1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Why does HD drag their feet

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jun 2, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I have more than 1 Harley Shop that when they order something it comes pretty fast. if its a special order from HD in Wisconson that may be another deal. :banghead:
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That's bs, they should know when the parts arriving if it's an HD part.

In the future order your parts directly from Jenny at Tri-County Harley in
    Fairfield OH

20% off HD parts everyday, no tax, fair shipping
    20% to 25% off on aftermarket, everyday, no tax, fair shipping

Very good reputation, she's been selling on the net for years, moved from Charlies HD in WV to OH. She manages the dealer.

Get a parts manual for your bike, that way if you need a stock part, email or call her, or if you have the drag or custom chrome PN same thing.

Way cheaper than JP or local dealers.

Can you get your bike back and your money?

I'd be raising a stink, it's your riding time in a short season and they have the bike for two weeks :fight: :gah: :cussing:
  3. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Those stock ignition modules are a common item to fail, at least they were on the older models. I am a bit surprised they didn't have one in stock.

However, I have found at my local dealer that it depends on the part you buy. If it is a Harley, Screamin Eagle or even Drag Specialties part it seems they can get them within several days. If it is any other brand or vendor, like Custom Chrome or Khrome Werks, it seems to take longer for some reason.

I still like to give the business to the Indy shops whenever I can though. They are typically more knowledgeable since the guy you talk to is also the wrench and able to give advice on installation if you are doing it yourself. One of the local guys in my town even offers night time classes to teach people how to work on their own bikes.
  4. cardboard

Ain't the Harley Dealerships a small place to do business with ?
    WTF, wouldn't you think a multi million dollar dealership that has computers and folks runnin them would keep something in stock, Some of the dealerships I to to most of the things I need they say, Oh we will have to order that, would you like to pay for it and we can order it. :wtf:
  5. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

most of the time it's only consumable items they keep on hand, same with the indy shops, they do the same thing you can do your self, flop open a catalog and say we can get it here in a couple days, so now your paying the shops cost for ordering your part. same goes for a genuene hd part vs. aftermarket, why is the hd part so much more special, 30 percent mark up for a name. this is one reason with the indy shop and the stealership, that when you venture off and try to save a buck by cutting out the middle man, they often come up with the excuse of, you didn't buy it from us so we won't install it. kinda like they try to do with tires. Personally I don't like going to either place, except when I have to, seems the stealership is always booked 2-3 weeks out, and the indy shop thinks they have enough business, and they all act like they got the big corn cob up the butt.
  6. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I agree with you Sportsterboy for the most part. Now that Direct Parts is closed though, I have noticed that the Indy shop I deal with can get the part for about the same cost as if I were to order it myself since they get a dealer discount and save on shipping as well. So they make their money that way.
  7. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I agree that HD makes more on after market upgrades than on the original bikes. Unfortunately, they also try to screw you with the aftermarket stuff. I have a '95 sporty and found a sissy bar and pad with removeable mounting plates on E-bay, and ordered the turn signal relocation and docking hardware kit to install it. I discovered, though, that I could not relocate the turn signals with this kit without some parts that are sold with the saddlebags! I will be damned if I spend $500 on a set of saddlebags just because they have the HD logo, and I am pissed that a turn signal relocation kit does not contain all the items needed to relocate the turn signal. This is their way of trying to lock up the aftermarket, since other saddlebags will sit too far forward for the passenger unless the turn signals are relocated. Since this has been a problem for years, why not just design the bike with the turn signals further back to begin with?! Why, because then you cannot sell turn signal relocation kits that do not work properly without also buying their saddlebags!

I like the bike, but am very irritated with HD aftermarket marketing. My apologies for venting. Any suggestions for the turn signals would be nice.
  8. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Look to the aftermarket & get free catalogs from places like J&P Cycles, Dennis Kirk & V-Twin. Also ask other area riders which independent shops they go to. I've got a '95 Sportster too, the previous owner put the turn signal relocation kits on front/rear & I don't know where he got 'em, but it didn't require buying anything else. I got another set for the '00 bike from a friend on the Sportster List The Sportster Home Page although I don't know where those came from either.

You do NOT need to go to a H-D dealer to get such things & the ONLY time I go to one is when I need a part right away that they have in stock. Sportsters are the easiest bikes in the world to customize & parts are readily available from numerous sources. For example, I've got heads & cams from HeadQuarters & Zippers, pistons from JE & KB, Metzeler tires, SBS brake pads, Corbin seats, etc. & none of those parts came from a H-D dealer.

One indy shop I deal with is owned by a guy who started out being a H-D dealership mechanic 40 years ago, is also a mechanical engineer & there's even a local fabrication shop that makes custom parts to order. Those guys charge less than a H-D dealership ($50/hour + materials) & the H-D guy has been buying parts for so long he's considered a dealer by several manufacturers - he pays wholesale prices & passes the savings on to you.

