1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wheel Bearing Replacement

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Marc1340, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Ok so Last Sunday was the end of the week of riding, put on about 600 miles for the week, not to bad for a 45 mile long island. On our last stop for a coffee I was backing up to park the bike and with the engine not running I heard a loud clicking coming from the front wheel and thought I might have a louse brake pad, after limping her home pulled the calipers and spun the wheel and the noise was still there. Just prior to moving to the Azores I had the bearing replaced while having the front tire replaced, I had 46000 miles on the original, this time I had put on about 14000 miles on the front tire in the past 18 months. sure enough the right side bearing was rather cooked, plenty of grease but it wobbled a bit side to side in the center. I worked with someone using a bunch of different pullers to pull the race and to no luck did not budge. Brought it to a small garage here and he welded a bolt across the race and with a brass rod and small hammer out it came with ease. My question is 14,000 miles the norm on wheel bearings or did harley OEM junk?
    IMG_1852.JPG
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Usually with the tapered wheel bearings it's just repack with every tire change. Timken or now Koyo are good bearings but should be replaced in sets when changed(bearing & race)both sides. Never put a new bearing in a used race. I'm thinking you just got a dud or installation wasn't done quite right.
    Running a bead of weld around the race will make it practically fall out,the guy didn't need to weld the bolt in,but it does the job too;). If end play wasn't properly set,that could contribute to the premature failure,lotsa YouTube videos on how to set end play.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I think you can get rid of the tapered bearing and go with sealed
    bearings
  4. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

HRK I had heard that I can replace them with sealed bearings, any idea of a part number,it might have to be aftermarket here but I can compare. The Sealed ones are a bit easy and cleaner set-up. Although I already ordered the tapered ones with seals should be here in about a week. but for the next replace I should order the sealed ones. 1996 Road King OEM cast spoke wheel.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't but CA Phil would