1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Winter Project 1

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Lucifer, Dec 3, 2011.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Dang, it always takes more time than we could ever have imagined, sometimes to do even the smallest thing. I think patience (read: longsuffering) is the thing we must learn when messing with our beloved bikes. Other people go around pouting & whining when they don't get what they want right away.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah josh, I am a patient man...The frustrating thing about this winter past was my buddy was short on money and I was short on time,so I came up with the brilliant idea that I'd be a customer,so I didn't have to be there for things to get done,and he could put a couple grand in his pocket...didn't quite work out like I planned....
    Took the cop bike to work Sat morning for it's initial 50 mile break in run (25 miles to work) after heat cycling it a few times, (following S&S break in procedures)

When we started the bike Friday night to take it home,it was a little slow to start and there was a tapping noise when it started,it went away after 30 secs or so,figured a lifter was slow to pump up... same thing when I started it to go to work Sat morning...bike ran great,torque was instant off the throttle and I had the highway all to myself,perfect:D....finished my shift,started the bike,tapping back,a little longer and louder....got quiet after a mile or so....highway run back was the same as on the way out...got back to town,the bike cut out rolling along about 20MPH,started up again,turned off heading to my buddies and it cut out again turning up his street,took a few tries to start...got to his place,running fine,no tapping and idling OK...changed the oil and I went home....next morning...start it up,fired up right away,noise is back...then it cuts out...start again noise is there,but I figured it would quiet down again...took the OL and off we go...get out to the Hwy,she says it doesn't sound right...tapping didn't go away and it's getting really loud now...:wtf: so the simple big bore kit is turning out to be not so simple....got me wondering if the 5 months he left it sitting there apart if some dirt got in and fubared a lifter...
    My patience is wearing a little thin,considering I own 3 bikes and I missed a month and a half of riding because we had an early season start this year:banghead:
  3. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

sorry to hear about your prob's. i feel your pain.
  4. Lucifer

Kinda sucks,but nothing worth complaining about... There's a lot of people around with real problems...a lot worse than just missing some riding...I'll get over it and the bikes will get on the road;)
  5. joshbob

It does sound like a lifter problem. I went with solids on my motor. Less trouble and easy to adjust. No worry about thread count or lifter pumping up. Hope you get it sorted out soon . . .
  6. Lucifer

LOL...I did have to worry about thread count;)...it was a small rag in the bottom end,small rag lotsa threads...had to tear down the engine,drop the oil pan and clean and flush and blow out every line and passage and part..what a job...but it is sparkly clean now:cool:

Should be on the road tomorrow...then I guess I'll have to start the Summer projects:roflmao:
  7. joshbob

At least you didn't leave an allen wrench or some other tool down there - it could've been much worse!:eek: I hope you have a good ride and no more complications.:D
  8. Lucifer

Ain't that the truth...a few gaskets and days is all was lost...no broken parts or blown engine to replace
  9. joshbob

Let us know how your ride goes.
  10. Lucifer

Guess I shoulda called this 3 winters project;)...went up the garage today and started loading up shovel and evo parts...stuff that didn't need to be there to make the bikes run...Evo only needs the carb throttle cables,tanks,clutch lever,saddlebags and seat put on,make her puke, then fire it up:cool:...see how it goes with the shovel...
    Cop bike seems OK, butI'm not sure it has the pull that it should... I didn't do a compression or leak down on it,yet, starving the top end with under 100 miles doesn't sit well with me....overheating is not a good break in move:brick: