1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Winter tasks

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Roadster guy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep FLHT that is a good place to deal with ,I got a part from them a few years back , & you sent me the link
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Nothing is going to go wrong! You're doing everything right!
  3. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Recieved the gas tank Cowboy had sent my way the other day, in even nicer shape than I expected. Thanks again Cowboy. I'll try and get some pics of the accumulated parts to this point and the disassembled shed queen this weekend.
    Purchased a fender yesterday, going to get the tank innards coated, then its off to the bodyshop once fender arrives. So far a blue rear fender, black gas tank, and a red front fender on its way make this the Crayola bike. Hopefully all one color painted before the New Year.
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

How about a before paint pic and a after pain pic :)
  5. cowboy

Roadster guy your welcome glad I could help ya out , Yep before & after pics are in order
  6. Roadster guy

Dropped off the rear fender and gas tank at paint shop today, they're going to pull a wee little gas tank dent and smooth up another before I have the tank steam cleaned and coated inside. Then, final prep and color, and 3-4 coats of clear, should be good. Front fender should be here over the holidays (was about $100)and once I drop it off they will begin to lay the color.
    Changed my mind about the black, now it is a second choice. Found a new color, Metallic Flash Mica, new for 2014 up here. Looks like dark sand in the sun, kind of dark gray when under clouds or streetlights. Should go nice with the dull gray cases and black sidecovers. If it sucks, I'll repaint black. Should have some pics in early January when all is ready.
    Estimate is 5-600ish, and around 100 for tank coating. About what I expected, still on budget. Need to get smarter with my dollar for the last accessories if I'm gonna beat my target of $2500. Carb stuff is January project.
  7. cowboy

Sounds like you running right on your target , new color sounds cool will have to see it
  8. joshbob

Yeah, sounds good. Your comment about the Crayola Bike was funny. Sort of the way some cages look around here when people start replacing doors, hoods, trunk lids, quarter panels etc. with junk yard parts and never get them repainted LOL. Hope the new color works for you - you never really know until everything's together.
  9. Roadster guy

Had an impulse buy the other day I'm not sure about. Bought a smoked LED taillight assembly, genuine H-D, to match the smoked normal signal lights I have. Anybody heard if these are good or a waste of money? 50% off list price on sale at the dealer, so I'm not out too much, just under $100,(darn taxes!) but I am noticing I'm starting to get away from my original plan for this bike as the winter goes on. Hoping all these parts are going to look and work as good as hoped when I put it all together.
  10. joshbob

You should stay with your original vision. Bike could end up looking hodge-podge. I went $3000 over budget on my shovel, but I stuck with my original plan.
  11. Roadster guy

Yeah, you're likely right. I've made a few choices as this went on that are a bit different than the mental picture I started with, many of the parts bought are in the basement, still boxed up. The bike is disassembled in the shed. Once I begin to reassemble it all I'll see how it goes, and some stuff I may use, some stuff I may discard. The way this is going, I might need to buy another one for next winter to build the bike I had in mind for this year! I'll have to tell the wife the spare bike is for her.
  12. joshbob

That would be a good idea.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Keep the vision but keep an open mind, sometimes you find stuff
    that improves the idea, like the phone, from the original discovery to today
    it's nothing like it started out.
  14. Roadster guy

Have had no progress to report lately. Been too cold to go outside. The weather shifted bad, real stormy for a few weeks, and the bodyshop had to put my stuff on the back burner as so many cars needed accident repairs. No big deal.
    Finally had a few days of almost springtime weather and I took advantage of them. Pulled off the intake manifold to replace the rubber gaskets, and what a suprise! The rear one is split like a dry rotted tire, and the front one is similar, not quite as bad. May be the source of that once in a blue moon backfire I still get on decel. Passing torches (Unlit!) over the area caused no difference, but who knows. While the intake is off the poilsh is coming out before the weather freezes again.
  15. joshbob

Good that you found them. Seems like there's always something to replace on our older scooters . . . it never fails to amaze me that they run as good as they do.
  16. cowboy

see it's good that your weather sucks , found some easy fix's on your bike & your out of the wifes way
  17. FLHTbiker

I'm gonna be outta the wife's hair to I gotta dig a 120 foot trench up through the front yard and replace the main waterline. Old stuff has been breaking to much. Then I gotta run two new house ground lines out and pound em 6 for down and they gotta be min 6 feet apart. Then she's got some tile to be laid down. Pull up the carpet in the dinning room and put a tile floor down. Then get to pull the master bath carpet up and put tile down in there. An I'm supposed to be retired.
  18. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

"retired" ha! They just can't exist knowing a man has nothing to do !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  19. joshbob

Yup, a lot needs to be done here, too. Gotta do the Honey-do list or face severe consequences LOL. Here's mine:
    Crown moulding in living room, spackle & paint walls.
    New floor in bedroom, including joists.
    New roof on shed (not my shop).
    Cut back chocolate plant from chimney.
    New roof on house. We're shooting for all this to be done by the end of summer - and I must do it with little to no help . . .
  20. FLHTbiker

Yea this waterline has got to be done very soon. Already patched it twice this year. Once just last week, that was fun in the mud.
    The wife is also wanting a lot done at the house at the beach. Already Maddog and I put a new tile floor down in the kitchen. He is an expert at doing that and I learned a lot from him. Fixed the gutter drains in the ground. We pulled out dry rotter mud sills and replaced where the gutter drains were leaking. Wife's been refinishing the hardwood floors down there. Seems like it never ends.