1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wierd Ignition Problem Road King

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by IrishIndian, Mar 10, 2013.

1. IrishIndian

IrishIndian New Member

Appreciate any ideas & help... I recently bought a 98 Road King and the test ride went fine, trailered it home 2.5 hrs and went to start it and no go so let it set till next morning. Ran the battery down so used a 12amp charger to get the new battery back up and tried starting it while the charger was still hooked up. Finally got it started and went for a cruise. Stopped and shut it off a few times and started back home, at that point I had not opened the throttle fully so I did and all of a sudden it sputtered and was only running on front cyl. Make a long story short the bike runs fine until I open the throttle all the way and then #2 cyl looses spark to the plug. Not a fuel problem but for some reason full throttle kills the spark to the plug wire on #2 cyl. It has a Crane HI-4 ignition and I'm wondering if I did some damage when I was trying to start it while the 12amp charger was working at the same time.... I'm planning on replacing the plug wires just to eliminate that possibility so that will leave the coil and Crane ignition as the only other possible culprits, I think..... Any ideas?
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I am not that familiar with the older bikes but is this one fuel injected with the old MM system?
  3. IrishIndian

IrishIndian New Member

They replaced the original carb with a Mikuni....
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Is that the Crane nose cone ignition?? There were a few problems with them going south because of the heat...But... check for loose grounds and corroded connections first...:) If it does happen to turn out to be the ignition,replace it with an Ultima ignition,they're not too expensive and are the same as the Dyna 2000i and the heat doesn't seem to bother them as much...
  5. IrishIndian

IrishIndian New Member

I can't answer your question about it being a "Crane nose cone ignition" ....... All I know for sure is it is marked " CRANE HI-4 "
    Thanks for the tip on the Ultima....
    Electrical, what a joy.... I'd much rather spend the "tracking down the problem time" to "riding time" but I guess you can't have one without the other...
    Thanx
  6. Lucifer

There's 2 types...one is an external module...it would mount under the side cover on your RK and the nose cone type the whole unit mounts under your timing cover

Here's a pic of the 2 types....1st pic is external module, 2nd is nose cone unit

http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/90004001b.pdf
  7. IrishIndian

IrishIndian New Member

It looks like figure #3 and is located behind a cover on the right side of the motor at the bottom under the air cleaner....
  8. Lucifer

OK...it's a nose cone unit...figure 3 is a diagram on how it's wired in...these are the ones there were some problems with,not saying that's your problem,but it's a possibility...you want to eliminate the simple stuff first...
    There's not a lot of wiring in the ignition circuit so go through it from the battery to ignition switch down to the coil and coil to module,making sure connections are clean and tight...if everything's good,then I'd try a new set of plugs...

A way to test to see if the Hi-4 is bad is to start the bike and let it idle,then take a hair dryer and put some heat to the module(not wide open,but you wanna warm it up),if it starts to misfire when it gets a little warm,the module is the problem
  9. IrishIndian

IrishIndian New Member

I talked to Crane tech & they said to switch the 2 primary wires to the coil & the plug wires and if the problem moved from the rear cyl to the frt cyl the problem is in the coil, if not, the problem is in the ignition module... Gonna check it out tomorrow, a little damp here in Southern Indiana today... I'll let you know what I find out & thanks for your help.
  10. Lucifer

Good luck...:cheers:
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

OK bike has been sitting you go for a ride it's all jake

Then it's trailered home, bouncing around, all kinds of things happen
    the odds that coil failed on a trailer ride are slim. SHidt happens, I had one
    take a dive during a build, on the way in, fine, on the way out, shidt, frankly
    I think someone in the shop swapped my good coil out for their POS coil and
    gave me the bill... It's why I do this stuff myself.

I'd venture that you have dirty fuel, if it sat for a while the trailer ride
    could have got crap to be loosened up, Drain the tank, drain the carb.

Clean bowl, clean out jets, a small can of compressed air like used to clean keyboards works fine. put in fresh fuel, if it's got a filter, change it. Check vac lines from petcock to carb, make sure it's not bent or cut or loose.

Work through the fuel issue first,
    You need Fuel, fire and compression, rule out each
    one at a time, electrical is always the beeatch to do
    so Check compression if you can (i'd skip that because it ran but you never know)
    check fuel. If you have both, then go to the ignition..
  12. IrishIndian

IrishIndian New Member

Drained and cleaned the tank, filter & carb problem is not fuel, no spark to rear cyl after warmed up and full throttle... Crane tech said it's kinda common, either coil or crane ignition most likely the culprit... I talked to Crane tech & they said to switch the 2 primary wires to the coil & the plug wires and if the problem moved from the rear cyl to the frt cyl the problem is in the coil, if not, the problem is in the ignition module...
    Thanx, will let ya'll know what I find in a few days.......
  13. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're on the problem, but just in case I'll add that my '99 'King (not an Evo like yours) had similar symptom some years ago. Turned out to just be a bad spark plug cable. If the Crane check doesn't work, that cable is something else to check.
    :cheers:
  14. IrishIndian

IrishIndian New Member

Thanx.... before I do anything I'm gonna try switching the plug wires, if it does the same thing but moves from rear to front cyl it would be the plug wire breaking down under load..... I love doing electrical stuff but I don't enjoy or have test equip to do "electronics"...... that's why at almost 62 yrs of age I'm definately old school. I remember when you could set points with a match book cover.... Ahhhhhhh, the good old days... Gonna go out and do some work on it this afternoon, we'll see what happens... thanx to everyone ")
  15. Lucifer

Keep us posted.... A regular VOM/mulitmeter would be enough to check most electronic problems....Yeah,the good old days....that's why I always had a pack of cigarette papers in my pocket ;):roflmao:
  16. IrishIndian

IrishIndian New Member

I still use the VOM I built in the mid 60's...... Remember "Archer Kits" ???? Radio Shack..
  17. Lucifer

Heh,so you've been into electronics for a while....nope,never did built my own AM radio...too busy with the cigarette papers. lol
  18. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

I guess that was the only reason u carried that pack of papers too:roflmao:
  19. Lucifer

:D As far as I can remember;)
  20. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

:wtf:well the only problem i found is that they would run better if i used the zig zag papers if i used the bugler they were not as smooth . must have been the skunk weed .lol!:roflmao: