1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Which is Better? Old or New?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 18, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Was in conversation with a guy at work about engines telling him about my project that I am starting. We finished our conversation then a little later he comes back and says that it would be better to use old cases over new ones.

Do you agree with that? I will get into more of the conversation after there are a few replies.

I need some popcorn. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  2. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

I'd stick with old cases during any engine rebuild.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Can you offer specific reasons as to why?

4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

guess that would depend on how deep the pockets are for the build , the old cases are good to use if you have the double checked for were & cracks & clear numbers & paper work , new are good as well & should come with paper work ,But in some states you can only build one unless your a dealer or along those lines
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  5. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

I had to rebuild my thousand CC Iron-head after the generator gear nut fell off and vibrated into them lifter gears. It got crunched and pumped into the engine. I sure couldn't afford any new cases. Just got them bored and some larger pistons. That way both heads and the oil lines fit just like they were supposed to. No the engine is a little bit larger than it was but all the old stuff works fine.
    I just don't trust a lot of the new parts available.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Ok. So you are coming from the side of that old is better due to part fitment? But if you were able afford new cases, would you have gone that way?

7. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I had never thought about the VIN number issue until BP brought up the importance of paperwork, ie. you build a motor with cases you bought, guy shows up with law saying his stolen motor as he has paperwork. I guess research into strongest metallurgy of all cases and pick the best for you.
    I liked the option already mentioned (HRK?) of complete R engine from H-D best so far, less hassle and instant gratification.
  8. JohnnyBiker

:cool::cool:
    My question isn't based off of my project in the sense to try and convince me to change my strategy. This is just a simple straight forward question. Getting into metallurgy for this is irrelevant as none of us really knows.

The question is this. If you had a choice between New or Old cases, which way would you go? Take expense, and possible dickheads out of the equation and decide new or old.

9. Roadster guy

New. No chance of metal fatigue from misuse of previous owner.
  10. JohnnyBiker

OK, would you choose the same even for a MONSTER build? By MONSTER I am talking about a bike engine that puts out close to 135 horsepower and 135 ft. lbs. of torque.
  11. Roadster guy

That is where the research on the cases would come into play. If you can find out which have the best blend of tensile strength and least change to thermal expansion vs. money spent you will be all set. And judging by your prevoius thread on your previous engine and the steps you took I am sure you will make the right choices. Do any of the aftermarket cases have a network of webbing inside for rigidity?
    Me, I'm lazy and like things done fast. I'd likely "find" some money the wife does not know about and get the "R" motor, and tell her it cost half what it did.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Ok, let me put it this way. Would you trust a brand spanking new case from a reputable manufacturer over a used case of any kind? Take all other things out of the equation and ask if you would go with new or old?
  13. Roadster guy

I'll refer you to post #11 on what works for me. For you, if after you did a week of research on the improvements in aftermarket case design to correct any flaws or weaknesses in the original H-D designs, and you find you are comfortable putting a 135/135 engine together with cases you have on hand, build it up. I have never done what you are about to attempt, BP has. What would he do? I guess stay away from the S-E stuff, apparently..LOL! Either way, Good Luck! P.S. I expect a similar thread as you had done before, that was neat every step of the way.
  14. JohnnyBiker

Ok, here is why I am asking and you seem to be more on my side of thinking either way.

I would much rather use brand new cases as I am worried about the abuse that any used case has been through. With any real high performance build, especially one that is being done the way that I am choosing to do it (from the absolute ground up), I have the piece of mind that those cases weren't abused. Nobody else has manipulated those cases in any way.

His argument was predicated on the old days that a "seasoned" block was better due to that the engine was in a way stressed relieved through use. I don't buy that. The reason why I don't is because if that were the case, then why is it that people take the time to shot peen blocks and torque plate cylinders? That is what those processes do. (Relieve stress). He was talking mainly about car engine blocks vs. bike cases or blocks but still all the same concept in this example. Especially now a days when there are companies that take a design and make it better by improving on OEM designs. In my projects desired outcome, I need something that is stronger and if I can, something that is less of PITA to work with. Great example of this are the differences of the S&S case vs. the factory SE cases. I am told that S&S relocted or sunk the center bolt for additional clearance for larger strokes. Hmmmm, I am going to a 4.5" stroke, seems necessary to me. Taking metal out of anything that has a high stress factor the way it is, doesn't make it stronger! Period! It just makes it easier to work with.

P.S. Yes, when the time comes to put the thing together there will be another thread "Coming Soon" as that is the thread that I will post in telling about parts that I am looking at buying or have purchased for my build. Thanks for the compliment about the quality of my other build thread, it was a lot of work but very fun to do.
  15. Roadster guy

So by your co-workers logic if I go ride the piss out of my bike, maybe neglect it a bit on maintenance, it will actually get stronger? I'm not training a pit bull for dogfights, I'm building a bike. I would get the parts you need for the most peace of mind. And likely sit at another table at the cafeteria at work.;)
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

No stock HD cases new or older will be as robust as a set of sns cases made for a stroker build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  17. JohnnyBiker

I got to the point with this guy that I asked him if he was a pro builder? He replied no. End of story. I am not claiming to be a pro builder in any way but I do, (even though it may not seem like it) listen to those who have done it. I may get there in a different way, sometimes better and sometimes not, but in the end the results are the same.

18. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

If you're building a performance motor from scratch,go with a new set of S&S cases...High Performance is what they do...they build their parts to make and handle monster torque n high horsepower big inch motors...
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Yep. It took me a little bit to get off the SE case kick that is for sure.

20. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Glad you're over it...lol...JB, if you were building up your motor in the RG to 103 or 106" your '02 bottom end would be good for that...better than my '03 bottom....If you're going bigger than that...well, you know;)