1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Windshield or not?

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by Red Rider, Sep 20, 2006.

?

Windshield or not

1. Love 'em - don't ride without one anymore!

35 vote(s)
    68.6%
  2. Hate 'em - they're for sissy-non-hackers!

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Like 'em alot, but like without more

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Dislike 'em, only use one when I really have to.

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Still researching before buying a full face helmet for the highway. The 3/4 isn't really enough, at least without a shield. I've been feeling a steady stream of something, sand, fine pebbles, I don't know, but it's nasty. It would be nice if the screen handles it though, I'm not too fond of a full face helmet, but then again, I might learn to like it. What's next for me I wonder, battery heated gloves? ;)

Damn, the idea of a bee smacking my eyeballs is scary, glad you were OK Fujimo.
  2. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Never Had One, Never Tried One So I Can't Knock It, Plenty Of Times I Wish I Had One. I'm Sure When I Get A Little Older I'll Quit Sacrificing Looks For Comfert. Then Agian It Depends On What Kinda Ride'n You Do. For Me It's Around Town. Not Much Hwy. My Ass Starts To Hurt Before Anything Else.
  3. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I noticed a little Road Rash myself yesterday ;) Guess the Badlander seat's really for local runs.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hell boy........that is called "monkey butt".........get ya a supply of "gold bond powder" and use it!!!! really helps with it, also a sheep skin cover works wonders............
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Chucktx, there is also a good powder called Monkey Butt and its made just for that purpose. Never used it but herd guys swear by it.
  6. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Gold bond it is, thanks Chuck! That brings to mind that I need to start a thread about seat recommendations. I have this really bigass (I believe it's called Sundowner) Harley Sportster seat and it's really comfortable and even helps to keep the bike stable because I have more control from my legs. The only problem is that it's butt ugly, (I'm tempted to say Monkey Butt ugly) It just ruins the Sporty's good looks. I'd like to find a compromise between the Badlander and the Sundowner. Style AND comfort, is it possible?
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  7. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    To Bee Or Not To Bee

THOSE BEE'S JUST COME WITH RIDING. IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN STUNG YOU ARE NOT RIDING. THE FULL FACE I CAN'T DO. I LOVE TO HEAR AND FEEL ALL I CAN ON MY BIKE. GUMBY 321 REMEMBER 9-11-01
  8. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I have a detachable windshield on my bike, I usually only put it on when its cold, raining, or I have a passenger. Seems like lately Im using it more often though...getting old I guess.
  9. vcj5864

vcj5864 New Member

Maybe I'm not old enough yet! (Just turned 44 yesterday!) But, I hate windsheilds. Cold - put on my leather and maybe a bandana and goggles on my face. I ride about 15k/year and haven't owned a bike with a windsheild other than that KZ400 when I was sixteen. I have an '01 Road King Police with 16" Wild 1 Chubbies and only wear my little "Skid Lid" when the law requires. Lots of guys I ride with have sheilds tho' and like 'em - just not for me. I love the wind, rain, hail whatever - that's why I ride. I ride to KC about 3 times a year and take lots of 500 -1000 mile weekenders and have never wished I had one. To each his own though. It's all about the freedom and "choice" as long as we have it. 2 wheels is 2 wheels and it's all about being comfortable with what and how you ride. I'll never give you a hard time about sheilds or helmets as long as your enjoying the road with me - just not my choice.
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good attitude..............:)
  11. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

In my younger days I rode without one, now I don't ride without it. A lot less fatigue on long rides. And you just never know when something might come off the road at ya. My brother and I were clippin down the e-way one day at about 80. All the sudden, outta nowhere, a crow swoops down after some road kill on the shoulder. The thing flies right in front of my brother and he hits it dead on. The impact broke a 5 inch chunk of Lexan out of the lower corner of his windscreen.

I'm thinking that a bird the size of a crow would take ya right off the bike if it hit ya in the chest at 80.
  12. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I had a similar thing happen to me a couple years ago, but thankfully the bird went just over the top of the H-D "Sport" windshield on my '95 Sportster - my head tucked down behind it !! Wild turkey flew up from a field to my right & yes, he'd have knocked me right off the bike !!

Many years ago I drove semi trucks & about sundown a big pheasant flew out of underbrush on the roadside so quick I didn't have time to react. Went right thru the grille on my Freightliner & bent part of the radiator back into the fan.

Oh yeah, a bird can do some serious damage & although the windshields on my bikes are fairly small, I always use them. Main reason is it takes the wind off your chest & you don't get as tired - but might be enough to keep you from getting wiped out by a bird !!
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I was riding with my brother on a hot summer night a few years back and unknown to us, until we came up on him real suddenly . It was a large owl eating on the road and when he took off I ducked (no windshield back then) and he scraped the top of my helmet. We got stopped and my brother was laughing so hard I almost punched him. Had a bat hit me in the shoulder once while he was swooping for bugs, scared the crap out of me as I didn't see him coming.
  14. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Well, I did my first highway run on an Interstate this weekend. I ran about 80 miles one way. I love the feeling of the wind on the local highways when I'm doing 20-30 miles and back, but I won't soon forget to put my Quick Release windshield on again when I hit a big highway, it was a little spooky for me without one when I occasionally had to hit 65-75 to avoid trouble.
  15. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

The guy I bought the '95 Sportster from said he took the H-D "Sport" windshield off to go to Sturgis once - it ain't "cool" to have a windshield y'know ;) He also said, "I'll never make that mistake again !!"