1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Windshield mount

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Jun 11, 2009.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I installed a clearview shield a few weeks ago. It appears that I didn't get the three bolts tight enough and allowed the shield to move up and down a bit. I noticed it was loosed on right corner and pulled it up and also found that the inside of shield had some deep scratches. Some reason I thought there was supposed to be foam on inner and outer fairing. Thought maybe could put foam with sticky tape on inner fairing side. Still trying to figure out why shield got loose. Any info would be appreciated.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the outer fairing usually has a very thin strip of weatherstrippping. i went to the local hardware store and got some sticky one side thin weather striping and attached it to the bottom of my windshield. there is a torque for the screws holding the fairing on. DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF LOCKTITE ON THE SCREWS!!!!
    the small brass ferrels in the inner fairing have to be replace soon enough. i would go to the dealer and get 3 of the repair ferrels and have them handy.....you will need them sooner or later. they install with the slotted side first. i have a drawer full of em for my friends/customers....
  3. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Hey Chuck:

Which side of the shield did you install the foam? There is some kind of foam on the outer fairing but it is against the fiberglass of the inner fairing. Can I put foam on the inner fairing piece?
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes, either side. just be careful when tightening it up....dont want to crack anything.......