1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wiring through handlebars project!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by CHRISRG, Aug 9, 2004.

1. CHRISRG

CHRISRG New Member

So I got some new Carlini Street bars for the fatboy, and I'd really like to run the wiring through the bars, however I'm not sure how to go about doing this. The bars are already drilled for wiring, and the bars are smaller than stock, so there's plenty of wire length. Where do I start on this project? Where do I disconnect the wiring so it can be run through the bars? I have no problem getting the bars off and fishing them through, I just need to know if I disconnect the wires, or do you cut them, run them through and then reconnect? Anyone here tackled this task? Thanks.

Christian
  2. CD

CD Guest

3. CHRISRG

CHRISRG New Member

Thanks CD,

I appreciate the link. That will help a lot.

Chris
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I should have added patience to the list LOL

It's really not that difficult, you should also use a grinder with a stone to smooth out the drilled wholes or a file of some sort to keep the wires from being cut.

Keep a bit of the black plastic covering over the wires where they enter and exit the bars to protect them further from scruffing as you ride and turn.

By putting the spice into the middle of the wires length you keep the original connector on the original color wire going to the plastic connections makes reassembly a snap.

Heat gun and shrink wraps a must as well.

Lay the wires out on a bench and work them to the same length one at a time then do the install. One side at a time.