1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Will Scr.Eagle ign. help?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by sayler2b, Feb 10, 2005.

1. sayler2b

sayler2b New Member

Hey All! I have a 2003 FXST (carb) pretty much stock 'cept for SE air cleaner set up, rejet, and SE slip-ons. My question is if whether or not money would be well spent on the SE ignition parts, like the coil, plug wires, and module box? I can see where the upgraded spark plugs would benefit a guy, but are these expensive electronic upgrades gonna do any good without cams and whatnot? Anyone else put the ignition parts on? Any more performance?
    Thanks for any input!
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Hot Ignition

Hey there Sayler, to me your question deals about money. If you got the funds to get the good ignition,coil and wires, then go for it, it will make your bike run better. Not a large H/P gain, but you will Know/feel it. But if your financially challenged like me, just wait until you think it needs to be replaced.
  3. bxbutch

bxbutch New Member

save your money & put it to cams
  4. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Cams

Well, yes, good cams are nice, but dont you think that a nice hot ignition to fire up that new air/fuel mixture would first be needed to optimize your new cams?.
  5. bxbutch

bxbutch New Member

i dont think you wil see any benefit from sc ign with the mild mods he is talking about
  6. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Mild mods.

Hey Bx, If you will see any benefits for his mild mods is debatable. And your thought of just putting in cams without an upgraded ignition is REALLY debatable. Thats why its called an upgrade. Sayler's question was if it was worth the money or not. I said if you got the money, go for it. If not, stay with what you got. O.K.?
  7. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Ignition Systems

There are several good systems on the market. There may be minor power/torque/fuel mileage benefits over the stock ignition in a stock engine. If you look at serious horsepower from high compression and fuel gobbling cams in high rpm engines, an upgrade ignition may become a necessity instead of a nicety. There is a system on the market that uses knock and temperature sensors to automatically provide maximum advance without knock. I have heard that you can burn regular fuel instead of premium and not worry about damage from preignition/detonation. The catch here is that it is around $500 for the module and the harness adapter to hook-up. I not sure if this site sells this unit so I won't make a shameless plug for it. If anyone has had any experience with it you know the one I'm talking about. I would be interested in any feedback on it. I'll probably go to an upgrade in my Softtail at some point in time but right now I have other priorities.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

OK

I agree with both that the iginiton by itself may or may not provide an increase similar in value to the $ spent.

With a new ignition you can raise the rev limit and get more useable power out of the motor a plus with the better breathing of the stage 1.

It's also a good tool to have installed when you go to stage 2 or 3 or whatever.

My personal Favorites

S&S IST, expensive yes, but kool factor 10, adjustability (self adjusting no tuner needed, knock sensor, temp sensor major plus for novices and gurus IMHO)

Daytona Twin Tech

Crane HI-4tc

HD Race tuner is cool but you need a PHD to run it

EFI Get a DFO on stage 1 if that's all you'll ever do or a Powercommander USB or race tuner if you go big bore (S&S has an ignition that is great for EFI as well)

Summary, if you have the $ go ahead, you can always add cams later and that's a whole nuther thread.
  9. CD

CD Guest

Consider this also.

1. A bone stock engine can show power gains on a dyno with an adjustable ignition alone.
    2. A Stage I gives 15-25% boost in power initially and with a good box you can gain even more. However, I do not necessarily say it is a "must" at this point at all. That depends on your wallet and if the bike pings, rattles etc.
    3. After Stage I, a good, adjustable box is a must. S&S, Crane, Daytona Twin Tech all are good for carbed bikes.

We have altered curves on the dyno by simply changing the advance slope on the box. We have gained power by simply adding a good system. There are literally dozens of magazine articles repeating these tests.
  10. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Ignition Systems

:eek: Agree totally with hotroadking on kool factor of IST ignition. Probably is a great ignition for the novice and pro alike. Adjusts timing with conditions, style of riding, octane of fuel etc. If it has a suitable knock sensor, it will prevent inaudible pings as well as the ones that sound like a handfull of bearings bouncing on top of the piston. That is one thing that other systems cannot do. Used to have some large industrial engines on our pipeline system and used vibration(low frequency), pressure, and ultrasonic(high frequency) probes to adjust fuel/air ratio and timing. We could pick up pinging with these probes that couldn't be heard by ear but were there just the same. Over a long period of time this inaudible pinging can be almost as harmful as the banging type from a seriously over advanced ignition.

Hotroadking mentioned several good systems. Based on what I'm hearing so far, I place the IST unit unofficially on the top of the heap. I would like to hear from someone besides S&S as to how great it actually is. Behind that I like the Crane unit... mainly because of the tweakability. You can changed advance curves, initial timing, and can vary the rear cylinder + or - a few degrees with respect to the front cylinder. If you like to experiment with different settings, this system has your name on it.
  11. CD

CD Guest

I have a good friend the has used one and has a love / hate relationship with it. The knock sensor will retard at odd times with no apparent pinging and he has gone through two units.

He says that when it is on it is sweet city but, if it is acting up it really can get aggravating.

IMHO unless you are getting serious with the build, a Crane or Daytona Twin Tech is just fine...
  12. Breeze

Breeze New Member

IST Ignition

Thanks for the heads up on the IST. Maybe by the time I get serious about changing units they will have the bugs out of it... if not I'll probably go with a Crane TC unit. :cool:
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I have found if the IST is acting up the Knock sensor is either in an incorrect position or, the top motormount is loose. FWIW may help him out, check those two out.