1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wicked Hot Start Kickback

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Aka: CB ! Ha!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Lucifer likes this.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Fuel pressure gauge came yesterday....when I hooked it up and turned on ignition switch fuel pump primed and gauge went to 60lbs, but started bleeding off immediately...when I started the bike the needle on the gauge was bouncing between the 50-60lb marks (same as in video) with the bike idling and goosing the throttle but as soon as I turned off the engine,the needle set at 56lbs but started bleeding off right away,went down fairly quick,hung up at 32lbs for a couple of seconds then continued to bleed off,within a minute it was down to 22lbs,after a couple beer it settled and stayed at 15lbs....
    Diagnostic manual doesn't say anything about the line holding pressure,just that it should be within 55-62lbs with engine idling,but I thought BP said it should hold pressure between 55-62lbs for about a minute and in the video the gauge appeared to hold the pressure until the guy pushed the relief button....
    My uneducated guess is the the pressure regulator is fubared...anything else it may be???
  3. Fatboy128

Just an assumption on my part but I doubt the pressure is supposed to remain high after turn off. Why else would we have the light after turn on telling us to wait until pressure comes up THEN hit the start button.

4. Lucifer

That's what I'm unsure of... I know the pressure will bleed off,but it went to 60 and started bleeding off right away even before I hit the start button,I would think it should pressurize and hold it for start up and for a little while after shut off....seems to me it's bleeding off pressure a little too quickly....But I really don't know...:confused:
  5. Fatboy128

What I would do is leave ignition on without starting and see if the pump kicks in again to bring the pressure back up. I know my bike will need to bring pressure back up if I turn on ignition then get to the point when I can start, then turn off ignition and turn it back on. That tells me mine bleeds off quickly. I'm not home otherwise I would try leaving ignition on snd see what the pump does.

6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Simplify your life, brother, and switch to a CV carb ;).
    Lucifer likes this.
  7. Lucifer

:hilarious: LOL!!
  8. Lucifer

Did some home schooling on EFI yesterday,I think I learned enough to be dangerous:p...
    Fuel pressure is supposed to hold for at least several minutes,may drop a couple of pounds,but still should hold significant pressure...That's the reason you have to depressurize the system before taking anything apart...
    I did a test with pressure gauge to see if it was an in tank problem or a possible leaky injector...I hooked up the gauge without the supply line attached and if pressure held it would have most likely been an injector,but it didn't....Pressure dropped off at the same rate so the problem is in tank(got this tip from HTT)
    This will be the first time I've had to use a Multimeter to troubleshoot a fuel delivery problem though...unless the problem is visually obvious,like a cracked regulator housing or hole in fuel lines
  9. Fatboy128

Keep posting! I'm getting dangerous I mean educated too!

10. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Only problem I've had on my bike caused by a part breaking was a cracked fuel filter canister. After 70+K miles
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

fuel return line on older EFI MM typically wore pin holes in the line in the tank, this would result in poor running bikes, bad fuel pressure etc.

Very common problem
  12. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

If you had a loss of pressure could it be a leaking injector? If you have a leaking injector you should be able to remove the sparkplugs with the engine hot and see fuel vapor in the cylinder with the bad injector. Looks like wisps of fog if viewed on a boroscope with a video screen. You need the engine hot so the fuel is vaporized.
  13. Fatboy128

And use a match to see inside the cylinder when you turn on the ignition !

14. hotroadking

or just pull the injector out, put it in a glass jar and turn on the ignition.

Extinguish all smoking materials first...
  15. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Then add ice. Mmmm
  16. Lucifer

Mine's '03... Delphi....I changed tanks on this bike 4 yrs ago,split the old fuel lines and zip tied them over the new lines,didn't hear any hissing in the tank when I turned on the ignition,only a gallon or so in the tank now....

A leaky injector could cause the loss of pressure,but second test I did was without the fuel line to the injectors attached so any loss of pressure would be from in the tank...Pressure loss was the same as 1st test but I eliminated the injector as the cause of pressure loss in the 2nd test...
  17. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Guess I skipped that step.
  18. Lucifer

Well, I learned something else new today about Harley's EFI....When my bud and I switched tanks 4 yrs ago the fuel flow got reversed:shame:Line went from pump to regulator housing then in through the filter outlet and out the filter inlet to the supply line and on to the fuel rail and injectors....The bike ran like that for 4 yrs [​IMG]
    I couldn't find any tests to find bad parts like regulator or filter in the diagnostic manual other than to test the pump and all I could find for that was,if it ran it was good...
    I don't know if our screw up running the fuel lines fubared the regulator or the filter or both...but being stupid should cost ya!! I ordered a regulator and filter from the dealer...they had them in stock but I couldn't get there before closing today...

I wonder how the bike will run when I reroute the fuel lines the right way
    I could not find a cross reference for the regulator or fuel filter anywhere so I could get the parts at the local auto parts store and not pay the HD part number premium:arghh:...Regulator wasn't too bad at $55.00 but $105.00 for the filter kit...:eek::wideyed:
  19. hotroadking

Well it should run better
  20. Lucifer

Picked up the new regulator and filter kit yesterday...$120.00 for the fuel filter kit(outfukingrageous).... On the way home I remembered I was short one clamp, you get 2 with the filter kit and I needed another one for the supply line,no problem,I'll stop at Canadian Tire on the way home and pick up a regular hose clamp... 7/32 was the smallest they had....
    Installed regulator and filter with hosed routed properly this time:rolleyes: and put worm gear on supply line,put it all back together...need to put canopy and dash on the king to power up for a test....Put the gauge on,turn ignition on,pump goes to 60...pump stops,pressure drops to 0!!:arghh::banghead I take gas cap off,hit ignition...pump primes n stops....Hissss drip drip!!Fck...Pump housing was soaked with gas,appears gear clamp didn't clamp tight all the way around,kinked a bit...I'm getting pretty good at taking the pump assembly outta the tank now though...
    Lesson 3 ...don't cheap out on clamps on a pressurized fuel system...:)