1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Why Is This Happening?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 14, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, I got the petcock off, looked at the inline. I saw that there was gas inside the inline housing as it is glass so I can see what is floating. There was a little bit of dirt in there, but I think that this inline is doing what it is supposed to be doing. The petcock screen was fairly clean, not anywhere near as bad as it was when I first starting having these issues. I looked in the gas that was drained and I thought it was really clean. So I think the problem that I was having was a lack of fuel because there was not much at all that drained out, probably not even enough for the petcock to draw fuel. i have noticed with other times of draining the tank that in order to get the tank empty, I would have to slosh the tank a around to get all fuel out. I put more gas in it and it fired right up. I guess I should think about putting on a fuel gage, but they are so ugly and expensive.

I FEEL LIKE THE DUMBEST BIKER ON THE PLANET!!!:angry::banghead::D
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sportys have that problem

There is a new fuel gauge for the
    sportys that is a LED replacement cap for the top of the
    front brake MC..

Don't know if it would work for you or not.

YOu need to get some feel for the mileage you can go before you hit reserve
    and make sure you never ride on reserve unless necessary,

So if you can do 80 miles on regular setting, then reset the Odometer after every fill up..

Beats pushing a bike...
  3. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I have seen that gage, and I am not sure if I want that on the bike. You are most right for sure that having one of those is better than pushing the bike. Like I said, it just kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. I guess I have to have an idea what it is that I have for gas.
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Being from the old school I always reset my trip odometer at each fill up I know I can go 225 +- miles before I hit reserve, my fuel gauge quit on a trip back in 08 and I haven’t bothered to fix it yet, never worked that well anyway. Before trip odometers I’d add in my head how far I could go before needing fuel again. I think my 05 is the first Harley that I owned that had a fuel gauge.
    I’d still check the needle seat channel as mentioned previously.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Hey Chucktx, I do not think that I need ya to find a better cap for me. I have discovered that putting gas in the bike works miracles. :D
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hehehehehe, ya, i saw that!!!!!!!!! welcome to the club!!!!!!
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I think we all have run low at one time or another , your not the first :rolleyes:
  8. JohnnyBiker

That is a nice way of saying that I am a dip ****.:eek::D