1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Whats the coldest weather you'll ride in?

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by ironhorse, Jan 14, 2007.

1. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

what is the coldest you will ride?
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

So far the lowest I have ridden was 10 degrees. I ride my bike rain or shine cold or hot. Need to cause my wife uses the Jeep for work. Right now though I am replacing freeze plugs since one of them popped. Cheap crap materials. The replacements are a hell of alot better. :)
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

so far, coldest I have ridden the HD is 28.... 31 and raining/freezing in SA, TX. When I was REALLY young and dumb, was in the mid 20's and snowing....when I left my start point was less then 1 inch on the ground...when I got to my destination 30 miles north, was 5-6 inches....saw 8 cars in the ditch, and took me 2+ hours.....mostly 1st and second gear, on the gravel shoulder, on a crotch rocket!!!
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

back when i was young and not quite as seasoned.....while in the military, all i had was my bike...49 pan. rode in rain,snow, ice, heat, cold.....now days i dont even like leaving in the rain....would rather wait it out.....if i can. i will ride in the rain and such....just dont like leaving in it......
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

As with many of you, when I was younger I'd ride in much harsher weather than I do now. While I may live in sunny California where we don't get the bitter cold and snow like some of you, we do get some serious rain and area flooding which means riding through axle-deep intersections. So far we haven't had one of those winters this year, just been windy. Another thing about L.A. is the drivers here become complete a-holes the minute it rains. After losing a friend to one of those rainy day idiots, I've opted to avoid commuting on the freeways when it rains, partially as a promise to my g/f and kids. Some things are just worth sticking around for :D
  6. SK

SK New Member

Not sure of the temps..most likely teens, but I've ridden in several snow storms in the Colorado Rockies..IN JUNE! Most snow I've encountered was leaving Colorado Springs in a driving rain headed to Cripple Creek. Turned to snow halfway up the mountain and was riding in the tracks of the car in front of me with 6" on the ground by that point. Had to drag my feet like pontoons crossing an intersection in front of the hotel. Snowed like crazy the next morning riding all the way up to Estes Park north of Denver. Sometimes you just don't have a choice but to ride.

First real encounter with snow was meeting up with some internet biker friends on the east side of Independence Pass (12,095'). After some riding we got to Twin Lakes and saw the white out looking up the mountain. My friends said "no way..we're turning around and heading back to Denver". My buddy John and me said we have to get to Snowmass for our final night banquet of the Colorado 500 Road Ride and would miss it if we headed for I70 and around to Glenwood Springs. So off John and I go up the mountain..windshields snow covered within the first mile. John had to stop and some lady gave him some plastic bags to put over his gloves because his fingers were getting so cold. Some how we made it over the pass..3 miles past it turns to blue skies and it's gorgeous all the way into Aspen and subsequently Snowmass in plenty of time for the banquet.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Moving this to another forum

Great stories and shared experiences! Since this topic has become more about ride experiences it's been moved to the Trips n' Trails forum.

Keep em' coming!

PS... polls can now be posted anywhere in any forum, so the "Polling Place" will eventually get merged.
  8. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

well I may be crazy but I ain't dumb so I loaded up the scoot and headed to SLO and all be danged if it ain't 20 flippen degrees, 30 deg warmer than the house but hardly classified as a pleasure ride. hopen it warms up here shortly

by the way mr. Kenfusd where at in la do ya hang yer hat?
  9. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

WHen I was in the Navy stationed in San Diego I decided I wanted to ride home (AZ) one weekend. I bailed out of SD about 5 in the evening as soon as they got the boat tied up and rolled up thru El Cajon into the mountains on I-8. About the time I got to the top of the pass and got passed the rest area it started to snow. By the time I'd gone anothe 3 or 4 miles it was white out and nearly as deep as my axels. I pulled off the side of the road got every piece of clothing I had in my sea bag and put them on. Stuffed my rolled up socks under my full face to keep the wind out

About 30 minutes after I pulled over a snow plow came along. The driver stopped and asked me if I was OK? Gave me a cup of coffe and said he'd call the CHP to come get me. I told him the hell with that just get the plow low and I'd follow him down the mountain towards El Centro. I know the guy thought I was nuts but I wasn't leaving my FXRT on the side of the road, on top of that I wanted to be in AZ where I knew it would be warmer.

I'm not sure how cold it was. My moustache was frozen when I stopped for gas in Yuma and Gila Bend. I spent most of the trip laying on the tank hugging the jugs for warmth. I think it was easter of 85 but I'm not sure.

Sure taught me to see what the weather man has to say first.
  10. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Won't Break Her Out Until 40, For Morining Rides To Work. That Means Around April For Me. Ending In October. On The Weekends I Can Sneak In A Afternoon Ride. The Seasons Make The Ride More Enjoyable, Something To Look Forward To Instead Of A Everyday Thing.
  11. SK

SK New Member

Dang..and Yuma can be the warmest place in the US at times.
  12. BigJfxdwg

BigJfxdwg New Member

Will Ride in??

5 below with flurries is the coldest I have had the pleasure of riding in. Not uncommon to ride in the mid 20's in fall and spring, As long as the roads aren't all full of the salt and sand that the MN DOT loves so much.
  13. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

I don't mind the ride days in the 40's, but any precip on the ground and I keep myself at home or in the cage. Mainly because of the other "operators" sharing the road. Hard enough to get them to notice you in fair weather!
  14. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

No good stories here about riding with frozen anything.......the coldest it's been while riding is about 35-40 maybe. I'm a puss, not into freezing my balls off to get in a ride. In the winters you can find me in my shop working, staying warm. (I didn't build myself a 2000 sq ft workshop to not use it :D )
  15. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Was putt’en around last night,,, got home and turned on the weather channel,
    37 degrees. :biker:
  16. fireitup

fireitup New Member

freezing ones ass off

The coldest weatheri have ridden in is five degrees. It was two and from work. And i went to Jersey once on the thruway it was in the month of January it was 17 degrees. A truck driver passed me just south of the New Baltimore rest station rolled his window down yelled at me to pull over so i did. He put my bike in his trailer and i got into the cab and had a nice warm ride to New Jersey. Wasnt that nice. It was sooooo cold. fireitup
  17. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

well as I said I loaded up my bike and headed to san luis obispo:) , been a little busy but getting in some good coastal riding:D . flew my better half out and we put on about 200 one afternoon just checking out the coast she really enjoyed the ride as did I hope to get somemore in before I load it back up:( .
  18. fireitup

fireitup New Member

warm riding

that ride sounds really wonderful. lucky wife.
  19. fireitup

fireitup New Member

putt'en too

went for a ride last night too. it was cold. i need better gloves.
  20. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

What's the temp there right now fire?