1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wide Glide 180MM Rear Tire

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Jun 6, 2010.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I'm looking at an 07 Wide Glide. The tires are about shot with only 7700 miles. I found the SE wide tire conversion kit. I figured it all has to come apart to change the tire so why not do it. Will a 180mm tire affect the handling in corners? The WG that I've rode seemed to have to be muscled through the corners. If look is the only advantage then the kit is a waste of money. I had a mechanic tell me that the wider tires make handling that isn't as good as a narrower tire. Hope someone can help.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

someone on here did that conversion.....they will see an probly chime in.....
    also, there is a point where the handling does suffer as the tires get wider, and i believe 180 is the line.
  3. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Thanks for the reply chuck. Seems there are a lot of products to suck away your hard earned money that look nice but don't perform like they should. Hope someone that has done that mod will post. Thanks.

Kevin
  4. steveb

steveb Active Member

On the different bikes I have road it felt to me that the ones with a wide back tire needed to be muscled more thru the corners. I have been on rides with others thjat have been on Big Dog bikes with a 200 mm rear tire and they really have trouble on tight corners.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep have to agree with above , seems the wider the rear tire the harder it is to corner good two of my nephes had big dogs one had a 200 tire & the other had a 250 I found both the handle bad on corners
  6. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Wide tires look good on show bikes but IMO they have no place on the road - unless ya plan on running a straight line fore ever. JM2c worth.