it would stand up like a rocket & do a burnout ( made a small hole in the strand in Galveston at the love star rally ) he put a lot of hard miles on that tire & was still good when he sold the bike he said as soon as the avon's were out on his bike now he's going back to the metz, seem's almost every bode I know with avon's have to keep adding air to keep them up But they hold the road like the metz
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Avon’s…Venom front, radial rear. Man… I love that radial.
  3. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

I put a set of Dunlop Elite 3's on my 2003 FLHTCU. After 3000 miles with about 800 of that in the rain, I really like them. Much better than what came on the bike. I was getting 6-8K on those.
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Hey Chuck...if ya release that front brake when you crack the throttle wide open, you might get a few more miles outa that rear tire. :eek: I've seen those smoking videos you produce. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Anyway I think riding style has a little to do with it. I've been running the standard Dunlop since the bike was new and depending on how often the bike is loaded down for a trip, I get 10-12K on the rear and 18-20K on the front.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Seems that everyone has a preference for tires but for me I hate the ME88 Metz tire. I put one on my Ultra and at about 5000 miles going down 101 in Calif. the rear tire came apart and shredded leaving me stranded on a Sunday on Memorial weekend.
    I've had the Venom's on a previous bikes (Valk Interstate) but the tread kept splitting so I've never ran them again.
    I run the Dunlop's and put a set of the Elite 3's on my last bike and they seemed to hold up very well. For my SE Ultra they are not yet available do to the tire size being different.
  6. tramp333

tramp333 New Member

Have to agree with the Avon Venom X fan's on this one. My 96 FXDL came with the Dunlop's when I bought it new from the dealership and although I got good mileage out of them I sure didn't like the way they handled. Sliped and slid my way all thoughout there 10k or so that they lasted and was much happier with the Avon's I replaced them with.
  7. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

tire mileage

i run the dunlop d401 tires on my 03 fxdx. will corner well enough to scare me. wet or dry. can run them 15,000 or more but they get pretty thin. usually change them around 12,000.