1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

WhipLash Doesn't want to Start

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 24, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Went to fire up WhipLash and all it does is click. I am going to go get a volt meter and test the battery. :banghead::gah:
  2. JohnnyBiker

Ok, tested the battery and the volts were at 11.5 DC. I am going to put a battery charger on it and go from there. :D
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Should have put a battery charger on old whiplash to start with. How old is the battery? A battery tender is also a good idea when you let em sit to long. :D
  4. JohnnyBiker

Same battery from when I bought it. Not really sure on the age. I have never had a tender on it as it has always fired right up, except for this time. (Even through a -40* winter).
  5. FLHTbiker

Cold weather is very hard on batteries and can weaken them. I keep a tender on all our bikes when not using. I'm going to have to purchase another HD battery (they are the best) for my Springer as even with a tender on it its turning over slower. The battery is probably 5-6 years old now.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Don't batteries need to something hooked up to the battery in order to have a battery tender on it?

I am going to charge it up then when it is charged, I am going to take another reading to see if it holds a charge. Then see if will start, if starts then check voltage again to see if it charging like it is supposed to. I hope that it isn't the charging system. :(
  7. FLHTbiker

What??? :confused:
  8. JohnnyBiker

When I was at the dealership yesterday with my buddy, I had heard the salesman say something that the bike was outfitted to accept a battery tender?? I didn't hear the whole conversation but that is what I heard. So I just assumed that this had to be done.
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

yes there are leads you can attach to the battery to plug in a tender, they usually come with a good tender. You can also plug in your heated gear to the same plug or any other accessory that you want to run.
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

batteries can test good on a volt meter and still be bad, had this experience last year with my bike. rode to the gas station shut bike off, gas pump wouldn't work started bike moved to a different pump, filled up, turned key on nothing, hauled bike home tested battery tested to 12.5 but wouldn't even click the starter, took battery out of other bike and installed it, bike fired right up. yep it was a bad battery, and it was only 6 years old..
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a volt meter will not tell you the condition it is in, it will only tell you voltage. a load tester is the only way to tell. if you dont own one....cheap at harbor freight....they will do it for free at most auto stores........
  12. JohnnyBiker

Cool, thanks for the information. I will have to check into that. I am going to set a charger on it then I am going to fire it up and check to see if it at least is charging when it is running. I would really hate for it to be the charging system going bad. :(
  13. FLHTbiker

Sounds like it is a battery
  14. JohnnyBiker

I am sure it is, just want to be thorough.
  15. JohnnyBiker

I have the battery charged and I took a reading before I fired WhipLash up. Meter read 12.75. Fired her up and tested and it stayed there. Rolled on throttle and volts ran up to a little over 14. Charging system is working. :D Now I am going to let WhipLash sit for a couple of days and take more readings and see if if all is good.

I agree with all of you, I think that it is just a weak battery.. :cool:
  16. JohnnyBiker

Went to check the battery voltage on my scooter and the voltage still showed 12.85 volts DC. So what do you think, go to the next step and load test it or check regulator?
  17. FLHTbiker

Do the load test first, one step at a time. :D
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

19. FLHTbiker

20. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member