1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Windshields

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by CloudNineCruzin, Feb 21, 2007.

1. CloudNineCruzin

CloudNineCruzin New Member

What would look better on my 06 Fatboy,a Memphis Shades fat or slim,also what height,13",17",21",they tell me it supposed to come up even with the tip of your nose.I'm 5'8" tall if that helps.Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

bad weather

I'm no expert, but i love windshields. I've learned that in bad weather, i.e fog or rain, it's important to be able to look over the windshield and still drive. so i'm thinking a little short is better than to high
  3. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I have the removable windshield on my 97 Dyna...I didn't like it at first but it does alot to cut down on the wind & cold. (becoming an old man) anyway my height is right about where my nose is & that works out perfect. If I ever get another one though I think Im gonna go wider...loks better & I think it would cut down on the cold a little better
  4. SK

SK New Member

I know some of the old timers think windshields are for sissies or just don't look right on a bike, but they have a purpose. I was on the freeway today on the ole Royal Star when a big rig kicked a rock up against the windshield that wouldn't hit me high on the chest..thank God for that windshield..that would've hurt at 60mph. :eek:
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

hardcores

i'm beginning to think that some of these guys who just hate windshields don't ride as much as they pretend. seems the more you ride the more the more you need one
  6. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Height of the windscreen/shield is a personal thing...both for looks and function. One thing that I found out with the stock windshield on my E-Glide was that the 12 inch that came with the bike ended....EXACTLY where I needed to be looking down the road....so I had that cut plastic bead waver right on the highway where I was wanting to look......My 2 options were going taller then 12 inches or lower....I chose lower for myself and now run a 7 inch.....get MUCH more breeze, but not the full blown....the 12 inch cut out ALL wind.....so didn't like that as it got too hot with no air movment. Best bet would be to try finding a dealer that HAS them in stock, and have someone hold it in approx place so you can see where it hits for you, and if you like it. Good luck!
    Nurse
  7. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Wouldn't ride without one, especially on the e-way. My brother and I were clippin along the e-way one day at a modest 85mph when a seagull swooped down in front of him. He was riding just a head of me and all I saw was an explosion of feathers. The impact knocked a 5 " chunk of lexan out of the side of his windshield. Imagine a 2lb bird hitting you in the chest at 85! The windshield undoubtedly saved his a**.
  8. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Old timers are the ones who usually have em....I have a 23 year old kid I work with who calls me an old man cause I have a windshield on my bike...He'll learn....eventually