There are shops like that all over the country, but as I've said before, a lot of 'em don't advertise 'cause they don't need to. Just ask the rider you see @ the grocery store, gas station, etc. where they go & you'll find a good local shop. And if you get the catalogs, you'll know what you're looking for & what the price range is.
  9. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Well, my dealership's service guys did try their best to remedy a bad situation. They only charged me 1/2 hours labor for the ignition module and gave me a deduction in the part price. The mechanic also added a new "5 Speed" piece for free ( don't remember the old on being scratched or damaged though). Gotta run now, my wife's going into surgery later today for a badly broken arm.
  10. srmcc

srmcc New Member

harley died in 1969
  11. cardboard

Harley has gotten a lot better since 1969, the rubber mounted motor they have is one of the greatest things they have did.
  12. steveb

steveb Active Member

Some of you need to visit a Honda dealer if you think HD dealers are bad. before I got the '08 Ultra I checked out the competition. The first thing that got my blood pressure up was walking around the show room for 20 minutes and not one person asked if I needed help. They were all to busy sitting by the parts counter talking. When some one finally came over I found out that a new Gold Wing is just about $20,000. So that ended my shopping right there. My wife was looking at helmets and had a question so she went over to the parts counter to ask her question abou the helmet and the answer she got was " its a helmet you put it on your head and buckle the strap what else do you need to know" left there and I have never been back. For me it makes HD dealers look pretty good. I know that I a m fortunate to live close to and work with a pretty good dealer. from the beginning when I bought my first bike from them they have always went the extra mile to satisfy their customers. They know that service after the sale is what brings customers back for the next sale.
  13. hotroadking

I agree HD never died, it survived,

When HD goes from air cooled to water cooled we'll get another round of people bytching about the change, never ride one, never own one,

But if you get their butts on one they love them.

Twin cams are great motors, 6 speeds, easy start EFI, 6 gallon gas tanks, brakes that work (brembos) leak free primary covers LOL 100K motors easy.
    as long as you leave them alone

I doubt you need to buy the bags to get what you need, most things have parts sheets that list the individual parts and you can order the piece you need, or, have a shop make up whatever it is you need, or make it yourself.
  14. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I dunno...I had a Susucki Marauder... liquid cooled, chain drive....I didnt like it much....I always wanted a Harley...I used to call it my "Hardly a Davidson" If air cooled is so bad why are the new yamaha V-Star's air cooled ?? Cause they wanna look like a Harley. My Lt. has a brand spankin new V-Star & everything from down to the "classic" logo on the fender screams "I wanna be a Harley"...The only thing its missin is a big a$$ primary & belt drive.
  15. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Thanks All

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions on the turn signals. I found several places on the net with the parts I need. Now I have to decide if I want to keep the turn signals up by the seat, or move them down to by the tail light. I was mostly just venting, as when something called a "Turn Signal Relocation Kit" does not actually contain all the parts to relocate the turn signals, it just gets my frustration up a bit.

I enjoy reading the posts and the opinions mentioned in them. Thanks Again!
  16. SK

SK New Member

The V-Star isn't air-cooled. The largest of the Star Motorcycle lineup..the 113" belt-driven Road Star is. I rather like their Stratoliner that I got a long test ride on last year around Tucson. Don't really need to do anything to that torque monster..maybe some pipes. I'm glad it's not a Harley.
  17. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'd put the lights back by the taillight

Not sure about what kit you're using but I remember relocating my rear turn indicator lamps on my 89 Sportster to the back of the strut and wound up cracking the rear fender from riding the bike a little agressively and the weight of the lamp assembly out at the far end of the small piece of round tubing that attached to the strut overwhelmed the tin that the strut was bolted to..hopefully they're better now but I'd go with the assembly that ties into the brake lamp..just my thought.
    Just a couple of more thoughts..been a while since I've been here. I can really relate to HellBoy with the part issue with Italian bikes..Some Ducatis actually, make that most Ducatis have some sort of built in wait time for parts..I loved my duck but man!!!! enough's enough. I had considered an Aprilia Tuono but i'm seeing that they're no better. HRK mentions something about BMW riders..I gotta laugh. I bought a 1995 BMW K1100LT new...figured I'd give this luxury thing a go. BMW riders can be a bit anal at times..I rode a "Flying Brick"..inline four. The airheads...Boxer riders, wasted no time in telling me that my bike wasn't a real BMW. OK, I can work with that. When asked about my thoughts on the LT my response was that the bike was barely competent at best, citing some issues such as excessive vibration on the left side of the bike thru the bars and mirrors, the crappy stereo, the obligatory puff of smoke when starting the bike when it is sitting on the sidestand, the rubber mounted handlebars that numbed out some vibration but unfortunately, numbed out any feel from the front end. When talking to the "faithfull" and just trying to be objective about the bike we ride.[aren't we all...:) ] it was then that I found out that perhaps ,just perhaps that a brick is indeed a BMW. Some things about the bike I loved..other stuff drove me crazy.
    Harleys aren't perfect, the days of working on 'em with an adjustable wrench, vice grips and a multi driver are gone but that's OK too. My 04 Electra Glide is slow, wobbles in corners when pushed hard but is relatively easy to work on..always fires on the first push of the starter..I've had better handling, better looking, faster..etc, but this Electra Glide is the one for me.
    Harley is a little slow to evolve..I'm OK with that too
  18. hotroadking

Dutch nothing said about metrics they are what they are, inexpensive mostly reliable motorcycles, and many of which are nothing more than HD clones.

My tounge in cheek humor was that everytime HD rolls out something new there are the people waiting to be first in line, and there are the die hards that wouldn't change from a shovel to a twin cam if you gave them the bike, a nekkid hardbelly horny gal and $10K, ok maybe for the gal and the bike,

still they complained about the evo, then the tc, then the vrod revolution, next will be the water cooled heads, Radiator comments will abound.

To me it's still a HD, doesn't matter, if we left it alone we'd be riding white tired bycycles with 1 cyl 12 hp motors.

:roflmao:
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  19. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I'm all for a state of the art Harley. Anyone here try a Rocker yet? I'm really comfortable on it, but not too comfortable with the price tag!
  20. cardboard

Harley has a Water Cooled bike, its called a V-Rod, do not like the sound of them. I for one will not own one. The EPA has gotten HD to change their motors where they do not sound the same as they did years ago. The sound of a Harley is what makes it. Water cooled will change the sound and make it like Japaneese bikes.:gah: