1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wiring Problem ???

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 21, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I posted earlier about the wifes 04 Ultra trike about the left side signals not working. Originally thought the ECM was bad as that has the turn signal relays in it. So took it to the dealer to install it so they could marry the two together. Well the dealer told us that its not the problem.
    Hmm, now thinking the wiring I did in the bars has a break in it. Checked it all forwards and backwards, nope all is good. Fuses all good (otherwise the r-signal wouldn't work.
    Did a continuity check from point A to point end, the ECM where the L-turn signal input connects, all is good. Checked for the electrical pulse for the L-signal input, yep received a signal. So now I'm back to the ECM.
    Dealer installed one last week that they got from another dealer and it did not make a difference.
    Can't see where it could be anything else at this point, any ideas. One possibility is the one from the other dealer was no good either or they put the original back in thinking they put the new on in :rolleyes:.
  2. HD97FXDC

HD97FXDC New Member

It sounds like the latching circuit is losings the ground. If you have not done so already I would check and clean all the grounds on the bike especially the chassis and bar grounds. Do the hazards work when you push both buttons?
  3. FLHTbiker

The hazards only work on the right side no L-signals and no signal coming from the ECM for the left side.
  4. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you said you can get the R-turn signals to work if you bush the Right turn signal button and you can get the R-turn signals to work if you push BOTH the R and the L buttons? And you can't get the Left to work at all but the signal from the L-button is good to the ECM?

If this is correct I would look at the common side of the L-switch and make sure it is not open or grounded-to-anything.

Other than that I would have to see the circuit drawing but I am pretty sure the ECM circuit is an isolated low voltage circuit and the switch pulls the circuit low but if the common is open then it can't reference it. ( of course we have to assume the ECM is good )

I hope that made sense. I'm just trying to give you some other way to think about it.
  5. FLHTbiker

Thanks for the input Tom. The L-signal does send a pulse to the ECM White/Violet wire. The output from the ECM is a solid Violet wire and has no output from the ECM. There is a voltage signal at the L-signal and when pushed the same signal from the L-switch is present all the way to the ECM.

Seems to me if the ECM recieves a signal from the L-turn switch and nothing out the output then the ECM must be the problem. Tired of working on it today.:(
  6. Tomflhrci98

It's interesting that the color codes are the same as it was in 98. This is the only manual I have. And I was wrong about a isolated low voltage circuit. I see now from this 98 manual that it is all battery voltage. Even though in 98 there is a separate turn signal module the philosophy, I assume, is the same for 04.

BK/GN - is ground to this turn signal module.
    O/W - is power to module.
    BN - Right side lights.
    V - Left side lights.
    W/BN - Signal from Right switch.
    W/V - Signal from Left switch.
    W/GN - This one I can't figure out. It goes to the Speedo, To the radio, the ECM, Cruise.... ???????

These are the only ones that go to the turn signal module in 98.
  7. FLHTbiker

Those are pretty much the same wiring colors as the 04, interesting. Cheaper for HD to keep things the same I guess.

By the way you guys are a bit warm tonight.
  8. Tomflhrci98

For some reason that temp gauge reads high.

It may say 90 right now but it's actually only bout 85.

we are in a heat wave this weak though, just over 100 the next 3 or 4 days.
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

normal for Texas!!!!
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

how do you know the ECM isn't signaling...

They swapped it out and it did the same tells me
    its probably not the ECM, either the signal is not coming into the ecm
    via the switch wire and it doesn't know it needs to send a
    signal to the light or the wire from the ecm to the light is compromised.

JMO

Did you test at the ECM for voltage coming
    out of the wire there or at the light.

You need the pins they sell at harbor freight so
    you can pierce the wire sheathing but not
    damage the wire and check for a signal coming
    from the ecm there...

quick test, pull the wire harness connector for the right and left and swap them up front, see if the problem follows the wires
  11. FLHTbiker

Yep, used my LED test light and checked the pulse in at the ECM White/purple wire (power coming in) and checked the wire at the ECM output purple wire no power out.
    When I took it into the dealer they said the ECM was not the problem. All they did was put another one that they got from another dealer in and tried it. Can't think what else it could be. Right signal out of the ECM works fine and the output for the R-signal at the ECM works (blinks).
  12. hotroadking

possible the output wire is not seating properly

check the output wire for the other side, see if you get any
    voltage.
  13. FLHTbiker

As my previous post said Right signal at the ECM is working has a signal out at the output wire.
  14. hotroadking

check the connector from the harness to see if the pin is still on the wire and that the pin is properly seated, could be a bad connection in the harness connector
  15. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

left arm extended straight out = left turn signal :roflmao:
    I know smart a$$. electrical problems suck
  16. FLHTbiker

Checked it and was OK, talked to the head mechanic at Latus HD and he said I was doing all the right tests and sounds as if it is in the module. I'm bringing it back to them next week after the wife returns from her trip to Vegas. Went to her niece's wedding and I get to stay home and stuff pills down her sick cat plus work on her bike. :cussing:
  17. hotroadking

which one upset you the most, pills in the cat or working on the bike LOL
  18. FLHTbiker

Pills three times a day 6-morning 3-afternoon which she will need at 3 and 4 at 10 PM. Just had to rescue her from almost getting attacked by a Raccoon, dang cat has an enlarged heart with congestive heart condition and she was standing up to a big Raccoon. Won't have to worry about the pills if she ever fights it.
  19. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

be hard to explain though :D
  20. FLHTbiker

Her cardiologist (yes cats even have cardiologists) has told us she has about up to a year to live. Its going to be a bad day here when that happens. Wife has never had kids of her own and Heidi, her cat is like her child. Hard to believe how much we care about our pets.

Attached Files: