1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Winter Project 1

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Lucifer, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Did that last week...have a few parts for the shovel and cop bike getting powder coated gloss black....Temp went all the way up to 20*F but at least it was sunny:rolleyes:
    Indoors in a case is much more comfortable,but like almost everything,you get what you pay for...
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Must be havin' a heat wave up there!
  3. Lucifer

:roflmao:Actually it's been a pretty mild/weird winter,get a little snow then a couple of days later it would get above freezing and rain...snow's gone,then the cycle would repeat...Only the last couple of weeks it's been winter cold...even this morning it's 32*F and foggy...
    That would have been Murphy's Law that when I had to go outside to sand blast we'd get a cold snap....

Cleaned off the right side of the bike yesterday....

[​IMG]

Found my stock front wheel at my fathers place...it still had the hub cap,brake rotor and bearings installed....so I took it up the garage to swap spacers....

[​IMG]

The spacer out of my stock wheel...

[​IMG]

The spacer from the wheel I got the dealer to install bearings and true...

[​IMG]
  4. Lucifer

I measured them and they're the same length:eek::confused:
    Then I think "Brain Fart"....the wheel has to be torqued down to 50lb-ft before checking end play....Keith had just put the axle through the wheel and the speedo drive wouldn't push into the rotor,so he thought the spacer was too long...tightening up the wheel will pull it in:gah:

On the plus side the new wheel had hardly any grease in the bearings...compared to how I greased my own

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's a reason to do your own work...I will buy the wheel seals from them though...if they're in stock:rolleyes:
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

doing it your self is good at least you can trust the mech :D
  6. joshbob

Very true! Like a guy on the shovel forum says: Paid a wrench to mess up my bike - learned it's better to wrench my own bike, then if I mess it up, at least the labor was free. (The experience is always priceless)!
  7. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

Amen...and hang on to those spacers, had a hard time getting one ( i think i threw it away). after torque, my wheels dont seem to spin a long time. i guess its from all the grease.
  8. joshbob

Can't use too much grease! Besides my wheel bearings being stuffed with it , I also packed my steering head full. I use dark brown automotive wheel bearing grease, not that wimpy white stuff they try to sell you at dealerships.
  9. Lucifer

Changed bearings in the wheel last night...got rid of the chinese KML crap that were in it...apparently I bought the wheel fully assembled:rolleyes:
    Screwed around with the race remover/installer and after about 6 or 8 beer decided to scratch the name remover off the tool:roflmao:... Got Keith to weld a bead around the race and then just tapped it out, it practically fell out:D....
    If anyone has to remove a race,that's the way to go...
    Also got a set of gloss black levers...put the brake lever on to see how it looked...looked good..
    Today the wheel has to be cleaned then it's going on and gonna run the throttle cables and if there is a bottle of brake fluid there gonna fill and bleed the front brakes, put the new black clutch lever and new grips on then the front end is complete:D

Wheel done...just scrub the white wall and install

[​IMG]

New brake lever and throttle grip...
    [​IMG]
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

looks good all the way around , My 94 came with those grips ,i got read of them fast , where you get the light shineing on alll that chrome ?:D
  11. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

eeeee's nice...good job dude. races are a beeach without a press, drove mine out with a 3# sledge hammer...never again.
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

excellent job so far!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Lucifer

Not a lot of progress this week...but I did get the wheel on, cleaned the tire some and bled the brakes:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Looks good Lucifer! I like!
  15. joshbob

It's coming together Lucifer - good work! BTW, winter's officially over in a couple of days . . . .:rolleyes:
  16. Lucifer

:roflmao:Only on the calender joshbob...we have about 2 more snow storms and 2 silver thaws to go before it's spring here;)

Thanks Fatboy...I do like the black wheel and stainless spokes....

Stopped in at the dealer here the other day to see if I could get a little break on batteries ....I needed 4...he said $780.00 taxes in only if I pay cash and take all 4 at once..:wtf: Works out to $165 each before tax:cussing: I paid $160 for the battery that's in the Softail 7 yrs ago:angry:
    Found a battery wholesaler in Saskatchewan with free shipping for $119.00 I didn't ask yet about getting a price for 4...
  17. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Charlie46 got the specs on his battery for his 09 SG got one for 79 bucks shipped 3 days !
  18. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

gotta love them wheels...looks great.
  19. Lucifer

That will show you the price difference between Canada and the US:banghead:
    Batteries I'm looking at are Deka's...$139.50 for a Deka for the Road King....$119.00 each for the Softail,Sporty and Shovel(with a FX battery box)
  20. joshbob

Maybe people make more up there to make up the difference? I hear Alaska is off the charts.