1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Which cam (tc 88)

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by flip 57, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Smarty

Smarty New Member

If you do your homework, dyno'd numbers don't lie. Find the cam that puts the torque where you need it. Then you will have that seat of the pants feel you are looking for!
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Maybe prodrag1320 could answer that question OR you could ask Bean why he doesn't want early high mileage heads and Dewey why they're OK with him....
    Have you checked out prodrag1320's head packages??
    Cylinder Head Porting - Services - VEE-TWIN Performance Center
    Like Smarty said..."Do your homework"...that would include asking the porters questions you're considering do the work for you...
  3. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

the reason "bean" dosnt want your early heads is probebly because of the smaller ex ports and they take alot more work & knowledge to port correctly (starting with later heads is alot easier for guys who dont really reconture & properly port heads,but just smooth out casting flashes & stuff like this "bean" guy dose,we`ve had enuogh riders send us his stuff for us to see if we can get some air thru them as the riders are getting barley more power than before the porting was done)dont care if you use us,dewey or alot of other good porters out there,but steer clear of bigboyz crap
  4. flip 57

flip 57 New Member

Thanks for the info, prodrag 1320. So your saying that eventhough that I had a high mileage on my cylinder head asy (89562), it still is possible to be PORTED AND HONED TO 95". No loss of power on it? Will install SE Flat Top Pistons, 37n or TW6 cams on it with the SE upgrade plate and adjustable push rods...What lifter should I go with this?
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Stock ratio for the rockers. What is the real need to go to a higher ratio??
  6. prodrag1320

sure they can,thats the only reason I can think of why he wont do early ,high milage heads (or he thinks the guides may need replacing and he dosnt have equipment to replace guides)I do know one thing,he`s got a nice website,but his headwork is very amaturish.as far as boring high milage cylinders,theres no reason at all they cant be used for 95" conversions
  7. Lucifer

Stock lifters are are fine....
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Se,bob woods directional,fueling
    And I hope you upgrade your oil pump to new style
  9. Lucifer

If you have deep pockets like CB,they're nice but not necessary...stock are fine....

#1 on his list CB.....

10. cardboard

It ain't about me or Deep pockets. Do it right or leave it alone.
    YOu know when you build a 95" kit you are goin to be twistin the throttle and hammering it. If you are not going to do it 1st class.
    Then when you do it the 2nd time you can spend the money then
    You don't try to cheat on builds and try to git by. Ever seen the rollers on Lifters come apart and trash the motor.

When I had a Locksmith business I didn't go to a Business or Home to say well this is only for the honest person. A burglar can get in.
    I would try to do it so if somebody tried to break in they would really have to work at it and it would buy you time. I took at my Expense and put 4" deck screws in strike plates in case somebody wanted to try to kick them open.
    I always tried to sell Double Cylinder Lori Deadbolts instead of single cylinder.
    Tried to get the customers to upgrade their strike plates and screw the windows shut. If they didn't want to pay me to screw the windows shut I would show them how they could do it.
    Seen many places that somebody broke glass and climbed in , cut themselves up, drug stuff over to the back door and couldn't get the door open
    Anything worth doing is worth spending a little extra money and doing it right. Screw just trying to get by. Make the Build as dependable & Bullet proof as possible. :rant:
  11. Lucifer

:roflmao:So if he uses stock lifters in a fairly mild 95" build they are guaranteed to fail:confused: C'mon man:rolleyes:
  12. cardboard

Don't think I said anywhere that anything will fail. And I ain't said that the best comes with a guarantee.
    But I do believe especially when doing things today to do it the best you can do it to help insure liability.
    Every seen a Nascar person build a engine. Think they will use a stock part just cause it may git by.
    They do it to the very best of their ability.
    But if my way is different than yours by means spending more money then dig holes in the way I would do it.
    When the hines team or anybody else builds a HD engine to race. think they use STock lifters or parts ?
    Heck No.
    When building a air cooled engine why not do the same thing.
    We are probably gonna be turnin the engine to more rpms than we would normally turn it to. That's why we are lookin for more power.
    So why not put a little better parts in.
    Face it Harley Engines were'nt build to race from the factory. They Sux
    So if you go into a engine put dang good parts in it.
    Watched builders put engines together and listened to them talk.
    Know some that you will sign a paper when they do a build it you want to do it any other way than what they suggest.
    If the build comes apart , you choose to git involved and you know more than they do, and we put the parts in that you liked better.
    YOu got it build your way. Cause you did your homework and know more then them.
    Know one that will tell you in a heart beat to go somewhere else.

Seen builders shutup fast and let you take over. The 2nd time around you might ask their opinion and listen to them and learn.
    I personally don't care how you build it. But when asked, I'm only going to say build it 1st Class or leave it alone.
    Its a easy deceision.
    If its about Money either buy parts till you have them all together orleave it stock or sell it and git a newer bike.
  13. Lucifer

JMHO If you're using stock valve springs,stock lifters are fine,if you use higher pressure springs then,yes use stronger lifters....
  14. prodrag1320

stock lifters will be just fine,NO reason what so ever for woods lifters.if useing high lift/high spring pressure,install S&S travel limiters in the stock units
  15. flip 57

flip 57 New Member

In the process of taking out the clynder assy.
  16. flip 57

flip 57 New Member

hi guys, just finished taking apart the cylinder head assembly. Will send it out for port and polish. Do I need to send it out with the valve spring on. Or any parts do I need to give??
  17. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

dont take them apart ! let the cylinder head man do it , he will check stem height and installed height of each head when he takes them apart . for refrence . so to set them the same when it goes back together. after he adjust for spring pressures. clean them with soap and water blow them off with air wd the heads bag them and box them up with lots of bubble wrap. and ship them to kirby!!!!!/ vee twin performance .
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  18. cardboard

Don't sound like Flip should be workin on his own engine
    He needs more homework
  19. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

its just more work for the machinest . when thats done. early model heads have a stem height of around .two inches . and a spring installed height of 1.850 so its easy to check ahead of time when you take them apart . to see were they were at to begin with . that way the same intake and exhaust valve go in the same head . not that you cant machine the seats and then correct the work afterwords its just easy to do when you put the valves in the same head you took apart . unless he is going to bigger valves then it dont matter much if he took them apart .