1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wierd Ignition Problem Road King

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by IrishIndian, Mar 10, 2013.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Oh, now we're talkin' about the good ol' days! Bugler papers were thicker as I remember. And yes, I have used a matchbook cover to set points in a pinch.

Been considering going to EI, but I think now I'll stay with the points/condensor/battery ignition. Have heard other stories about heat failure with the EIs.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

God Joshbob, you brought back those long ago memories. Match book cover worked pretty good to. :D
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

It's not really a wide spread problem JB... The older Hi-4's were problematic but all in all electronic ignitions are a big improvement...I remember replacing fubared condensers with brand new right outta the box fubared condensers...then the pak of papers wasn't used to gap the points...lol
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yup, they were used to help gap the mind! Ha-ha! I've heard that the newest version of the crane EI (for shovelhead) is supposed to be impervious to heat. I'm thinking at $300 they dang well oughta be.

But I'm sticking with the points for now because they are far more cost effective. I use high end points/condensors (around $40 a pop) and carry an extra pair in my tool bag. So far I've have had no issues with a faulty condensor. And you know, if you break down on the road because your EI burned up, you're pretty much stuck and looking at $300 to replace the dang thing. That is, if you DIY.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

LOL...you could always carry a spare pick-up sensor if you used an external module,but SOL if a cone module is used...
  6. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

You bike will run alot better with a dyna 2000i or the Ultima equilalent.
  7. capnfred

capnfred New Member

I have the Dyna-s single fire setup, but I carry a full points, Condenser, Plate, and cam... in my bag... JIC.... but the dynas are pretty bulletproof
  8. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Dont know if bike has two coils are not but if plug wires are good swap coils front to back. Had an old BMC chopper that acted similar and it was the coil. When every thing got to operating temp it would act up like that.