1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Whats the coldest weather you'll ride in?

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by ironhorse, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Coldest I will knowingly ride is now 10F. At 9 a few years back I got some frostbite and it also was hard on the bike - never got off choke. Fouled the plugs and had to get a new pair to make it back.
  2. fittykick

fittykick New Member

Now that I have the Electraglide I'll ride in just about anything. When I had my Softtail I took off when it was about 3 or 4 degrees, but not long into the ride I stopped for a red light and when I let the clutch out nothing happened. It was so cold it took about 30 seconds before the bike started rolling forward and up to speed. After that it was no more pulling in the clutch...blew all the stop signs and a couple of (red-ish) yellow lights to get home. A nice hot shower and a wife yelling at me for being a fool...no frostbite though.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have one of those wives also........:rolleyes:
  4. dwmoorhouse

dwmoorhouse New Member

dead efing cold

road to work when it was 27degrees...I figure thats about 10below at 75mph!?....:rocket_bike:
  5. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    yesterday <brrrrrr.....>

Well apparently I have not progressed out of the "young and dumb" catagory....well at least the dumb part. I have been working up here in DC/Va area and since yesterday I was off and I haven't ridden in a spell I cranked up and headed up to Fredrick, MD to meet Nick and Dale at a bar. I had on a snowmobile overall thingee and everything else I could find. It was ....invigorating. The temp was about 20 with the wind chill making it 7. (that's before you add the 70MPH wind chill, LMAO). I made it up and back. And now I can say I did that.....but unless it's an emergency and I can't beg borrow or steal a cage....I won't be doing it again.
    Course with maybe 50 riders in the bar I was the only one on two wheels so there was braggin rights. Maybe I will thaw out by Spring....

Ride Free......
  6. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

GrayBear, Sounds like you may have created quite a "stir" with the local bikers that WERN"T on bikes..... THAT would have been fun to see!!! :roflmao: :cheers:
  7. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Causing a stir.....

Yeah it did, but was hard to laugh when your shivering so bad.....<BWG> I did hear from Nick though he said the next day folks were asking him about that "crazy south Lousiana boy that was riding in this deep freeze"....and he said the next day there were 6 bikes out front at lunch.

Ride Free...
  8. chucktx

aint nothin like starting a trend!!!!!!!!!!! good on ya!!!:cheers:
  9. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Coldest I've rode was about mid 20's.....that was without a windshield or chaps too.... I now have a windshield & workin on getting chaps. Right now its about 13 degrees outside my humble abode...It doesn't really give me the urge to run out & fire up the Dyna...Besides after a winter being caged up, by spring I'm ready to ride it daily...
  10. chucktx

a tip...if ya dont have chaps or a decent leather...stuff newspaper down you pants legs and inside your coat...it is a great windbreak and keeps ya warm...
  11. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Stuff newspaper down my pants ?? I was always told to use a rolled up sock !!
  12. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I've got a decent leather jacket & gloves....never had to suff the jeans though :D
  13. chucktx

if ya keep the cold out of the pants, ya dont need a rolled up sock!!:D
  14. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

I don't mind the cold as much as rain, but any lower than about 30 is too cold. I think of the cage drivers freaking out or slip sliding on the black ice more than anything. It doesn't freezing rain or snow much here so they don't know what to do when it does! Can't do a thing on ice.

PA native, I don't mind the snow. :)

Joe
  15. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I got stuck in both a little while ago....started to get cold & then rained....the cagers look at me like Im nutz !!
  16. chucktx

and your point is??????:roflmao: :cheers:
  17. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

That they are prpbably right