1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Which Arlen Ness Big Sucker kit?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Jan 24, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Looking at chucks avatar, I know where I can get the pink material from.....do yo u reckon you can get her to deliver it to me?
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I have a good 1/2 inch showing on my filter, rain doesn't seem to bother it at all.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I ran the 124 with a full open filter and nothing but the screw on center plate from the cover that covered the front of the filter...

Only had one issue in a torrential downpour ie cow pissiin on a flat rock rain in FL..

I would look to get a cheap replacement take off evo round cover on ebay
    paint it black or whatever color, leave chrome...

Here is one for $10 US plus shipping

EVO Cover on Ebay
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

nessecity is the the mother of invention - chuck ! - ya make do with what ya have.
  5. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

If it were just me ridin the thing, it would not be a problem...just see what happens...make do etc...

but when the gf is on the back, the airfiter is soaked, the bike has died and you are in the middle of nowhere on the backroads of Brittany and you gotta push the bike thru the rain for miles to find a pub or farm house that 'may' help you out, then I am for getting the filter fully covered from the rain before I set out. Two or three days of solid rain/drizzle/thunderstorms is not fun at the best of times, pushing the bloody bike because the airfilter is waterlogged, because I did not do a proper job to start with, does not even bear thinking about.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow, broke down on the side of the road with a aussie babe!!!!! dont think it could get much better than that!!!!!!!!!:);)
  7. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Well that does sound better, especially if it is a warm tropical type of rain....not the bone chiling rain we get here
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I hear ya about the bone chillin rain...I'm at about the same latitude as you just opposite side of the pond. I've run an open filter and the bike sputtered a bit in heavy rain and ran with a cover that exposed about 1/2" of the filter....had no problems....with just a 1/2" exposed it would have to be such a torrential downpour that just riding would be difficult.
    Try it out with your sporty cover and adapter before you take the g/f and if you have any problems put the round Evo cover on when she's with you.
  9. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I found another solution...went totally back to stock today, took out the V-Ductor, CVP emulsion tube, jet, slide needle, spring and EZ-Just.

Put all stock components back turned the old mixture screw out 1 1/4 turns same as it was at the start, and the bike runs great again. Starts easy, no backfiring through the carb on decel, it is just great now. The only bit I left on that was not original is the allen screw kit that hold s the float bowl on, and the brass fuel union/elbow, that actually does not look any bigger bore than the original brass one that I removed

Think I will leave it like that and put all these go faster gimmicks on e-bay
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  10. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

OK, so what happens to an exposed filter that is sitting in the rain for a few days...or even a few hours. While riding the bike a bit of water may get in and it may splutter a bit....but what if the bike is sitting out in the rain for an hour or two or longer ...while at work...8 -10 hours or more...maybe a few days.
    Those grooves are going to fill with water and surely it is going to make its wat through the carb and in to the in let manifold...perhaps down an open inlet valve...Water in the bore...hydraulic lock when you try and turn it over perhaps....that is before i even think about corression caused by water sitting in there for any length of time.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well that would be a lot of water.

However you can get a sock that covers them
    if you know it's going to be a rainy day.

I"ve left my 124 out in some downpours
    and it's never hydro locked....
  12. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

A sheet of plastic to cover the air filter and the seat when yer working will do wonders for your ride home.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ziplock bags and rubber bands come to mind..............