1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Will MoCo ever offer a "trike upgrade"?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by The Tourist, Nov 22, 2010.

1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

In my parents old home town of Menomonee Falls there is a Harley plant that rebuilds motors. They even over upgrades in their size of these motors.

In like manner, I found a NIB CVO inverted fork for Betty quite easily.

It seems that MoCo will sell you anything at any time, and that got me thinking.

The Harley demographic is aging. Most of that population is +60 years of age. But we like our bikes, and many have unique custom touches.

In my case, my wife has but a few years until full retirement, and a trike would make a great vehicle for day trips. While she has little interest in same stuff we did as teenagers, a cushy ride appeals to her.

I'm wondering if MoCo will offer a "trike rear-end" upgrade?

In the near future I cannot see selling off Betty for a loss and then buying a +35K geezer glide with three wheels. But I could see backing Betty into the shop and having her converted. I get to keep my bike and reconnect with my wife while taking longer trips.

Granted a 2004 frame might not fit the current trike undercarriage. But then, the CVO front end on Betty was designed for a 2006 bike with a 21" inch wheel.

What do you think?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I think those trike kits already exist,
    however not with the body that you'd like to mount to.

The new FL's from hd 09 and up have the new frame
    the tail section bolts to the main frame, ie the rear fender
    struts don't weld on they bolt on.

So it could be converted to a trike easy..

There are trike kits for sporty's you just back the bike in and connect
    to the frame... More about ability to ride than comfort on the seat JMO>
  3. The Tourist

I guessed they might, but I do not know anyone personally who has done the mod.

Oh, another thing. I want OEM parts. Black Betty is a custom, but all Harley. I can get service anywhere. And my shop won't work on things like S&S motors or after-market frames.

Considering the price of newer bikes, I want to to be able to get parts and service.

A trike is no real sacrifice for me. My knees are good, Betty is paid for and I have a Sportster. But I'm pretty much a "stay at home Dad" for the next few years. That's going to change and I'd like to keep riding and take more trips.
  4. hotroadking

5. The Tourist

Those I have seen. In fact, we have a coversion company right outside Madison. I'm looking for an OEM direct replacement.

I had to shag all over and the mechanic had to search through parts books to get the complete list of parts just to bolt on the CVO front end. I'm hoping that Harley will have a list that provides all of the correct part numbers in one place.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

check with a dealer......they may help
  7. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

They are out there. We used to make swing arms for one Leman trikes.

Attached Files:

8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Now that one might be fun to ride, for a mile or two :)
  9. The Tourist

There's no doubt that a dealer could do it, but without some form of "package" it's a real hassle. The parts list for my inverted fork ran over three pages of line items. Every nut, bolt, cable, screw, fork stop, etc.

But as we age through the system this type of customization will undoubtedly become more common. Harley guys customize everything!
  10. hotroadking

Voyager is bolt on, bolt off, perfect for home user
    you can convert from bike to trike, the others
    require replacing the rear wheel with a diff system.

They may be in the long run better trikes
    but for off and on systems the Voyager is
    the one. All parts are supplied with the
    kit...
  11. The Tourist

If that V-Rod trike had some luggage space it might be a good touring bike, which is what I'll be looking for in +3 years.

I do know that I'll be taking out a Harley trike during next spring's demo days. I'd like to see how they actually handle. Some of the trikes now have rear wheels that 'lean' into turns. I'm hoping that the technology improves by the time I'd like to actually buy one--or have Betty converted.